Drum corps and Stan Kenton

Great article. I really liked how all the connections were drawn together. The Hank Levy, Bill Chase, Johnny Richards connections, as well as other musicians. Also the shows from various DCI eras that are connected to those composers. Boo, would it be possible to more articles like this for other composers/musicians...and how they influenced the music we hear in corps? To many younger fans, this is a great way for them to see how it relates to things they may be hearing on the field. An Ellis, Corea, or Metheny article maybe...Maynard?

Well, if there is a desire for such, I'd be happy to oblige.

I'm not an authority on any of the folks you mentioned, including Kenton, but I believe I share a passion with several thousand other corps fans who could do just as good a job, if not better. But still, I'm flattered you're interested in more.

PS: I was at Blue Devils' school outside Birmingham when Maynard Ferguson showed up after Finals in the cafeteria and someone handed him a soprano bugle, which he promptly used to play notes that were never intended to be successfully performed on the instrument. It was one of those indelible moments I could never forget. Blue Devils were celebrating their win and having Maynard show up (after serving as Steve Rondinaro's co-announcer for the PBS broadcast) seemed to be the highlight of the members' evening, according to the looks on their faces.

Edited by Michael Boo
  • Like 1

one word about Stan- Mellophones!!! ('nuff said)

Just a question, is that video of Kenton on the Fan Network? Or where can it be found? I remember seeing something like that not long ago on the FN, that was made around 1980? Moreso a "What is Drum Corps" video. Is this Kenton part taken from that video?

Here's the link. Enjoy. The video is just over 24 minutes long. Great stuff.

For me I got into Kenton via Blue Devils on State of the Art.

Michael,

Great article on a great man. Thanks so much for all that you bring to this activity.

As part of the 79 Guardsmen hornline that played Fanfare, it is still one of the most memorable musical moment of my life - still get goose bumps every time I hear it. It wasn't too shabby for a bunch of kids who grew corn and mined coal! I remember playing it somewhere in the midwest around July. We noticed the Argonne Rebels all lining the fence listening, mouths hanging open. Quite a neat moment. Sandra Opie also heard us a few times that year and was apparently quite amazed at our performance of the piece.

We were quite bummed to get home that year and hear that Stan had died just a week after finals.

Just about anyone that played in a HS or college jazz band also owes Kenton a huge debt. Without him, you might not of had that chance.

Edited by Steve Knob

one word about Stan- Mellophones!!! ('nuff said)

Mellophonium :cool:

Ohio State is the brassiest of all college bands due to the unique brass instrumentation, and consequently, they remind corps fans a lot of the drum corps sound post-2000.

Fixed.

Congrats to corps of the 00s who have dared to play Kenton...and play it better than any other marching ensemble out there.

Hope there's lots more in years to come...especially some of the amazing music he wrote that hasn't hit the field yet.