DCI Tournament of Champions Format

?

I've been waiting on ticket prices as well.

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

I don't think that's something that's going to be set at the director's meetings - more likely a meeting between Dan and the G8 separately.

Anyways, it is indeed getting late on this - I too was hoping to have already had my ticket plans set.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

So, correct me if I'm wrong here...

1. TOC is a separate venue that is judged according to rules set up by the 'Top 8' participants.

2. These same corps will participate in DCI events using what has to be a different set of rules for judging.

3. The TOC shows will completely (or nearly) cut out other corps from any possibility of participation and compensation.

So, what makes Finals so special again? Seems to me that the 'Top 8' are going to be firmly planted to the point that no other corps will be able to break in. They will not get the finances, exposure, or interest that the TOC corps receive and will therefore probably never get the kind of talent that would allow them to break down the wall.

Why is DCI even playing this game? For that matter, why are the other member corps playing the game? Just split up and be done with it. Move on and begin rebuilding drum and bugle corps in the traditional sense (e.g. battery, brass, pit, guard). No woodwinds, limited use or no amplification, actual bugles (G, p/r, limited valves, although modern marching brass is OK I guess), local kids in local corps, teaching kids who have never picked up a horn or drum how to play and march....I digress.

For me, the simplicity is what made this activity well liked by the masses. Broadway shows on the field are cool too, but they don't impact the number of lives that the hundreds of local DBC units have over the years. People are more proud of their kids on stage than any professional group at a local performance. We've lost our way...advancing the art at the expense of the traditional intent does not seem equitable.

When there is a fork in the road, pick a direction and press on. If that means the travelers split up, so be it.

• Like 4

1. TOC is a separate venue that is judged according to rules set up by the 'Top 8' participants.

2. These same corps will participate in DCI events using what has to be a different set of rules for judging.

3. The TOC shows will completely (or nearly) cut out other corps from any possibility of participation and compensation.

Okay,

1. The TOC is actually DCI sponsored venue so it actually isn't a "separate venue" in that case. And no one knows how these shows are going to be judged. There is rumor that there will be some fan text voting along with the current DCI criteria for judging shows but no official word from DCI yet on how these shows will go.

2. The TOC show IS a DCI event and there is not indication that the set rules of judging will be all that different. There has been no word yet.

3. Well, the TOC shows do only allow the top 8 corps from last year to participate. The placements were based on DCI's judging criteria.

So, what makes Finals so special again? Seems to me that the 'Top 8' are going to be firmly planted to the point that no other corps will be able to break in. They will not get the finances, exposure, or interest that the TOC corps receive and will therefore probably never get the kind of talent that would allow them to break down the wall.

Why is DCI even playing this game? For that matter, why are the other member corps playing the game? Just split up and be done with it. Move on and begin rebuilding drum and bugle corps in the traditional sense (e.g. battery, brass, pit, guard). No woodwinds, limited use or no amplification, actual bugles (G, p/r, limited valves, although modern marching brass is OK I guess), local kids in local corps, teaching kids who have never picked up a horn or drum how to play and march....I digress.

For me, the simplicity is what made this activity well liked by the masses. Broadway shows on the field are cool too, but they don't impact the number of lives that the hundreds of local DBC units have over the years. People are more proud of their kids on stage than any professional group at a local performance. We've lost our way...advancing the art at the expense of the traditional intent does not seem equitable.

When there is a fork in the road, pick a direction and press on. If that means the travelers split up, so be it.

Good question, why are we playing this game? I hope you get a response.

3. Well, the TOC shows do only allow the top 8 corps from last year to participate. The placements were based on DCI's judging criteria.

That is the number 2 thing I don't like about this ( # 1 how money is shared or not shared ). The " top 8 " from the last year....

How many kids aged out of those corpd last year?...... ( many from every corps )

How many staff members have changed out?..

How many directors changed out?....

How many new members ( were not there last year ) are there in each corps?...

These are not the same corps that were in the top 8 last year.......