"All American" circuit/contests 1960s-70s?

Jim Nevermann

Someone asked about this in another site: I hadn't thought about AA in ages. I started corps in 1965 [Wichita] and eventually knew of AA through Drum Corps Digest [magazine format] and Drum Corps News [tabloid format] in which brief columns & scores about AA sometimes appeared. But otherwise I recall little else about it.

What do you remember about AA?

Someone asked about this in another site: I hadn't thought about AA in ages. I started corps in 1965 [Wichita] and eventually knew of AA through Drum Corps Digest [magazine format] and Drum Corps News [tabloid format] in which brief columns & scores about AA sometimes appeared. But otherwise I recall little else about it.

What do you remember about AA?

Hey Jim ... AA in Conn was basically a standstill and I&E circuit ... though their Judges Assoc ajudicated DC shows throughout New England, I don't remember the AA being an actual DC circuit ... CT drummers like Earl Sturtze, Bob Redican, Bill LaPorte and Bill Rotella were associated with All American, I believe ... quite a history of drummers from CT there ... the AA I&E Nationals took hold when the VFW abandoned theirs in 67 ... I remember them holding Nats in Chicago and Boston but, not much else ...

:-)

I remember participating in AA I&E contests in the late 60's early 70's. Remember the top 3 would go onto Nationals. I did the one in Milwaukee in 70

• 1 month later...

I was a member of the All American Federation of Contest Judges in 1973. I don't know if this is the same organization that you are referring to but I did my field "trial" with Ray Bennett (RIP) and Joe Wormsworth (who is still going strong in the NY Field Band Circuit) as my "mentors" at the Auburn NY Junior show that year. I remember having LaSalle Cadets over Garfield in field drums which, at that time, included a "content analysis" build up caption on the execution sheet. All memories are subject to the ravages of time and other external and internal influences of the '70's LOL