What would get you going to more shows and or finals?

What would get you going to more shows and or finals?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. What would get you going to more shows and or finals?

• Lower Ticket Prices
    • Better Economy,gas prices and income
    • Less or no electronics,prerecorded music and narration
    • Location of shows and finals
    • I am attending more shows than ever and everything is perfect with DCI and I would not change a thing.
    • DCI is dead to me and I will never come back
    • Other. Please explain

I'll always be at semis and finals, so I'm no help there. They could get me to more local shows (or any at all) if there were actually one in my state....

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I'm never going back to Indy for finals. Ever. As soon as Finals moves out of the dome, I'll be back in the stands.

Fortunately there are a lot of smaller (outdoor) shows I can go to here in Ohio.

I believe that a lot of people would attend shows if the music selections were based on what is good for the performers.

By that, I don't mean 'challenging' or 'educational', that should be in rehearsals. I mean play the arrangements that leave the performers nodding their heads at the end when they hear the crowd roar their approval.

Looking at 2010 DVDs it is apparent that most Corps actually teach the pit how to 'rock out' as opposed to the kids actually enjoying playing the tunes enough to naturally 'get in the groove'. Compare some synth/pit players bobbing up and down from 2010 with BD pits of the late '80's, you'll see what I mean!

I just watched '88 finals again and I dont see why corps cannot play the kinds of music played that year with a more modern drill. Look at footage from that year and you can see that the kids left it all on the field from 1-12. Emotionally, its on a different level. Technically, it doesn't compare but who cares if the end result is the kids getting a standing 'O' several times during a show?

I read on here from many that they want to be exposed to new music when watching DCI shows. How many people who watched shows in '88 were turned on to new music? How many simply enjoyed what was on offer even though they were familiar with the source? how many babies were thrown that year?

Ask the same questions of 2010. How many people bought the stan kenton cd as a result of listening to BD? How many listened to it more than once? (not BD bashing, just an example!)

IMO, arrangers have contributed to the decline in attendance more than the economy/dome/gas prices/ticket prices ever have.

People will return if these arrangers, who have more talent than I could ever dream of, return to a more emotional style of writing and stop forcing the crowd to 'think' when watching a show.

oh yeah, electronics suck too!

• Like 1

The locations of shows is terrible right now. Living in Utah, there is 1 show the entire season that happens within 800 miles from my house. Its ridiculous how little of shows there are in the west, and I know they are trying to change that, but utah has extremely competitive marching band circuits, and literally thousands of kids that would go to shows. In all honesty, I would fork over 250 dollars to DCI every summer if I got to see 4 shows, not the 1 that I continue to get every year.

IMO, arrangers have contributed to the decline in attendance more than the economy/dome/gas prices/ticket prices ever have.

People will return if these arrangers, who have more talent than I could ever dream of, return to a more emotional style of writing and stop forcing the crowd to 'think' when watching a show.

oh yeah, electronics suck too!

For me, more "accessible music." Thanks Cavaliers for doing your part. I agree with Jay. Check out The Cadets in 2001 or 2002 performing Bugle Boy. They consistantly received the most applause at all non-finals week shows that year. I was there. This poll, imo, is lacking the most important reason.

Edited by BeachDrums

For me, more "accessible music." Thanks Cavaliers for doing your part. I agree with Jay. Check out The Cadets in 2001 or 2002 performing Bugle Boy. They consistantly received the most applause at all non-finals week shows that year. I was there. This poll, imo, is lacking the most important reason.

Okay riddle me this: How many corps need to have accessible music for this not to be a problem any more. I thought a majority of finalist corps last year had "accessible music". Cadets, Madison, Crown, BK, Blue Stars, Phantom, Cavies, Boston,

cases can be made for Bluecoats, Glassmen, SCV,... BD...

Or is this just a matter of opinion?

Okay riddle me this: How many corps need to have accessible music for this not to be a problem any more. I thought a majority of finalist corps last year had "accessible music". Cadets, Madison, Crown, BK, Blue Stars, Phantom, Cavies, Boston,

cases can be made for Bluecoats, Glassmen, SCV,... BD...

Or is this just a matter of opinion?

it boils down to opinion. And while I may know many of the tunes played last year, the arrangement of them in many cases is what left me flat. But I know I had no idea what the hell Spartacus was in 81, but the arrangement sold me. I never heard of Chuck Mangione til 76 BD and the arrangement sold me. Star's stuff in 90 and 93? sold me.

why? the arrangment

• Like 2

it boils down to opinion. And while I may know many of the tunes played last year, the arrangement of them in many cases is what left me flat. But I know I had no idea what the hell Spartacus was in 81, but the arrangement sold me. I never heard of Chuck Mangione til 76 BD and the arrangement sold me. Star's stuff in 90 and 93? sold me.

why? the arrangment

I'm under the impression that all designers not infallible. They make mistakes and sometimes they just make bad shows. But no amount of rule changes or judging changes is going to change a designer's poor choices.

Edited by charlie1223

I'm under the impression that all designers not infallible. They make mistakes and sometimes they just make bad shows. But no amount of rule changes or judging changes is going to change a designer's poor choices.

don't think they don't try!

For me and many of the other "Older and Wiser" ones out there, it's all about the music. I will not be back in the stands until we start hearing recognizable music/songs again from the majority of the Corps. Even with all the changes that I don't care for, I can live with it all, but I can't live with all the god awful unrecognizable musical selections..................