When corps made the jump to Bb, why no marching horn?

BrassClef

It isn't that difficult. Let me try to explain:

There are three marching French Horns that I know of (from longest to shortest):

1. G Horn (bugle). Same length as a Baritone bugle, but played an octave higher. Partials very close together.

2. Bb Horn. The most common Horn used in Marching Band. Same length as a Trombone or Euphonium, but played an octave higher. Also same length (and partials) as the Bb side of a double horn. Partials are not as close together as they are on the G bugle, but still closer together than a Mellophone.

3. F Horn (Alto). Very rarely used (but I am trying to get people to change). Same length as a Mellophone or a Descant Horn. Partials and fingerings are the same as a Mellophone.

It may be that there is am F marching horn in the world, but I have never encountered one.

Hope this helps,

-Chris

• 3 weeks later...

As the topic starter, a graduated music major who now is studying band instrument repair and construction I have an idea of making a true "marching horn"....I can't discuss details as it's in my head and need to make it onto paper/real life before I start talking about it too much...

Edited by BrassClef

There are three marching French Horns that I know of (from longest to shortest):

1. G Horn (bugle). Same length as a Baritone bugle, but played an octave higher. Partials very close together.

2. Bb Horn. The most common Horn used in Marching Band. Same length as a Trombone or Euphonium, but played an octave higher. Also same length (and partials) as the Bb side of a double horn. Partials are not as close together as they are on the G bugle, but still closer together than a Mellophone.

3. F Horn (Alto). Very rarely used (but I am trying to get people to change). Same length as a Mellophone or a Descant Horn. Partials and fingerings are the same as a Mellophone.

It may be that there is am F marching horn in the world, but I have never encountered one.

Hope this helps,

-Chris

When you say the "F Horn (alto)." Its actually an Eb Alto Horn, not in F. The Eb Alto Horn was used in a lot of american marching bands before 1950's (or early 1960's) before the mellophone took off. The Eb Alto horn is used in british style brass bands. Mellophones are by far the most stable of the horns. G bugles (for better or worse) have died out. Band programs won't use them, and the only people in the world that I know of that have used them is DCI years ago. Obvious there are some DCA and alumni corps probably using them. I've only heard bad things about a true Bb Horn. Now, I know there are some groups that use Flugelhorns as Bb Horns. Which can be okay when written right, and if you have a good flugel.

The mellophone (in F obviously) is IMO by far the best option for marching horns. Easily accessible for purchase (bc of its wide use), and a lot of quality made mellos are out there (Yamaha and King being the top two). The mellophone responds just like a trumpet. Similar pitch tendencies, same fingering system, the instrument has the same written power range as a trumpet (except most horn players can't hit a high C off the staff unless they are a true trumpet player which has moved over). The ONLY issue that comes of the F mello is that they are the odd ball pitched instrument on the horn line. Tuning to concert Bb can be difficult b.c. the low brass and trumpets are on open partials, while the mellos are using a first finger valve combo. Tuning to a concert F can be a good idea which some corps do b.c. that puts everyone on the line on an open note.

When you say the "F Horn (alto)." Its actually an Eb Alto Horn, not in F. The Eb Alto Horn was used in a lot of american marching bands before 1950's (or early 1960's) before the mellophone took off. The Eb Alto horn is used in british style brass bands. Mellophones are by far the most stable of the horns. G bugles (for better or worse) have died out. Band programs won't use them, and the only people in the world that I know of that have used them is DCI years ago. Obvious there are some DCA and alumni corps probably using them. I've only heard bad things about a true Bb Horn. Now, I know there are some groups that use Flugelhorns as Bb Horns. Which can be okay when written right, and if you have a good flugel.

The mellophone (in F obviously) is IMO by far the best option for marching horns. Easily accessible for purchase (bc of its wide use), and a lot of quality made mellos are out there (Yamaha and King being the top two). The mellophone responds just like a trumpet. Similar pitch tendencies, same fingering system, the instrument has the same written power range as a trumpet (except most horn players can't hit a high C off the staff unless they are a true trumpet player which has moved over). The ONLY issue that comes of the F mello is that they are the odd ball pitched instrument on the horn line. Tuning to concert Bb can be difficult b.c. the low brass and trumpets are on open partials, while the mellos are using a first finger valve combo. Tuning to a concert F can be a good idea which some corps do b.c. that puts everyone on the line on an open note.

I HATED THAT. Mellos...you're sharp. OF COURSE WE ARE, we are on dynasty horns trying to tune on a different valve series than the rest of the horn line...just let us play a C...

I HATED THAT. Mellos...you're sharp. OF COURSE WE ARE, we are on dynasty horns trying to tune on a different valve series than the rest of the horn line...just let us play a C...

C on mello would be a concert F :) Mellos do tend to be sharp at times.

G French Horn bugles have been featured to great effect in the past. Couple of examples from my corps Madison Scouts, 1971 Alice in Wonderland show, 1975 Rhapsody in Blue, 1976 Stars and Stripes Forever. 1977 most of the show was Kenton's WSS, ironically the FH's were playing the Mellophonium parts, listen especially to the closer "Somewhere", 1973,73,78 God Bless the Child. 1980-81 Ice Castles. The former arranger and creator of their signature sound Ray Baumgart, used to utilize the FHs often as lead baritones

Edited by Scerpella

-Chris

Wonder why it's not used in DC now. Sounds like a good compromise. Do you know if the parts are written with 8th partial as C in the staff, or "high C?"

Wonder why it's not used in DC now. Sounds like a good compromise. Do you know if the parts are written with 8th partial as C in the staff, or "high C?"

Parts are written in F - same as Horn. BTW - Congrats on your teaching gig, Bob!!

Parts are written in F - same as Horn

Some publishers also include a Bb horn part, so the Bb marching horn can be played using trumpet fingerings. This of course only befuddles a true french horn player.