Tama Marching Drums

rlrr

Tama's manufacturing standards are the best in the industry - at least for their Starclassic series (which these marching drums are cut from). My concern is that they don't make keyboard instruments and most corps use the package deal from their choice of manufacturers. Having made that point - Tom Float was very instrumental in the design of these incredible drums so possibly VK could be the first DCI corps to use Tama? Who knows but even though I'm old and too fat to march I will be purchasing one of those beautiful snares when they become available to the public. Tama has a HUGE selection of gorgeous finishes and it would look great standing next to my small collection of custom marching snares. :thumbup:

• Like 1

Here's a video from TMEA of the new drums:

I'm really impressed. A LOT of thought went into fixing problems common problems. I'm really looking forward to PASIC so I can try them out myself.

I'm no expert, but i'm very impressed by watching that video.

I think it says something that marching bands were used for testing...

Ayala at that...which means indoor exposure.

• Like 1

I think it says something that marching bands were used for testing...

Ayala at that...which means indoor exposure.

I think that was very smart of Tama. Allowed them to test more discreetly as well as get a better understanding of the abuses the equipment goes through. In DCI the drums would get played on a ton more, but top 12 lines are going to take better care of the equipment than high school kids. Not to mention testing drums and stands for all conditions like bleachers at football games and varied temps versus just plain hot during the summer will give the designers a better understanding of how the products will be used in the real world.

Some really good ideas built into both the tenors and snares, though I've gotta believe some of the extras on the snares are only going to add weight.

Still, it's good to see something new brought to bear, since both Y and P have been a little complacent in developing their marching products the last ten years or so.

Edited by mobrien

I'd go further and say 20 years. Pearl introduced the FFX in 1990, and it seems the only real changes they've made since then are to attach the strainer to the rods and the optional carbon-fiber finish.

As for the sFz, debuted in 1992... I think it's the exact same drum then as now.

Mike

I'm thinking the MTS strainer was offered as an option starting about ten years ago, but it could have been around even earlier, and I wasn't noticing it.

Tama and Mapex used to be the same company at one point I believe.

Tama has ALWAYS been my drum company of choice when it comes to drumsets, mainly because they've always been the best at hardware (stems back from the Camco days)

Tama and Mapex have always been two separate companies, Tama from Japan and Mapex from Taiwan.

Tom Float has 4 videos up on his facebook page detailing these new drums.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/video/video.php?v=10150147159158417

• Like 1

Tama and Mapex have always been two separate companies, Tama from Japan and Mapex from Taiwan.

Right, but Tama used to manufacture some of the drums for Mapex.