Tama Marching Drums

rlrr

I'm not a big fan of taping down snare guts, but the "buzz killer mutes" look like a good idea for those that do. I do like that you can remove the snares in 2 seconds without changing the tension. The high position of the strainer is cool...but how hard is it to reach the strainer and how often do you really need to do it?

The harnesses look interesting. Did they radically depart from the traditional should strap for the sake of change? The don't really look comfortable....especially if you lose that shoulder pad and have to rest the bars on your shoulders. I could see that happening on tour...ugh.

All the adjustment knobs, tenor legs, snare gut frames etc just strike me as extra weight. I'm really curious to find out how much these babies weigh and how they would hold up on a DCI tour.

I'm not a big fan of taping down snare guts, but the "buzz killer mutes" look like a good idea for those that do. I do like that you can remove the snares in 2 seconds without changing the tension. The high position of the strainer is cool...but how hard is it to reach the strainer and how often do you really need to do it?

The harnesses look interesting. Did they radically depart from the traditional should strap for the sake of change? The don't really look comfortable....especially if you lose that shoulder pad and have to rest the bars on your shoulders. I could see that happening on tour...ugh.

All the adjustment knobs, tenor legs, snare gut frames etc just strike me as extra weight. I'm really curious to find out how much these babies weigh and how they would hold up on a DCI tour.

I'm sure in 2012 we'll find out how they hold up.

• Like 1

Us old guys have a hard time lugging those heavy buggers.

Which is precisely why my Seattle area adult drumline 2nd Wind uses Dynasty Wedge snares. For a single head, shallow-shell marching snare they have astonishingly good projection & sound... not to mention weighing a mere 11 pounds AND costing less than regular designs.

Why schlep heavier, traditional configuration snares around? I don't know, either.

Edited by Jim Nevermann

• 2 weeks later...

Its too bad :smile: the Drum Companies won't make an Alumni Corps drum thats designed as in the past similar to the Ludwig Challenger or Slingerland TDR. Us old guys have a hard time lugging those heavy buggers.Add the carrier and ya got more weight. We use 10 lug snare and 8 lug tenor LUDWIG "SUPER CLASSICS" aka Challengers in our Alumni Corps with SLINGS!!!

Tracked em down on EBAY had them recovered in red sparkle look, sound GREAT!! What a drum should sound like IMHO if you want that "traditional" sound.

The drum companies are all still running a business. If there was a true market for them to manufacture drums like those, they would. There's a reason they don't. They aren't coveted except for by a small group of drummers. There's no profit in even having the materials to make those drums anymore.

The drum companies are all still running a business. If there was a true market for them to manufacture drums like those, they would. There's a reason they don't. They aren't coveted except for by a small group of drummers. There's no profit in even having the materials to make those drums anymore.

True but there's nobody stopping you from tuning the modern snares to sound like the classic marching drums from the past. I have two Yamaha SFZs. One has the white max on top and falams snare side on the bottom. It's mildly cranked and sounds good. The other one has mylar top and bottom. It's not cranked enough to break the heads but it sounds fantastic. It sounds better than the drum with the kevlar.

• Like 2

True but there's nobody stopping you from tuning the modern snares to sound like the classic marching drums from the past. I have two Yamaha SFZs. One has the white max on top and falams snare side on the bottom. It's mildly cranked and sounds good. The other one has mylar top and bottom. It's not cranked enough to break the heads but it sounds fantastic. It sounds better than the drum with the kevlar.

This is a great point. Rhythm X's show this year involves several different sets of snares with different head configurations, but the drums are all the same. The drums they are using the mylar heads on sound fantastic!

There are videos of such on the site-that-must-not-be-named.

• 1 month later...

From a tweet from Gold Drum Corps The snare line getting ready to start sectionals.

313876508.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1307254576&Signature=H%2FXwksbXi0c73a75Y%2FwPSa3JMgc%3D

Or link to the photo - http://twitpic.com/56vgnw

Edited by Jeffe77