What is success?

We talk a lot on these boards about what is success. Maybe more on the junior board than here in DCA-land, but even here we sometimes obsess over who is/was a success. I want to relate one success-story from the Cincinnati Tradition rehearsal today.

We are fortunate to have the support of a terrific high school, Western Brown High School in Mt. Orab, Ohio. Call it a rural suburb of Cincinnati. They have an excellent marching band, and a couple of the members of that band have marched in the corps.

Today another of those fine young people joined us, a woodwind player. Until today. Today she picked up a set of keyboard mallets for the first time in her life, and became a percussionist in a drum and bugle corps. Just like that. And, with the wonderful fearlessness that we have when we are young, she stood on the stage during show-and-tell at the end of rehearsal, and played with the rest of the front-line ensemble. Just like that. In addition to the other successes she has in her life, she now has one more.

Now, you all know that this is a recruitment announcement, so you're expecting the obligatory pimping, and I don't want to disappoint you. We are having a great time, and we do look forward to an interesting year and you should join us next Sunday! That's December 12th at Western Brown High School from 9:30 to 6. Lunch is provided and the camp fee is $10.00.

But mostly I want to encourage people. Pick up a horn or a flag or a drum for the first time in a year. Or the first time in five years, or twenty years. Or the first time ever. Add to your own success story.

Robert Kirby

• Like 1

I always tell my students that their sucess is what they make it! Strive for it, and it will be within your reach.

A few photos from the day!

DSCN3888.jpg

DSCN3874.jpg

DSCN3862.jpg

DSCN3858.jpg

Excellent example of success.... as well as a personal victory. Last year we had 2 clarinetists become mellophone players. You really hit the nail on the head, what an accomplishment to make a transition like that. Success isn't about marching with the biggest and best, it is your own personal success or victory. Great story, and I look forward to seeing you on the field this year. :thumbup:

• Like 1

Ive heard great things about your organization and from what I am reading here I like it all the more.

Its great your taking woodwind players and making productive members out of them. Ive tried to convince everyone I have come into contact with in the drum corps community that new greenies coming in may be a liability on the field for a season or two but in years to come you have made productive hard working members out of them that contribute to the line.

Great job.

succes is when you set a goal and achieve it. can be a small goal, can be a big goal.

To me if you reach the end of a task and everyone is satisfied with the reward vs effort, then it's a success

join us next Sunday! That's December 12th

Due to impending serious weather, our final rehearsal of the calendar year has been canceled. Our next rehearsal will be January 9th. Expect more shameless publicity as we get closer :rolleyes:

Robert Kirby

Success...

–noun

1. the favorable or prosperous termination of attempts or endeavors.

2. the attainment of wealth, position, honors, or the like.

3. a successful performance or achievement: The play was an instant success.

4. a person or thing that is successful: She was a great success on the talk show.

5. Obsolete . outcome.

:tongue:

Keep it up! :thumbup: