Cavaliers vs. Blucoats 2010 Color Guard

"yes we can toss sevens or six's.. but we are going to toss a 6 and a half rotation, because we can" That was just the first minute..

Cool. This is the kind of subtle point that's meaningful to a guard expert and totally goes over my head. One of the many things that make me love the activity so much--there's so much for so many different interests.

Did the judges get it right ?

Short answer: yes. Yes, the judges did indeed 'get it right' 2010 Finals. Both guard and vis in general were right on the money: BD was pretty ridiculously clean, Cavaliers were behind them, and everyone else was a fairly distant third or lower. Cavs guard was pretty awesome last year as far as both their rep and execution (as was Cavaliers' visual program in general), and Bluecoats were a distant third behind Cavaliers.

Now, that is NOT a bad thing for Bluecoats: a distant third is still third, and they performed what I agree with others was their best visual program ever. They're in a good place to take it up a notch next year and build on their success from 2010.

... Scores are ALWAYS kept tight finals night.. I may have been told or heard.. When you are scoring a show like finals, they don;t want the guard judge to spread the scores and decide the winners with the guard caption...

Very interesting. Of course I have no insight into its truth. Anyone else have thoughts? Any other captions similarly guided?

HH

"yes we can toss sevens or six's.. but we are going to toss a 6 and a half rotation, because we can" That was just the first minute...

Cool. This is the kind of subtle point that's meaningful to a guard expert and totally goes over my head. One of the many things that make me love the activity so much--there's so much for so many different interests.

Agreed! These kinds of specifics are of great use in helping non-experts understand.

Coats were very clean and very effective. I can see how "somebody" might feel they were closer to the top of the pack then they actually were. A quick look at the "TRIAD" and placement is quickly adjusted.

Let me be nice and say... Both these two guards were given some of the hardest drill responsibilities for 2010. <---THIS carries heavy value to me.. So for that, kudos to BC and Cavies.

Now the equipment. Just take a look at Cavies first rifle feature stepping out of the horns form. 10 rifles tossing a 6 1/2!!!! on the front side-line, and one at a time. This toss, is a F.U. statement... "yes we can toss sevens or six's.. but we are going to toss a 6 and a half rotation, because we can" That was just the first minute..

If these two Corps had tied, I would say "cool" but no way were the two guards equal. And I have mad respect for BC 2010... good job!!

Cavies were in a demand level with BD... BC was not in that race... Scores are ALWAYS kept tight finals night.. I may have been told or heard.. When you are scoring a show like finals, they don;t want the guard judge to spread the scores and decide the winners with the guard caption... and such,,

I think, Clean in good... Smart is better.

In military drill, it is standard practice to catch at what a guard would refer to as half-off a regular catch. I wonder if they were appropriating that technique into the show for thematic purposes. Any drill video you find will demonstrate that kind of catch off of an aerial - wouldn't be out of reach to guess they wanted that look for a reason. If that were the case, my hat's off to the design team.

Good rifle lines are just a part of a colorguard. Their difficulty is to be expected. They are the elite. To really judge a guard you have to look at all the parts. The flag line can ruin a show if it is dirty. Also, movement is included. That being said. I still had Cavies at that score but thought Coats should have been a lot higher. Their flag book was really good.

And BTW, Cavies got a perfect guard score in 2002 and the first thing out is a rifle drop. The Perfect score is not nor could it ever be actual perfection. Its just what the judges see that day. They are up top. Thats a long way away.

In military drill, it is standard practice to catch at what a guard would refer to as half-off a regular catch. I wonder if they were appropriating that technique into the show for thematic purposes. Any drill video you find will demonstrate that kind of catch off of an aerial - wouldn't be out of reach to guess they wanted that look for a reason. If that were the case, my hat's off to the design team.

Even better! :thumbup: