Define Dark

Seems like the label of "dark" gets applied awful liberally these days. What makes a show dark, and as opposed to what? Sunshiny? :huh:

Edited by BozzlyB
  • Like 1

Seems like the label of "dark" gets applied awful liberally these days. What makes a show dark, and as opposed to what? Sunshiny? :huh:

Abscense of light.

• Like 2

IMO these labels are applied to any show that has a 'moody or brooding piece' anywhere in it. To me if a show is called 'dark' the whole show should be woven with the theme. The epitome of the dark show, is, of course, Phantom Regiment 1996.

• Like 3

Blue Devils 1995.

Maybe getting out of context a bit with a WGI drumline reference here...but...Carolina Thunder 1999. Can't get darker than that. That show was a block hole of darkness.

And we all realize that we're just giving examples rather than actually answering the original question.

Ansering that...

You might be right. Its is a pretty broad brush. If it is not obviously described with another word or the slightest bit obscure, it will be labelled dark. I have a similar comment about the HGTV design shows my wife watches. They use the term "clean lines" all the time. To me that just means that its not a mess. Of couse people like stiff that is not a mess. Saying you like clean lines doesn't really describe anything.

Maybe describing something as dark hits you the same way? An incomplete descriptor perhaps?

Edited by jplattSCV

Are you talking the tone of a show, or the characteristic brass sound when you say "dark labeled" show?

I think that the trend in the entertainment business in general is to produce a product that is "dark" and "edgy," in no small part thanks to the success of movies such as 'The Dark Knight.'

I'm not sure, however, what you are referring to when you say that the label of dark is applied liberally these days in reference to drum corps. The only junior show I can think of last few seasons that had a label of 'dark' was Blue Devils' "Through a Glass, Darkly." Are you implying that the average drum corps fan is quick to label shows dark?

From Websters:

Dark - adj \ˈdärk\

1a : devoid or partially devoid of light : not receiving, reflecting, transmitting, or radiating light <a dark room>

b : transmitting only a portion of light <dark glasses>

2a : wholly or partially black <dark clothing>

b of a color : of low or very low lightness

c : being less light in color than other substances of the same kind <dark rum>

3a : arising from or showing evil traits or desires : evil <the dark powers that lead to war>

b : dismal, gloomy <had a dark view of the future>

c : lacking knowledge or culture : unenlightened <a dark period in history>

d : relating to grim or depressing circumstances <dark humor>

4a : not clear to the understanding

b : not known or explored because of remoteness <the darkest reaches of the continent>

5: not fair in complexion : swarthy

6: secret <kept his plans dark>

7: possessing depth and richness <a dark voice>

8: closed to the public <the theater is dark in the summer>

See - "Fate Theme" from Tchaikovsky's 4th Symphony

Maybe getting out of context a bit with a WGI drumline reference here...but...Carolina Thunder 1999. Can't get darker than that. That show was a block hole of darkness.

I'm sure you realize that era of WGI was almost ALL about the dark. I think 99 was kind of at the end of the dark trend (BK won with a show about flight, Mystique did a show about the jungle, etc) but there was a time when dark shows were the trend.

Freakin cool show concept right there...

It is but I prefer "Absence of Synth" :thumbup:

• Like 2