Rivals

When I joined the Skyliners in 1986 it was very obvious from my very first day with the corps that the Cabs were our nemesis. However the only real contention I had seen between two corps was between the Cabs and Matadors in the early eighties at the Allentown show. There was a banner on the back-field bleachers declaring “the bull is dead” or something of that nature. I don’t know who set it up, but I remember seeing four big guys from the Matadors taking it down. I was maybe 15 or 16 at the time so I didn’t really know who was who, but the older folks sitting next to me were more than happy to impart the scoop as they saw it. The only thing I remembered from the conversation was the impression they left me with that the Cabs and Matadors were not bosom buddies.

Heaven forbid you have beer on the busses much less a keg now days.

Says the guy that carried beer onto the buses...

:P

With many corps going younger, you have to be careful of underage drinking which is still illegal.

Like it or not, accept it or not, we live in different times.

Most corps that mix ages to that degree have "zero tolerance" policies, though. In some cases (that I am intimately familiar with) eject not only the underager but also the person who gave it to them without question, and with great prejudice. There is no room for discussion, and there is no opportunity for appeal.

These days you speak about, Kay, require you to be absolutely draconian not only on your policies, but also on the enforcement of those policies.

So, in the interest of bringing the topic back on topic. Here are my selections of biggest rivalries by region:

Northeast:

Hurcs and Cabs

South:

Corpsvets and Alliance

Midwest:

MBI and Govies

West:

Renegades and SoCal Dream

Non-region rivals:

Bucs and MBI

Corpsvets and Bushwackers

Fusion Core and Grennies

I am probably way off on a lot of these, but these seemed logical to me based on my categories.

Interesting list. Most rivalries in DCA are friendly these days, if they even really exist at all. In my experience at Bush it kind of depended on the year. In 2002, there was some serious back and forth between us and Cabs because we were flip flopping placements all year...but honestly, I don't think we ever really viewed anyone in DCA as a rival. At least not in my years there. Certainly not the Corpsvets...we never really saw each other enough, but maybe it was seen as a rivalry on their end. I don't know. I was just an arm flapper. :)

It's so "family-riffic" these days and people are really sensitive, so any rivalries or trash talking is mostly kept behind the scenes and a nice, happy, "won't you be my neighbor" face put on in public. Part me thinks that's cool. The competitive part of me thinks that everyone who isn't wearing the same uniform as me is my rival.

• Like 1

Says the guy that carried beer onto the buses...

:P

Sarcasm was lost on that one huh?

I seem to remember in the late 80's and early 90's there being a fierce rivalry between Westshore and Steel City. It even got to the point where both corps would wait at the exit gate as the other corps left the field and cheer each other on.

Another one in the late 80's was with Steel City and the Guelph Royalaires. This bruhaha was settled at the hotel parking lot that the two corps shared by having a cooler jumping contest. I think the winner was Howard "Be Thy Name" Williams with a record setting 4 stack of coolers.

Edited by Mick Krackin'

I was talking with a Chops member a few years back at finals, they said there is a hatred between Chops and MBI.

Seeing as they are in different classes I dont know if this is true or if that member just didnt like them. Anyone?

"Hatred" is much too strong a word for it. Heck, "rivalry" is probably too big a word. Is there a little tension sometimes? Yeah, of course, we're neighbors, it happens. But overall we get along pretty well.

Back in the day, (and even to this day a little bit) our rivalries have had more to do with who had the most and best dirty bus songs, and who could sing them the best. We always felt like we could out-sing any corps at any time.

The first serious singing rivalry that I was involved in was between the Boys of 76 and the Bismark Governaires in the early 80s. I vividly remember our first encounter with them at a show in Mankato, MN. They marched into the post show party with a half barrel of beer singing "Gross F'ers in the Sky". We knew instantly that we had met our match, but we managed to hold our own with them, trading blows song for song until the half barrel was gone, and then some.

Then there was the Kilties/Chops encounter at the Wisconsin State Fair Park show in 98. At the party after the show on the infield of the race track, Chops went toe for toe with us, producing as many dirty lymrics as us, which is the first and only time that anyone has ever been able to match us in the dirty lymric department. Nice job Chops! Very impressive!

Most recently, at DCA this past Labor Day weekend, we traded songs/blows with Kidsgrove Scouts on the street on I&E night outside the convention center. Their knowledge of the traditional English rugby repertoire made for one of the best drum corps songfests of recent memory. A new rivalry was born!

In all my years around senior (all age) drum corps, no one had more songs than the Sunrisers..........wait, was this just a Kanye moment, lol.

Edited by Fastone

In all my years around senior (all age) drum corps, no one had more songs than the Sunrisers..........wait, was this just a Kanye moment, lol.

:spitting:

Good one Frank!!!

Maybe I'll see you Sunday at Brassmen Rehearsal!!!