5 Months Later: A current marching member's thoughts on the 2010 s

Hello all!

It's been a while since I've posted anything here, but I figured I might as well share this. Inspired by the 20% holiday discount, I finally got around to ordering the 2010 Finals DVD a week or so ago. Most of what I knew about the shows besids mine was either snippets from the gate, opinions from friends over the summer with fan network subscriptions, or stuff from DCP. So, I thought you might be interested in hearing my thoughts while these shows are almost completely fresh and new to me.

I've only had time to go through the first disc so far, but it's still a pretty long write-up, so I won't bother pasting it all here - here's the link.

EDIT: Well, that's silly. Apparently my title was too long and got cut off, but the forum software didn't tell me. If a mod wants to cut it off to "thoughts on 2010" or something so I don't look like I forgot to finish what I was typing, I wouldn't complain.

Edited by CrownStarr
  • Like 3

Some really good points made. Some I agree with, some I do not. Just a few points:

1. BD - You talk a lot about what BD SHOULD be, but not what they ARE. A lot of people do this, and it's really starting to bug me. This is one reason people can't enjoy their shows lately. But, I'm sure we'll get over it soon.

2. Cavaliers - Agree with the synth sounds. Absolutely terrible. Also agree with the lack of listen-ability. Still a very cool SHOW, though.

3. Bluecoats - While maybe not "jaw-dropping", it still blew me away by how they put so many new and interesting things on a field at once and didn't get flamed.

4. Crown - Loved the Mahler and Nimrod, but latin? SERIOUSLY?!?! Are they trying to please everyone this badly? Also didn't think the "story" was thick enough for fan involvement. But, not a bad show at all.

5. Cadets - A lot of flack about this drum solo, which I don't understand. They went out on a limb and actually wrote a solo that goes with the theme, rather than a stock batch of notes that goes with whatever else is going on (silence, as the horns stopped playing music). Though I did think the children noises were weird, without them, the Geoffrey part would be lost and far too thin.

Cool stuff, though! Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts!

• Like 1

good stuff. more of a review forum thread, but i agree with a lot of what you say

1. BD - You talk a lot about what BD SHOULD be, but not what they ARE. A lot of people do this, and it's really starting to bug me. This is one reason people can't enjoy their shows lately. But, I'm sure we'll get over it soon.

In my defense, I wasn't trying to say "I wish BD would do this", more that "I wish someone would do this, and BD seems like they'd be the best at it". I don't mean to dodge blame, though; thanks for bringing that point up, it's worth thinking over.

5. Cadets - A lot of flack about this drum solo, which I don't understand. They went out on a limb and actually wrote a solo that goes with the theme, rather than a stock batch of notes that goes with whatever else is going on (silence, as the horns stopped playing music). Though I did think the children noises were weird, without them, the Geoffrey part would be lost and far too thin.

I see your point about the solo; I did like the bit at the beginning where they tied it in with the sound effects, it just went on too long for my tastes. And yeah, I imagine they were toeing that line all season long. Heck, they revamped their guard uniforms mid-season, and I think I remember flags with little Jeffrey's face on them that eventually got cut.

Cool stuff, though! Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts!

No problem - thanks for taking the time to read them!

• Like 1

Would be cool if more current marching members posted their thoughts like this.

It's helps us dinos keep up.

• 1 month later...

Would be cool if more current marching members posted their thoughts like this.

It's helps us dinos keep up.

I'll consider it :smile:

• Like 1