DCI Tournament of Champions Format

So, going by what you're saying, as long as you make the top 8 you're a champion? Too bad for those other four corps that made finals that are now regulated to loser status. And again I ask, what does this make BD the winner of if the 7 corps that finished behind them are now considered the "Champions of 2010", as you put it.

I'm not sure how many, if any, drum corps shows you attend or how many, if any, drum corps you support... but there is no way I would ever call the Bluecoats or Carolina Crown of 2010 non-champions (as so many seem to imply - 'loosers') because they have never 'won' a championship!

The tour is about who finished at the top in 2010 - not 1970!

The idea is to produce a compact drum corps show with proven talent and put it on the road. It is an opportunity to see the TOP 8 corps of 2010. WHY are you against that? Would a tour of just the winning corps of 2000 thru 2010 be more to your liking - if it could be done?

Champion was, perhaps, a poor choice of words by DCI. Agreed.

But, Champion or Looser - that is all you will consider? It should only be about the current WINNER or a tour of revived past 'winners' from decades ago? No current crowd favorites or corps that really pushed for the top at Finals in 2010?

But, why the hang-up on the word? And why slice/dice/mutilate/disparage the fact that these 8 corps DID finish at the top in 2010?

Are you trying to tell me that because my favorite Chicago Cubs baseball team won the World Series in 1907 and 1908 they are, and always will be considered, world champions? I consider baseball 'champions' to be the current WS holder and the teams that did the best last year. This year might have completely different results!

Where in my posts did I say I was against it? Granted, I may not like it but I'm not against it. To answer your question since you won't answer mine, Bluecoats, Crown (and I didn't call them losers) and the rest of the 2-12 corps are what they have been called since 1972... DCI finalists. There is only one champion every year (well, except for '96, '99 and '00)... the corps with the highest score <$1.00 to Jeff Ream> and last year, that was BD. So, are they the champions or are the Elite 8 champions?

For me, any team that has won a championship will be known as champion from that point on. Be it the the World Series, Super Bowl, the Stanley Cup, the World Cup etc. The Rangers lost the WS last year. Are they called the WS Champions? No. Same goes for drum corps. If you haven't earned the trophy, be it DIV. I, II, III, All-Girl, World Class, Open Class, DCA... you haven't earned the title.

Edited by skajerk
  • Like 1

I answered all of your questions, skajerk!

You won't get me to change my view of the fact that the Tour has the top 8 finishers of the 2010 Finals in World Class.....period.

If you choose to disparage one or more of the Tour members (because they have not yet won a World Class title) over a questionable choice in names - there's not a lot I can do.

Perhaps the 'Tour of the 8 Best of 2011' would be a better title next year or will that,too, fire up the people who want to see a tour of just the winners of the last decade?

A show of 7 or 8 Blue Devils corps would be........interesting........?

No hate here! I have stood and applauded the efforts of each and every winner for decades, no matter who they are or if I fully understood what I have paid to see and hear.

Its the effort and ability of each and every corps member that I applaud, they don't have to all be winners!

But was the Tour name a bad choice of words?

DCI 'thought' the word Champions would be used in the promotional sense, not the literal sense.

We might agree there, but not on who is included in the tour........

So, why are the 9 -12 finalists not considered champions, then?

because they didn't have the pull to kill the idea or force their way in

For me, any team that has won a championship will be known as champion from that point on. Be it the the World Series, Super Bowl, the Stanley Cup, the World Cup etc. The Rangers lost the WS last year. Are they called the WS Champions? No. Same goes for drum corps. If you haven't earned the trophy, be it DIV. I, II, III, All-Girl, World Class, Open Class, DCA... you haven't earned the title.

But ya gotta admit that "Tour of Champions" sounds more catchy than "Tour of Recent High-Placing Finalists." :tongue:

• Like 1

But ya gotta admit that "Tour of Champions" sounds more catchy than "Tour of Recent High-Placing Finalists." :tongue:

I don't know, Fran. ToRHPF has kind of a ring to it. Something Rich Skare probably would've appreciated! :cool:

• Like 1

I don't know, Fran. ToRHPF has kind of a ring to it. Something Rich Skare probably would've appreciated! :cool:

Good point. He would have stomped it. :thumbup:

• Like 1

"Tour of Champion and 7 corps that didn't quite win it all"

he'd like the 7

• Like 2

The naming of the TOC was clearly not well-thought out....but, as someone closely connected with BAC, I can tell you that we just refer to those guys as the "other eight corps"....

For what it's worth, the staff and members of Boston aren't losing an ounce of sleep over them. Of course, nobody has any idea as to how we will place this summer, but we'll still consider ourselves as good as anyone else regardless. I guess we have the advantage of 71 years worth of perspective....in any event, move-in starts today and we have a show to perfect. :smile:

• Like 1