plastic/resin rifles

Guard Diva

Band Shoppe is now selling some kind of plastic or resin "unbreakable" rifle called the "X-Factor."

My band director wants to pay extra for these as opposed to buying the wooden premier rifles....

has anyone used these new plastic/resin rifles? thoughts? good? bad?

From the website: Made of molded Polyethylene Polymer that allows your rifle to be virtually unbreakable. Every rifle is identical and free of defects and 100% recyclable. The first rifle to have the exclusive Style Plus weight system (sold separately) that allows you to adjust the weight for each individual user while maintaining the balance point.

Base weight is 2.2 lbs. Available in 36" and 39" lengths with your choice of Gold, Silver or Black bolts and White or Black leather straps. End pads available in White only.

Edited by Toby

We had trouble with these rifles breaking, always in the same spot, at the neck. To be fair, it was one of the earliest versions. Don't use them anymore. Bandshoppe did, however, replace every rifle that broke.

Also, the newer versions had a slight texture to them which some tapes didn't stick to very well.

Good Luck!

• 2 weeks later...

i have not used or seen the bandshoppe rifle u are talking about, but i did out of curiousity buy an elite pro rifle which is director's showcase's version of this. very weird to get used to. there's a wiggle in the gun when u catch. u have to tape the ends of the gun because it catches air in the holes and slows the gun down on tosses. you also have to tape the rifle because it's too slippery. i couldn't imagine what it would be like in the rain!!! my opinion... stick with the wood...

Bluecoats used them this past summer in the closer.

I have not spun them myself but had friends who have, and they weren't a big fan.

If you're going to used them in anything similar to the drum corps heat, they tend to bend and bow.

It's different, but I'm sure that's why its uncomfortable for some people.

• 1 month later...

Ive been using the plastic rifle since summer of 2010. I dont remeber where we ordered them from (I got it through my school) But I like them. You just have to tape it. It takes acouple weeks to get used to them. But they spin fine. My rifle has gone through ALOT of damage but it shows no sign of breakage. If it was a wooden rifle it would have been destroyed in 2 weeks.

Get the plastic rifle!