1972 - 2010

This is a question/s for old timers and anyone that has a strong opinion regarding loss of corps in today's current market.

why do you think there were so many corps in the early 70's compared to less than 40 today.

Has the xbox/ps3 generation hindered recruitment?

is touring too long/ too expensive?

Has the big boys put smaller corps out of competition?

Do you think too many members move to more successful corps and leave there original corps in the lurch?

should there be a restriction of movement for corps members ie if your from Texas you join a Texas corps?

feel free to add your reasons why it is diminishing, we all have our opinions regarding electronics and the g-7.... is there any other reasons why corps are folding and not many starting up?

yes and a whole lot more. Kids now have more choices than ever before with how to spend their time. college is even more important and even more demanding, causing many to need to work to get thru it. You don't have that local flavor to corps anymore, so kids who may have participated in the past, now don't have that same type of activity to pass on to the next generations. yes it costs a lot more...still would even with 100 corps active. life in general costs more.

I personally think the activity doesn't do enough to attract kids from a younger age, I know it doesn't happen this side of the pond but yet the brass band circuit is huge here. I could be wrong but there is supposedly in excess off 750 brass bands in the UK alone!!

I know when I started we had so many band/drum corps choices on our door step, 7 within an 8 mile radius. we have 2 now with numbers in decline. The recruitment isn't done like it used to as kids involved move to the bigger corps therefore as Jeff mentions the local flavour is missing.

Open class is where DCI maybe should concentrate on, lets face it the big boys can take care of them selves.

I'd have to ask how many of those "400" corps actually hit the field. I know of a corps from back then that just did parades and local events that called themselves a "drum & bugle corps," but the closest they ever came to a competition was watching the local show on the 4th of July. Back then, anyone that had 8 horns in their garage called themselves a drum and bugle corps. That does diminish the pool if you require them to actually compete in a show vs marching in the local July 4th parade.

Has anyone noticed how BAD the 12th place corps of the 70s sound? And there were 380 corps WORSE than that?

IMO, I really wouldn't care if only 10 corps are left, as long as all of them are AWESOME.

Sure, we can make arguments about the important role "non-competitive" corps might fill (#380,above), but don't try to tell me there's seriously any level of excellence. Again, I get it: It's desirable to maintain a certain number of corps, just to give a bunch of members/staffs/philanthropists something to do.

To say that "making the top 12 meant something" in the 70s is like saying "well, at least I was Einstein's shoe-shine boy."

Today's 12th (Heck maybe 23rd) place corps could probably have won in 1972. DCI's birth, with its focus on choosing one clear, universal winner is a strong cause for the 380 corps disappearing, and I thank them for that. It's like watching a pee-wee tee-ball game from a bubble, where the parents/coaches/kids are all totally invested, but in your bubble you're thinking "who can watch this garbage, but parents/coaches/kids?" It doesn't really diminish what they're doing, for themselves, but don't expect everyone else to pay for it!!!

• Like 2

Has anyone noticed how BAD the 12th place corps of the 70s sound? And there were 380 corps WORSE than that?

OK, so.... for instance... the 73 Commodors... 12th place... horn line instructed by Jim Ott and Wayne Downey. But, yeah they really sucked, huh?

Edited by Toby
Removal of personal attack - TS
  • Like 3

You can keep the kids off the streets with some drumcorps or other local program, but not when you tour the whole summer and charge a few grand.

Thank you!

I think one of the culprits over the years has been an increasing accessibility to other corps that were no where close to you. Used to be be the notion of going a thousand miles to march a drum corps in California was absurd if there was one in your hometown, regardless of who placed where. Now location is considered but for many members is no where near the top priority in deciding where to march. People often decide which corps they're interested in and chalk it up as a loss if they don't make it and try again next year.

OK, so.... for instance... the 73 Commodors... 12th place... horn line instructed by Jim Ott and Wayne Downey. But, yeah they really sucked, huh?

Not to mention that crappy mellophone soloist they had! :rolleyes: (Actually, I thought they had a better horn line than Madison-who won high horns-at finals that year.)

What is the problem now? More things to do and less money to do it with.

Edited by FrankBeMe

IMO, I really wouldn't care if only 10 corps are left, as long as all of them are AWESOME.

Just enjoy making your vacation plans around seeing ANY type of Drum Corps instead of those "crappy" corps that were nearby. #### glad I spent time in the "lesser" Senior circuit so I could learn to appreciate the time and effort those "crappy" corps put in.

OK, let's add the "if you ain't top 3/10/12/whatever, you shouldn't be allowed to exist" mentality.

Yup, they certainly did. I don't care if God ran that hornline. Note that "sounded bad" includes the entire musical ensemble. Commodores 1973 and Pioneer 2010 are both represented on the Evil Tube Thing. Feel free to listen to them back to back, as I did just now. Commodores certainly "blasted more" than Pioneer. If that's your bag, have at it. Not one single chord is centered or balanced with Commodores. Granted, maybe Wayne and Ott deserve medals for the level they DID achieve within the limits they had!

I know it's difficult to be objective when high emotions are involved. I'm not trying to p!S$ anyone off. I'm just using my ears, and asking "is this worth paying for?"

Edited by Toby
  • Like 1