RIP Cavaliers' Sal Ferrera

As an organizing Drum Corps International director he was instrumental as an architect of early Drum Corps International policy and organizational structure.

I knew Mr. Ferrera briefly about 1984 and I'm saddened at his passing. Sal Ferrera will always be a brilliant icon of the Golden Age of drum and bugle corps, and I'm glad that the activity as it is today remembers Sal.

I knew Sal as both very insightful and

straightforward, and though he may have been instrumental in the early formation and leadership of DCI, I suspect that he may have harbored strong personal feelings over both what DCI later became and what D&BC then became because of DCI.

"It isn't supposed to be 'all about the kids'. Rather it should be about all the kids."

One time when he was arguing with a brass judge, he said "If you think it's so easy, why don't you start your own drum corps?"

The judge's name was Gail Royer.

Both brillant men, both missed!

I'd like to thank all of those who made Sal's wake and funeral a memorable occasion. It's a reminder that, despite all the bickering, the drum corps community is still a wonderful fraternity.

Special thanks to:

- those who attended the wake.

- those who participated in the honor guard.

- those who sang Rainbow at the funeral mass.

- Chris Hartowicz for helping to coordinate all of the above.

- Scott Rhebergen for bringing the corps flag.

- Deacon Ray Loman for leading prayers the morning of the funeral.

- George Barr for playing Il Silenzio at the cemetery.

- Mike Boo for the DCI.org obituary

Extra special thanks to those who sent flowers:

- The Cavaliers

- The Cavaliers Alumni Association

- The Cavaliers West Coast Alumni

- Don and Jan Warren

- Rick Hagey

- Clifford Stiner

- The Blue Devils

- The Cadets

- The Santa Clara Vanguard

- The Madison Scouts

I was struck by the paragraph that stated Sal as the architect for the revenue sharing plan used by DCI that enables the smaller corps to stay afloat. (some of my words in that last sentance not the obit author's). That is a pretty underrated and awesome accomplishment. A big impression he's left on the lives of many that don't even know it.

I was struck by the paragraph that stated Sal as the architect for the revenue sharing plan used by DCI that enables the smaller corps to stay afloat. (some of my words in that last sentance not the obit author's). That is a pretty underrated and awesome accomplishment. A big impression he's left on the lives of many that don't even know it.

Sal wore bigger shoes than you can imagine. Aside from his accomplishment toward the financial viability of drum corps, he spent his professional career devoted to providing housing assitance to low and moderate income families. Sal had a Phd in Economics from the University of Chicago and applied his talents to the disadvantaged of my community.

Resume: http://www.thechicagorelocator.com/about_drferrera.html

He was also President of the not-for-profit Metropolitan Housing Development Corporation:

http://www.mhdcchicago.com/

I visted Sal in the hospital a few days before he died. One of the subjects we talked about was how amazed he was by the tremendous talent in modern drum corps. He was proud of his association with the activity.

Sal's son Vince posted earlier in this chain and I would like to reiterate that the family is aware and appreciative of your messages of condolence. When I spoke to Sal's wife at the wake she gave me a tour of all the flowers sent by the drum corps community. It really meant a lot to the Ferrera family. Thanks folks, these are the times when I'm proud of you all.