Cavaliers vs. Blucoats 2010 Color Guard

I can agree with the color guard caption scoring between the two, as well as all the other Visual subcaptions.

Musically though? I am not convinced that Cavaliers beat Bluecoats, in either horns or drums.

Visually definitly agree with Cavies over Bluecoats in every subcaption. And agree with the judges having Cavies in percussion by .20, if the spread were anymore i may have disagreed with them. Musically, the judges had the scores so close to one another(a tenth or two) i dont think that they were the game changer. The visual subcaptions are what gave the Cavies their higher placement. Even if you dont like the Cavaliers or Mad World, you have to agree with me that visually those men performed that show amazingly. AND if you dont agree with me try watchin the DVD again, look at their attention to detail.

Edited by GREENBLUE
  • Like 1

Additionally, how the Cavaliers beat Carolina Crown in brass is a mystery to me.

However, I am not a judge and I wasn't there.

....loud is not always better ;) while outstanding, you could definitly hear some brass issues, especially during their endzone to endzone drill. and remember the field judge may hear some things that we might not have picked up on. just like if we watch a show on dvd 100x we might notice mistakes visually that the judges didnt catch cuz they were lookin at somethin else and we watched the same thing over and over.

• Like 2

I can agree with the color guard caption scoring between the two, as well as all the other Visual subcaptions.

Musically though? I am not convinced that Cavaliers beat Bluecoats, in either horns or drums.

Additionally, how the Cavaliers beat Carolina Crown in brass is a mystery to me.

However, I am not a judge and I wasn't there.

Exactly.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So....the other night a friend of mine and I watched the Bluecoats and Cavaliers 2010 Championship performances back to back and felt that Bluecoats Color Guard was cleaner than the Cavaliers Color Guard. We checked out the recaps...and observed the following,

Cavaliers 19.70

Bluecoats 19.10

So...for those of you who (Especially those in the know with Color Guards) have the ability to watch these two 2010 Championship performances...take a look and let me know what ya think......

Did the judges get it right ?

We think the judges got it wrong. At the very least...the spread is two wide.

I also think the marching/visual scores look a bit off as well. Sure...Cavies had a lot more transitions...but the shaping and intervals were sloppy. Up until the ballad...the Bluecoats marching looked really good...

Ok as some one who marched color guard in drum corps for 3 years and 2 in independent world WGI, I would say that the Cavaliers were better. They had a difficult and effective equipment book, and though I personally liked the Bluecoats movement book better, the Cavaliers weren't far behind in that category. Put all of that on top of the cavaliers demanding drill book, and it is clear why they came out on top.

Another note is that, contrary to popular belief, color guard isn't necessarily judged based on difficulty of book or cleanliness. If we were just going to hand high guard to whoever was te cleanest we would see Cadets winning every year, or if they gave it to whoever had the most difficult equipment book than Blue Stars probably would have won the past two years.

Color guard in DCI is more based on how well the the performers and design team conveyed the message and impact of the show to audience and judges. Of course things like achievement and difficulty factor into the score, as they are necessary to generate effect, but again it is the subjective impact of the color guard that gets them a score.

This is how the Blue Devils. talented as they may be, can win best color guard 2 years in a row even though they have one of the easiest equipment books in the top 12 (drop spins while sitting down, anyone?).

• Like 1

I agree that the Cavies had the superior Guard. They were electrifying! The big difference explaining the score could be the difficulty. I don't have the DVDs to confirm but if memory form finals and regionals I attended serves me correct the Cavies had a far more complicated program with very tough catches and complicated rifle work.

I have the Blu-ray, and you are exactly right. Cavaliers had a phenomenal show. Bluecoats were wonderful and had the best guard I've ever seen for them, but they weren't in Cavies' league, IMO.

This is how the Blue Devils. talented as they may be, can win best color guard 2 years in a row even though they have one of the easiest equipment books in the top 12 (drop spins while sitting down, anyone?).

Oh Lord, here we go again. Like drop spins while sitting were all that they did last year.

Oh Lord, here we go again. Like drop spins while sitting were all that they did last year.

They did do a lot more than that, but the fact still remains is that BD's equipment book is one of the least demanding in the top 12. If you take a look at say Crown, Phantom, or Blue Stars' books, it is very clear that BD isn't in their realm of difficulty. That IS NOT to say I thought the previously mentioned groups should have won, or that BD shouldn't have. In fact, I do think BD is really innovative in a lot of ways, one of which is how effectively their book is written especially given it's level of difficulty.