Rules Congress

so basically, empire is going to win this year because...

1.they are about entertainment

2.they get the biggest ovations at finals because its in their home city

hmm...

I don't think that's what it means at all. I thought 2010 was one of the best "entertaining" years in DCA for quite some time. Yes, Empire did have somewhat of a home crowd, but the show was entertaining AND clean AND difficult as was Bucs show and several others, all of whom got great applause/recognition. This is what I think DCA is looking for.....more of what was shown last year. A powerfull statement on the field will get the crowd on their feet, no matter where the venue is and no matter what the music is.

Tom's already said it won't be an applause meter system.

i was just making a point to who i replied to. crowd reaction should mean nothing (score wise)

But consistent, favorable crowd reaction, year in and year out (for whatever corps) means a lot.... marketing-wise, attendance-wise, and dollar-wise.

To me, that is the true bottom line. Just my opinion.

Skeptic said: "i was just making a point to who i replied to. crowd reaction should mean nothing (score wise)"

To try and put your slant on things - that is: local crowds are biased and should be ignored... you a making a statement that is the opposite of the ENTIRE point - crowd reaction should mean EVERYTHING or they won't buy another ticket to another show. We must STOP ignoring crowd reaction ... or we are doomed to failure...

It will be the challenge to the adjudication management to ensure that especially in the 2 GE captions, qualified judges have enough education and experience to read through any "inappropriate" local bias. Believe me, a competent adjudicator has little problem doing just that.

But I can't ignore you making a statement like that - if you just read the words - is not only WRONG, but opposite the reality of the situation.

Edited by TomPeashey

hmm...

Empire got my applause last year (and every year) because of what they put on the field, not because of where they're from. Same with Reading, Minnesota Brass, Cabs, Hurcs, Kidsgrove, Renegades, etc. etc. etc. I sincerely doubt that most fans in the stands at Finals are from Rochester. I say give DCA a chance with this, most every change they have instituted in the last few years (IIRC) has been an enhancement to the activity we love so much. If this isn't working, I trust they'll shelve it quickly or fix it.

All I can say after reading this topic is.... Thank GOD I am retired from competitive drum and bugle corps. It is crap like this that takes a lot of enjoyment out of the activity... In my own opinion of course. Best of luck to all competitive corps who still have the sanity to continue on. :tongue:

Thanks for explaining the breakdown. You did a MUCH better job than the DCAcorps.org site!

Jeff

So 45% of the score is visual? So how does a small corps make a score?

Just asking.

hmm...

except it's not an applause meter per Tom.

So 45% of the score is visual? So how does a small corps make a score?

Just asking.

march clean. stage effectively.

if you look at the recaps last year, size didnt always equal good visual numbers.

and, IMO, if you want to draw fans, music has to be the driving factor

march clean. stage effectively.

if you look at the recaps last year, size didnt always equal good visual numbers.

and, IMO, if you want to draw fans, music has to be the driving factor

I agree for the most part the people who understand and appreciate difficult drill are former marchers.. someone who I bring to a show for the first or second time isnt going to get that they are just going to appreciate what thier ears tell them.