Tama Marching Drums

rlrr

Looks like Tama marching drums are for real.

tumblr_lg1mgxMmNN1qz51fao1_500.jpg

I'll be curious to see how / if they can break into the DCI market. Seems most drum manufacturers either have or are allied with a horn maker.

I think it says something that marching bands were used for testing...

• Like 1

I like the finish on that one...not necessarily the color, but that would look sweet in so many different colors.

interesting bolt pattern. doesn't have a straight through like pearl does...shoots the gaps on the free floater part...

Tama and Mapex used to be the same company at one point I believe.

Tama has ALWAYS been my drum company of choice when it comes to drumsets, mainly because they've always been the best at hardware (stems back from the Camco days)

To me it looks like yet another heavy, Formica-hard headed "McDrum". :/

Tama and Mapex used to be the same company at one point I believe.

Tama has ALWAYS been my drum company of choice when it comes to drumsets, mainly because they've always been the best at hardware (stems back from the Camco days)

I'm with you, Eric. Tama makes amazing sets. I just hope they do better than Mapex as far as stadium hardware is concerned.

I'm with you, Eric. Tama makes amazing sets. I just hope they do better than Mapex as far as stadium hardware is concerned.

Mapex uses XL hardware, same as Premier (and also sold directly for use with Yamaha, Pearl and Dynasty). I assume that's just cheaper than designing your own hardware line.

Mike

As someone else mentioned, as to how they're break into the market...

I think the door pretty much closed on the drum corps market over the last few months. With the exception of Pearl, everyone else comes with a horn company.

Dynasty - Dynasty

Mapex - Jupiter

Yamaha - Yamaha

Ludwig (they're making a big splash in 2012) - Conn/Selmer/King

If Tama is planning on getting in the market, they're gonna be competing against Dynasty, Mapex, Yamaha, Pearl, Ludwig & Premier (now that they're making a USA comeback).

Another obstacle with marching bands, is getting thru to the counties. For example, here in Hillsborough county (tampa, fl), new schools get Yamaha's.

Here's a video from TMEA of the new drums:

I'm really impressed. A LOT of thought went into fixing problems common problems. I'm really looking forward to PASIC so I can try them out myself.