Elvis Costello

You know, I had no idea "Puck 1" was a Costello composition! That was one of my favorite parts of the show and, after listening to the original piece, they stayed pretty faithful to it.

Just like '85 Phantom led me to Symphonie Fantastique, '09 Crown has led me to "Il Sogno" (based on Shakespeare's "A Midsummer Nights Dream"), and i thank them.

Edited by skajerk

That corps SO should have won. Travesty.

Um, no.

Cool thing for Carolina Crown and for drum corps, though.

• Like 2

That corps SO should have won. Travesty.

Disagree completely.

• Like 2

Considering the number of times music rights holders have revoked/denied recording rights of their music, not to mention that YouTube will flag a video at the slightest hint of rights infringement, DCI doesn't have much of a choice in the matter. Heck, I posted a YouTube video of my wife's HS orchestra performing a Mozart piece with the HS chorus and I got a warning from YouTube. Last I checked, Mozart was public domain.

This is a unique situation where the rights holder, Mr. Costello (or his company/attorney/somebody involved), not only allowed the video to stay on YouTube, they posted it on their own website.

Maybe it's the RIAA and their "sue first, ask questions later" strategy which is the massive FAIL.

(well I deferred from going off topic but since you're going there )

Actually there's nothing stopping DCI itself from posting to youtube. Yes there are rights involved. No the obstacles in place are not insurmountable. Many many many organizations post content they produce (which contains copyrighted material belonging to a 3rd party ) on the tube.

Additionally there's nothing to prevent DCI from putting in place a mechanism where fan generated video is submitted to DCI instead of youtube (with a complete forteiture of rights by the submitter) and then is posted to youtube by DCI. yes there would be a certain amount a labor involved but i submit that the drumcorps community would line up to donate that labor if they could get content on the tube.

On topic, very cool that Crown was recognized in this manner. Off topic, I agree with corpsband in the fact that volunteers would drool over the opportunity to aid in having DCI sanctioned youtube videos available for the masses. In my opinion, DCI has cut themselves off from gaining new fans by not exploiting the youtube thing. Marketers have been using youtube for years to gain traffic, fans, customers, etc. Individual corps even use youtube for videos they produce. Millions of people look at youtube every day and DCI should get in on that for sure.

• Like 1

Good exposure for drum corps. I love Elvis Costello's music. I like his wife's music even better! :smile:

• Like 1