Best Endings

Star of Indiana (94)? The two cross's. George Z at his best. Stunning

1. That's not even close to what the topic was asking (2000 to today).

2. Star did not exist in DCI in 1994, but at least you admitted not knowing.

3. It's Star 1991.

4. Sorry, I'm a Star fanatic.

Anyway, favorite endings for each year:

00: Cadets

01: Cavaliers

02: Cavaliers

03: Phantom

04: BD

05: Cadets

06: Cavaliers

07: Cadets

08: Phantom (No one is even close)

09: Cadets

10: Cadets

• Like 1

Here are my favorites, chronologically, not in order of "best":

2000 Cadets

2000 Boston Crusaders

2001 Cadets

2001 Phantom Regiment

2003 Phantom Regiment (from the reprise forward)

2004 Blue Devils (Train leaving the station was brilliant)

2004 Phantom Regiment (listen to that crowd - ending made up for other parts of show)

2005 Phantom Regiment

2006 Phantom Regiment (ahh... Mahler)

2006 SCV

2007 Phantom Regiment (firebird & the wedge, kick = sublime)

2007 Crown (Horse race finale was brilliant & joyous)

2008 Crown (1812/Hallelujah Finale)

2008 Blue Stars

2008 Phantom Regiment (hands down my favorite - most pandemonium since Scouts finale 1995)

2009 Crown

2009 SCV

2010 Phantom Regiment (beautiful)

2000 Cadets

2000 Boston Crusaders

2001 Cavaliers

2003 Phantom Regiment

2003 SCV

2004 SCV

2006 BD

2006 Phantom Regiment

2006 SCV

2007 Phantom Regiment

2007 Crown

2008 Crown

2008 Blue Stars

2008 Phantom Regiment

2009 Crown

2009 SCV

2010 Phantom Regiment

2010 Blue Stars

My only problem with Phantom's 2008 ending was... well... after the stab and intensely exciting buildup, the payoff was kind of meh. The music had a reprise of the Adagio and a short-building final chord, and the drill had a couple of mirrored follow the leaders (which looked great on the video from field level, BTW) and an arc that didn't move. It didn't change from semis to finals, and I was expecting a little more oomph there.

Those horrible ticky-tack criticisms aside, yeah, it was a hugely exciting ending. (I was there.)

Ones I'd add to my list -

Long endings -

2003 Phantom Regiment, Sanctus reprise to the end. Like Glory said, just superb.

2001 Cavaliers - the ending movement (technically the 5th corner, I guess) had speed, speed and more speed. And they managed to take the funk theme from the third movement, push it uncomfortably faster, and keep it together.

2007 Cavaliers - See above. They did the same with Scenes from an Italian Restaurant, which I didn't think could be pulled off at its *normal* tempo, much less faster.

Short endings -

2003 Cavaliers - Reverse Spin Cycle - the final move as they did the first 30 seconds of the show in reverse. Classic and inspired.

2000 Boston Crusaders - the sudden diamond with the rope drummer and Bolero reprise. The crowd lost it there, and rightfully so.

Mike

2003 Cavaliers - Reverse Spin Cycle - the final move as they did the first 30 seconds of the show in reverse. Classic and inspired.

I know I am a little bias but not only do I think that this is one of the best endings of the decade, the whole show is under appreciated. Maybe the guard uni's were so hated, that they distracted from an amazing show.

2001 Cavaliers - the ending movement (technically the 5th corner, I guess) had speed, speed and more speed.

I completely agree, Mike.

I was working the DCI East show that year (one of the two years it was in Philly) from field level, and when those Cavies horn players headed for that one part of the field, right near where I was.... holy mackerel, they were flat-out sprinting. While playing really well. A definite "wow" moment for me.

What are your opinions of the best "endings" since 2000? My opinion lies with:

So yeah, what are yours?

Cool topic....but honestly..a ten or so year period of time is "Really long". I could post a fairly large list.

Just off the top of my head (One of many..trust me)

Blue Stars 2009