Rivals

Again not so much a rivalry, but just a good place and good times to march.

There certainly is a different between "rivalry" and "comraderie". And I most certainly wouldn't consider Hurcs-Cabs the "biggest" rivalry in the northeast. That distinction would DEFINITELY be the Skyliners-Caballeros, NO question about it.

:laughing: Will we be seeing you on Jan 8th & 9th? Or will you be going to the Renegades Open House? :smile:

No, I hate to fly...Cabs on the 15th and 16th though. I do have to go to Sky alum too. I promised Charlie V...see off the field no rivalry; I wore the bell bottoms but I'll play NY NY too. Won't taste to good but hey, I promised.

Blousemen and Phantom Vanguard were bitter for awhile late 90's. Also and Sal Chimera...and Connie Breen

The fact is for a very long time in drumcorps, it was the norm. Most of the guys I marched with when I was young didn't read yet because of good memories and the ability to understand rythym were able to learn and play charts pretty quickly. I also marched with people who though they read music well took a lot longer to memorize because they couldn't get past the paper.

That music reading is a great tool and makes things easier, I have no argument. That you have to read music to be in the Hall of Fame is BS. Accomplishments on the field of competition and giving to the activity is a much more important criteria for induction.

Gotta agree with you Frank. I don't read and yet I was able to memorize parts quickly. I can still play parts that Eric taught us back in '67 and '68. Again, you're also correct that readers tend to rely way too much on the paper and take forever to commit a chart to memory. You can't take the chart on the field with you.

A guy like Bobby Burke has spent his entire drum corps career playing by ear and from memory; only started to learn to read music a couple of years ago. Not too many readers I know can play their soprano with the heart and soul of Bob, and he's played with the best for a loooooong time!

Just my 2 cents.

Ray

Blousemen and Phantom Vanguard were bitter for awhile late 90's. Also and Sal Chimera...and Connie Breen

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Terri, back in the 60s & 70s trying to intimidate the competition was common place. No offense intended but you're much too young to have seen some of the stuff that went on between some of the rivalries back then. Sun, Sky and Cabs at 1978 DCA Prelims comes to mind.

And please, let's keep in mind that these things happened so long ago. I hope no one is trying to open old wounds and that we're all over those things.:thumbup:

Oh no...i'm certainly not insinuating that i've seen the old rivalries...just mentioning what I saw at that moment. I saw remnants of an old rivalry.

That rivalry was more potent between 1987-1990 though, It was like a apple and a orange from the same intense tree.

Ugh.

That's why I said "that i've ever witnessed".

:rolleyes:

So, in the interest of bringing the topic back on topic. Here are my selections of biggest rivalries by region:

Northeast:

Hurcs and Cabs

South:

Corpsvets and Alliance

Midwest:

MBI and Govies

West:

Renegades and SoCal Dream

Non-region rivals:

Bucs and MBI

Corpsvets and Bushwackers

Fusion Core and Grennies

I am probably way off on a lot of these, but these seemed logical to me based on my categories.

MBI and Govies have a good relationship on and off the field. I would say Kilties are the bigger "rival" so to speak. The midwest corps are one big happy family :tongue:

There certainly is a different between "rivalry" and "comraderie". And I most certainly wouldn't consider Hurcs-Cabs the "biggest" rivalry in the northeast. That distinction would DEFINITELY be the Skyliners-Caballeros, NO question about it.

I was merely referring to corps that are currently competing against each other. With that being said, I do not live in the northeast or attend its shows, so I could most certainly be wrong. I was basing purely on how competitive they've been with each other as of late.