DCI Tournament of Champions Format

The tickets for the Houston show are on sale. As a bonus, you get to pick your seat out like the airlines do now. I don't see any higher prices than in the past. As for the service charge--to be able to pick my own seat vs. trusting someone in the box office to do it is something I'll pay for.

Just wanted to say that I've always picked my own seats at the Houston show. That's because I rarely buy tickets online to any drum corps event. I want to talk to a person while I'm looking at a chart, so I call rather than buy online. I've always gotten exactly the seats I need/want.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess the easy answer is.... if you like the idea of TOC then buy a ticket and go to the show.

If you don't like this TOC idea then don't support it and go to another show.

I will choose a non-TOC event for my dollar and support others with a suvie purchase!

d

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

>DCI used to develop shows mainly mid-summer through finals with some coordination with the Independent Regional Organizations early summer. However, DCM for example, survived not on its regional "status", but on the fact that every corps involved in that region supported their own region as a pre-national tour situation. DCM was able to thrive because headliners like Regiment, Scouts, The Cavaliers, etc. stayed close to home early summer thus supporting DCM. Once those corps began to go national early in the the summer, somewhere around the mid-late nineties, DCM folded quickly. And remember, it was the choice of the Corps' to go national in June "not" the choice of DCI. So, the only way to make this possible "again" is for DCI to force regions on the Corps' (and since DCI is not an independent organization but comprised of the member corps' directors that will not happen) or to have regional organizations like DCNA convince the headliners support their own regions prior to going national; but do not hold your breath.

When DCM died... it had nothing to do with the corps. The corps knew it was a constant source of money, unlike a lot of other shows where you have to wait for your money. DCI killed DCM, not the corps. DCI wasn't getting a cut from those shows.

Edited by drummer79
  • Like 2

Tournament of Champions implies those involved are or have been champions. How then can the Bluecoats be part of this when they've never won a championship?

WHY do we keep rehashing this 'champions' thing?????

WHERE did the Bluecoats FINISH LAST YEAR????

They WERE in the TOP 8 at the Finals in Indianapolis 2010.

Yes - No?

THE TOP 8, or 'Champions' of 2010, are doing a small handful of shows to see if it raises larger crowds in several of drum corps older shows. (by older show, I mean one that has been around for a while).

'Champions' has little to nothing to do with anything before 2010.

WHY do we keep rehashing this 'champions' thing?????

WHERE did the Bluecoats FINISH LAST YEAR????

They WERE in the TOP 8 at the Finals in Indianapolis 2010.

Yes - No?

THE TOP 8, or 'Champions' of 2010, are doing a small handful of shows to see if it raises larger crowds in several of drum corps older shows. (by older show, I mean one that has been around for a while).

'Champions' has little to nothing to do with anything before 2010.

I was going to bring out the "beating the dead horse" pic after Frank posted until I saw your reply. When did the top 8 become known as champions? Because of this tour? Am now I to believe that the DCI champion is now a group of corps and not the outright winner itself? According to what you said, The Bluecoats are now champions so what does that make BD? The champion of all champions?

Edited by skajerk

I have to be honest, it IS confusing to the casual fan, or older fan who doesnt follow it like a diehard would. I've been asked by at least 5 people when the Bluecoats won a championship when they saw the ads

My daughter-in-laws 85-year-old grandmother texts and uses Facebook. Most of the legacy-age people I know of close to my age (57) text back and forth. How does fan voting using texts marginalize anyone?

it doesn't marginalize anyone. If you dont have the equipment or chose not to use 2011 technology it's no one elses fault.

I was going to bring out the "beating the dead horse" pic after Frank posted until I saw your reply. When did the top 8 become known as champions? Because of this tour? Am now I to believe that the DCI champion is now a group of corps and not the outright winner itself? According to what you said, The Bluecoats are now champions so what does that make BD? The champion of all champions?

Its simply the top 8 corps as rated after the semis, quarters, and finals competition at Lucas Oil Field, Indianapolis, Indiana, DCI Championships of 2010.

DCI Finals are considered the Championship of the year and thus the top 8 finalists when it is all over are considered, and rightfully so, the Champions of 2010.

Perhaps it would have been better if DCI had called the tour the Champions of 2010????

Its a tour of the top scoring corps of 2010 -NO ONE can deny that!

Maybe the tour name should be "The Tour of the Top Scoring Corps of 2010 - World Class"?

Not sure THAT would even make everyone happy because their fav is not on the tour.......

So, going by what you're saying, as long as you make the top 8 you're a champion? Too bad for those other four corps that made finals that are now regulated to loser status. And again I ask, what does this make BD the winner of if the 7 corps that finished behind them are now considered the "Champions of 2010", as you put it.

Edited by skajerk