Gale Royer the Judge

I came upon this recap of 1965 VFW nationals and noticed that one of the horn judges was named Royer. I know that for years Gail Royer stated that the Royal Airs 65 VFW was the best performance he had ever seen, but didn't realize he maybe judged it. Each caption has three columns, the third an average of the two preceding it. Horns/MM/Drums/GE. My question is, is that Gail?

65VFW.jpg

Two DC legends right off the bat...Fabrizio (Corky) and Royer...WOW!!!!

I came upon this recap of 1965 VFW nationals and noticed that one of the horn judges was named Royer. I know that for years Gail Royer stated that the Royal Airs 65 VFW was the best performance he had ever seen, but didn't realize he maybe judged it. Each caption has three columns, the third an average of the two preceding it. Horns/MM/Drums/GE. My question is, is that Gail?

65VFW.jpg

Yes, GR judged some VFW Nats and other major shows before founding SCV. He even judged drums one year at South Milwaukee!

Some errors in the scores above:

There were 15 corps in that Finals, a last-minute decision by Tony Schlecta. The Bridgeport PAL scores are missing.

The Troopers' GE scores are .02 too high.

I don't remember who judged M&M, but Jim Middleton was a drum judge.

Yes, GR judged some VFW Nats and other major shows before founding SCV. He even judged drums one year at South Milwaukee!

Some errors in the scores above:

There were 15 corps in that Finals, a last-minute decision by Tony Schlecta. The Bridgeport PAL scores are missing.

The Troopers' GE scores are .02 too high.

I don't remember who judged M&M, but Jim Middleton was a drum judge.

Hmm...I would have thought that the Goodhart was Rod Goodhart, also a drum judge.

Oh MY! The '65 VFW's! We stayed right next door to Boston at the Crossroads Motel out at O'Hare. We were supposed to compete in several local contests prior to the VFW's but cut short our stay because we were flying to Portland, OR for the Legions and we had to cut costs on that part of the tour. Our Motel(THE CROSSROADS) was a, uhhhh House of Ill-Repute?....oh hell, it was a whorehouse......A good number of our members had their rooms assigned and when they went to drop-off their luggage in their rooms, they were 'greeted' by the residents. Needless to say we did lose our focus for the first day or so while the room assignments were corrected. There were cars coming and going all nite long with a number of very loud parties going on, causing a great loss of sleep. Meals were served at one of those Restaurants that were located on the highway overpasses, bad food and high prices. Then the rains came and by the time the preliminaries actually occurred, we were a very tired, very non-focused group of young men.........we always wondered if Sie set us up there on purpose. A rather embarrassing performance, 10 points down to RA, but we did pull back up to within 2.5pts in Portland...............and there's another great story there! Wasn't as much fun as "arranging" St. Kevins Pool furniture at the bottom of their pool in Cleveland, but close(I'll never tell who did it, but it was sure fun watching).