NY-Penn

Was just thinking about the NY-Penn Championships back in the 1970's. Parade was usually held in Lackawana, NY sponsored by Baker Victory Guys and Gals drill team (Father Bob). After the parade there would be the standstill and field show corps performing. Usually St. Johnsburg Blue Sabres would win the standstill against the Lake Shore-ettes (all-girl) and the Rhythm-ettes (all-girl) and the Lakeview Shoreliners would beat out the Royal Coachmen. I remember one or two years that the Oswego Black Knights and Greece cadets competed also. Lot more smaller corps like 71st Lancers and the Queensmen, 84th Bucktail regiment too. Also add the Hamburg Kingsmen, Dunkirk patriots and at one time Gypsy Brass from Jamestown, NY.

Was just thinking about the NY-Penn Championships back in the 1970's. Parade was usually held in Lackawana, NY sponsored by Baker Victory Guys and Gals drill team (Father Bob). After the parade there would be the standstill and field show corps performing. Usually St. Johnsburg Blue Sabres would win the standstill against the Lake Shore-ettes (all-girl) and the Rhythm-ettes (all-girl) and the Lakeview Shoreliners would beat out the Royal Coachmen. I remember one or two years that the Oswego Black Knights and Greece cadets competed also. Lot more smaller corps like 71st Lancers and the Queensmen, 84th Bucktail regiment too. Also add the Hamburg Kingsmen, Dunkirk patriots and at one time Gypsy Brass from Jamestown, NY.

We (Dal Demons, a baton, drum and bell corps for kids run by my dad and a great support group of parents) marched the Ny-Penn parade circuit from 1972 - 1977 I think,.........I was 10 years old at the beginning of that run,.........man we had tons of fun when we were little kids, heading off the some parade/festival in Western PA/NY every weekend, Cherry Festival, Corn Festival, Grape Festival, County Fairs, etc............good times!

Silver Creek Grape festival was great back then as well as the Erie County Fair, seems they had a parade every night. I think we marched in 3 or 4 parades there. I think we came back from DCI in '76 and had to do a parade there. Eden Corn Festival was also a HUGE parade back then. Now the largest parade up there is the Canal Fest parade in North Tonawanda. The best drum corps parade up there was the NT Open parade in 1976...Marquis, Colt .45, Royal Coachmen, Simplex Minutemen, peterborough Krescendos, Charioteers and several more.

We (Dal Demons, a baton, drum and bell corps for kids run by my dad and a great support group of parents) marched the Ny-Penn parade circuit from 1972 - 1977 I think,.........I was 10 years old at the beginning of that run,.........man we had tons of fun when we were little kids, heading off the some parade/festival in Western PA/NY every weekend, Cherry Festival, Corn Festival, Grape Festival, County Fairs, etc............good times!

There were several very good local drum corps circuits back in “the good old days”. The NY–Penn was one. My corps wasn’t a member, but, marching out of Utica, we were surrounded by NY-Penn corps. If I’m not mistaken, the Utica Royaliers were a NY-Penn corps.

Three examples of the local circuits of the 60’s and 70’s were the Hudson-Berkshire, NY-Canadian Association and its successor, the AJrC.

Among those who were members of the Hudson-Berkshire circuit; Fairlawn Cadets (NJ), Valiant Crusaders (NY), Pittsfield Monarchs (Ma), Frankfort Starlighters (NY), Magnificent Yankees (NY), PNA Scarlet Raiders (Ma), Continental Cadets (NY), Pittsfield Cavaliers (Ma), Asbury Park Hurricanes (NJ), St. Joseph’s Islanders (NY), Mavericks (NY), Irondequoit Statesmen (NY), Pittsfield Imperials (Ma), Apalachian Grenadiers (NY), Auburn Purple Lancers (NY), Troy Speiglaires (NY), Enfield Sabres (Ct), Pittsfield Blue Angeles (Ma).

I believe the Hudson-Berkshire Circuit ended with the 1964 season.

The NY-Canadian Association has several top corps on the day; St. Joe’s of Batavia (NY), Magnificent Yankees (NY), Irondequoit Statesmen (NY), Conqueror (Can), Emerald Cadets (NY), York Lions (Can), Apalachian Grenadiers (NY), Cadets La Salle (Can), Shortsville Shamrocks (NY), Lakeview Shoreliners (NY), Alpine Girls (NY), De LaSalle (Can), Geneva Appleknockers (NY), St. John’s Girls (Can), Chessmen (NY), Arnprior Lions (Can), Mello-Dears (NY), Tiersmen (NY), Barons of Steuben (NY), St. Joe’s Brothers (NY).

The NY-Can went away after the 1966 season.

The AJrC was the last of these regional circuits of note; St. Joe’s of Batavia (NY), Magnificent Yankees (NY), Toronto Optimists (Can), Geneva Appleknockers (NY), Chessmen (NY), Les Metropolitans (Can), Cadets La Salle (Can), Castlemen (NY), Auburn Purple Lancers (NY), De LaSalle (Can).

The AJrC faded away after the 1970 season.

• 9 years later...

I remember going to Lackawanna for Championships, ususally during the Baker Victory Carnival