Drum corps and Stan Kenton

I was a Kenton fan long before I was a drum corps fan. Maybe it was inevitable. Maybe it was a process. Either way, these parts of my life and my joy are as connected as my bones or veins. Kenton and drum corps belong together. Thanks for the reminder.

HH

• Like 1

I just received a message from Gary Hodges, Ohio State University Marching Band Director of Percussion. The band will be playing the works of Stan Kenton during their halftime performance in the Sugar Bowl on January 4. Selections include "Artistry in Rhythm," "Peanut Vendor," "Here's That Rainy Day" (which may need to be cut due to time) and "La Suerte de Los Tontos," featuring a long percussion solo with drum racks.

I hope we can catch at least part of the show on television.

Ohio State is the brassiest of all college bands due to the unique brass instrumentation, and consequently, they remind corps fans a lot of the drum corps sound.

• Like 2

I saw the show during the regular season when they performed it, be ready for some real nice work in both the brass and percussion!

For those who came in to drum corps during the 00's, Tarheel Sun (now long defunct) did a very nice Kenton show in '98.

September Song

El Conga Valiente (from Cuban Fire Suite)

Malibu Moonlight

Artistry in Percussion

Artistry Jumps

They finished 20th that year, but the music program really came off quite well.

Mike

For those who came in to drum corps during the 00's, Tarheel Sun (now long defunct) did a very nice Kenton show in '98.

They finished 20th that year, but the music program really came off quite well.

Indeed it did. I'd love to have been able to mention all the corps other than World Championship Finalists, and Open Class corps as well as the corps prior to DCI, but the article would have been several times longer. Such was Kenton's influence on drum corps.

• Like 1

Nice job as usual, Mike!

Indeed it did. I'd love to have been able to mention all the corps other than World Championship Finalists, and Open Class corps as well as the corps prior to DCI, but the article would have been several times longer. Such was Kenton's influence on drum corps.

That is true, and I wasn't suggesting you needed to. Merely pointing readers towards the most recent full D1 show to be entirely comprised of his swing music. (Though, as you point out in the column, Through A Glass, Darkly is as well.)

Mike

Great article. I really liked how all the connections were drawn together. The Hank Levy, Bill Chase, Johnny Richards connections, as well as other musicians. Also the shows from various DCI eras that are connected to those composers. Boo, would it be possible to more articles like this for other composers/musicians...and how they influenced the music we hear in corps? To many younger fans, this is a great way for them to see how it relates to things they may be hearing on the field. An Ellis, Corea, or Metheny article maybe...Maynard?

Just a question, is that video of Kenton on the Fan Network? Or where can it be found? I remember seeing something like that not long ago on the FN, that was made around 1980? Moreso a "What is Drum Corps" video. Is this Kenton part taken from that video?

BTW, nice video of the Kingsmen Guard in that....

Edited by Dmlkmen

That is true, and I wasn't suggesting you needed to. Merely pointing readers towards the most recent full D1 show to be entirely comprised of his swing music. (Though, as you point out in the column, Through A Glass, Darkly is as well.)

Mike

Understood, and sorry if my earlier response created a different conclusion.

• Like 1