Phantomology - A Historical Overview of Phantom Regiment

Part ONE: 1975-1988

A few weeks ago I decided to incorporate some sort of a “marathon” if you will , that would challenge me to watch selective DCI shows over a set period of time. I own most of the entire catalog of DVDs and what I do not own, I have access through my membership with the Fan Network.

Rather than just watch a top 12 from a certain year, I elected to choose a specific drum corps and watch in chronological order, their entire history. I chose Phantom Regiment and almost every day, I have watched one of their shows starting with 1975. I am not here to review year by year, but rather give an overview of what my logic is on their history and what I have enjoyed most up to this point. (As of this writing, I am up to the year 2000)

A little about me, I have attended every Finals since 1988 (except 2008, what a year to miss). I have seen in person therefore, their top 3-4 “famous” shows (1989, 1993, 1996, 2003 etc..) What I can tell you is this, those shows are not overrated in the slightest bit. In fact when you watch them in order, you can appreciate them even that much more. Okay here is a summary of what I have witnessed over the last 3 weeks….

The 1970s IMO, were actually better than I might have expected. To be honest, I had never watched them until 3 weeks ago. Like all 1970s shows, better on the ear than the eye. In fact most of those years in the mid-1970s they had a park and play number, usually the third number. The brass set the standard for which would become that Regiment traditional deep brass sound. Would I watch the 1970s shows on a regular basis? No, but I would play those shows on my iPod without hesitation, however they do not stand out to me individually like some of their later years do. Another issue I had was when for example they played “New World Symphony” in the 1970s, I found myself comparing it to 1989. Not fair, but perhaps if I saw that show first, or even marched in that era, it might be a different story.

Rolling into the 1980s, I did not see a major change until 1982’s Spartacus. To me the 1970s continued up until this point, with minimal improvements in drill. (Off the top of my head, I think I do remember preferring the 1983 version over 1982). I did enjoy that era from 1982 -1984. Funny how they did the same show every two years in that four year period.

An odd thing happened in 1985 and 1986, the shows for whatever reason were not as appealing as that three year period from 1982-1984. In some ways, they had taken a few steps back it seemed. This is not a reflection of talent, and I do not want to offend anyone, I just am curious to what might have happened. I will say this, the 1985 closer was incredible.

1987 - To me, this is the beginning of the Phantom we know. Yes, the all-white uniforms made for a huge difference as opposed to the red-black combo from 1986. However, I do think there was more to their success than just that. Their drum line was the biggest improvement by far and the brass was back to 1983 level. That is a show that I can still watch and listen to today. 1988 was an improvement perhaps over 1987, but the jump from 1987 to 1988 was not nearly as memorable to me as 1986-1987. 1988 was a cleaner and perhaps more talented corps, in fact I would almost bet that the 1989 corps featured a majority of their members from these two years.

(next up 1989 -1999, The best and worst Phantom shows that I have ever seen came from this decade)

I could have been more detailed, but it has been a few weeks since I have seen the shows and maybe I will write a daily review, but wow, kids, work, and life. It's a miracle I have had time to write this much. Would love feedback and additional input as well.

Edited by ohbaby
  • Like 3

If you ever decide to do this with other corps, I would definitely be interested in reading it.

This is a whole lot better than the other "junk" threads that plague DCP in the off-season.

Thank you for contributing this.

• Like 2

> An odd thing happened in 1985 and 1986, the shows for whatever reason were not as appealing as that four year period from 1982-1984. In some ways, they had taken a few steps back it seemed. This is not a reflection of talent, and I do not want to offend anyone, I just am curious to what might have happened.

From what I have heard from some former Regiment people was that there was some sort of internal "implosion" within the staff/performers on the way back to Rockford after 1984 finals in Atlanta. Cannot say that with certainty, because I was not involved, and it seems to be a thorn nobody wants to rehash.

I'm one of the few who LOVES the '85 show. As soon as I got home from tour that year, I rushed out and bought a copy of Symphonie Fantastique. No other corps/show has done that for me.

In my opinion Phantom Regiment are DCIs great enigma. You never quite know what youre going to get… a 1986/2009 or a 1996/2008. I dont think any other corps has such extremes.

Makes it interesting of youre a neutral, drives you mad if youre a Phan! :ph34r:

Edited by 3rd Glasgow BB
  • Like 1

If you ever decide to do this with other corps, I would definitely be interested in reading it.

This is a whole lot better than the other "junk" threads that plague DCP in the off-season.

Thank you for contributing this.

Funny you say that, my goal is to at some point do every corp. I have no set order, but I have decided that I will do Carolina Crown next. Oddly enough, I do not remember too much about their shows from 1995-2003. It should be a fun watch and this does make it exciting, there is something to look forward to more or less everyday.

• Like 1

Spartacus was actually 1981 and 1982. And I'm surprised you didn't give any love to the fact that prior to 89, the only major caption they won at a Finals was M&M in 1980. That drill is so clean it's almost unreal.