Rules Congress

Just wanted to say that it was a complete effort of all the staff & caption heads that were present to come up with this new system...a side note..GE is also based on excellence..if its not performed well its not going to be effective therefore it will reflect in the score...DCA has 3 harworking prepared caption heads along with passionate corps staff that will make sure this system will work...

Edited by jimdugan

Ok, a rare diatribe by Glen Johnson follows ...

I dunno, I think the "homer" advantage might be a little overblown. People aren't going to sit on their hands for a fantastic show just because that corps isn't the home team. The Empire Statesmen got a lot more than golf applause at the Reading show last year.

There are a hell of lot of things competing for entertainment dollars these days. Netflix, the Internet, 700 cable tv channels, 3D movies, Xbox, Wii, Playstation, this MacBook, even your iPhone and your Droid... "Back in the day" in NY/NJ, when there were drum corps all over the place and thousands of fans at every show, there were a total of 7 TV channels available here, and none of the other stuff I mentioned. The crowd could easily be taken for granted. Now, we have to compete for it. We have to get people to CHOOSE to come to the drum corps show on Saturday instead of going to the movies or playing Halo or Rock Band 3 for a couple of hours. So, we have weighted the product even more heavily toward entertainment.

Getting fans in the stands and getting them to come back NEXT week, is far more important than impressing the other drum corps' staff with their "innovative and envelope pushing brilliance". Or whatever adjectives you'd like to use. If your corps produces a mind-numbingly incomprehensible show, Mr. & Mrs Sixpack will go "What the hell was that?" and sayonara. If you want to showcase your "innovative and envelope pushing brilliance", then the fans better ###### well get it, and like it.

I think we did a good job of driving the point home to all of our corps, that we are entertainers ABOVE ALL ELSE. If you do not entertain the audience, then why are you here? And this applies to ALL corps, great and small. If you have 20 horns, write your drill for 35, and play a book that needs 50, what on Earth do you think that is going to look and sound like on the field, and would YOU pay $20 to go see it? And moreover, would you pay another $20 next week to see it AGAIN? This is not rocket science or nuclear physics. Produce something people like, and they will buy it. And now we have developed a judging system that rewards it.

If a corps won the championship and there was nobody there to see it, does it matter?

Ok, I'm done :)

IMO...that's how the PR release should have read :tongue:

Thank you. It's bigger than I hoped tho. :huh2:

I have never heard a woman complain about that before

:ph34r:

I dunno, I think the "homer" advantage might be a little overblown. People aren't going to sit on their hands for a fantastic show just because that corps isn't the home team. The Empire Statesmen got a lot more than golf applause at the Reading show last year.

There are a hell of lot of things competing for entertainment dollars these days. Netflix, the Internet, 700 cable tv channels, 3D movies, Xbox, Wii, Playstation, this MacBook, even your iPhone and your Droid... "Back in the day" in NY/NJ, when there were drum corps all over the place and thousands of fans at every show, there were a total of 7 TV channels available here, and none of the other stuff I mentioned. The crowd could easily be taken for granted. Now, we have to compete for it. We have to get people to CHOOSE to come to the drum corps show on Saturday instead of going to the movies or playing Halo or Rock Band 3 for a couple of hours. So, we have weighted the product even more heavily toward entertainment.

Getting fans in the stands and getting them to come back NEXT week, is far more important than impressing the other drum corps' staff with their "innovative and envelope pushing brilliance". Or whatever adjectives you'd like to use. If your corps produces a mind-numbingly incomprehensible show, Mr. & Mrs Sixpack will go "What the hell was that?" and sayonara. If you want to showcase your "innovative and envelope pushing brilliance", then the fans better ###### well get it, and like it.

I think we did a good job of driving the point home to all of our corps, that we are entertainers ABOVE ALL ELSE. If you do not entertain the audience, then why are you here? And this applies to ALL corps, great and small. If you have 20 horns, write your drill for 35, and play a book that needs 50, what on Earth do you think that is going to look and sound like on the field, and would YOU pay $20 to go see it? And moreover, would you pay another $20 next week to see it AGAIN? This is not rocket science or nuclear physics. Produce something people like, and they will buy it. And now we have developed a judging system that rewards it.

If a corps won the championship and there was nobody there to see it, does it matter?

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I have never heard a woman complain about that before

:ph34r:

That so isn't what I meant and YOU know it Ream!!

<snip>

1) Diatribe? Hardly.... the nail has been hit squarely on the head by Glenn's hammer. In 1966 I saw a "junior" show every weekend and sometimes twice on a weekend. Almost every show had Blessed Sac, Garfield, and St. Lucy's....yet I put my money down to see them over and over. DCA is tweaking in the right direction......yet again.

2) Done? Hardly..... the team that has taken the wheel at DCA has steered the ship through difficult waters while consistently delivering a quality product culminating in a mini-corps, alumni, Class A and International Open Class weekend that is the drum corps equivalent of Woodstock!

Wow...can't believe my analogy..... "taken the wheel"...."steered the ship"....."narrow waters"...... no wonder Popeye's been winning all these recent years.

Joe in NJ

Crowd reaction lets you know if a show is entertaining. Polite golf clap at the end of the show means it was at best impressive, but not really entertaining.

so basically, empire is going to win this year because...

1.they are about entertainment

2.they get the biggest ovations at finals because its in their home city

hmm...

how much explanation do you need to realize it (the sheets) isn't an applause meter... heaven forbid we find ways to make buying a ticket more attractive to the masses...

Edited by TomPeashey