First Female Drum Majors in Finals?

One of the GREAT DM's of my era, for sure. She had a wonderful command voice. :thumbup:

of our era, for sure. You're not alone. A few from our era are here,however, the ladies with command voices are usually offline :thumbup:

except me :smile: It would be fun to have a female drum major get together 'cause most of us have never met! except Barb and I :bigsmile::

Also not a "first," but Bridgemen had a female DM several years in a row, correct? I'm thinking 78, 79, 80, and 81?

"Female DM's in Finals":

Going WAY BACK to a time DCI would like us all to forget, St Vincent's Cadets had "Female Drum Majors" in VFW & AL Nationals Finals, and those ladies led the "Big Green Wave" to numerous championships in the late 1940's and throughout the 1950's.

Elphaba

Also not a "first," but Bridgemen had a female DM several years in a row, correct? I'm thinking 78, 79, 80, and 81?

Cool; good to know there were others; thanks. I was DM 72, 73, 74, 75 for a competitive co-ed corps and DM 77, 78, 79 for a non-competitive all girl corps. My arms get tired just thinking about it lol ;-)

Diane Brady, at least in 80 and 81.

Marcia Hansen may have been the first sole female field commander. Jill Moyer and Diane Brady, for instance, were parts of a duo (Bret Mascarro for the Xmen and Jim Jordan at Bayonne). Marcia was it for Phantom. And she was sensational. I saw her in rehearsal several times as well as in performance.

Edited by tommytimp

"Female DM's in Finals":

Going WAY BACK to a time DCI would like us all to forget, St Vincent's Cadets had "Female Drum Majors" in VFW & AL Nationals Finals, and those ladies led the "Big Green Wave" to numerous championships in the late 1940's and throughout the 1950's.

Elphaba

As also did in the 1940's and 1950's before the days of DCI from Chicago' the "Norwood Park Imperials" and then later in the 1960's the Chicago Royal-Airs.

of our era, for sure. You're not alone. A few from our era are here,however, the ladies with command voices are usually offline :thumbup:

except me :smile: It would be fun to have a female drum major get together 'cause most of us have never met! except Barb and I :bigsmile::

Linda, I think it would be very interesting for all the female drum majors (from both co-ed and all female corps) to get together and share their experiences from over the years. I'm sure there would be some great stories. I was fortunate to have some wonderful role models to pave the way for me - Betty Reynolds, Terry English, Heather Kelly, Nancy Hanselman, to name a few (all St. John's dm's) and yourself - such a huge presense in such a small package, (and no one could make that skirt move the way you could when you were marching).

I know it doesn't count for this thread but I was dm for St. John's at DCI Finals in '76 when we played all the corps on for retreat. We even made the video - during Madison's performance you can see us setting up on the back side-line. Fun times.

Kelly

Linda, I think it would be very interesting for all the female drum majors (from both co-ed and all female corps) to get together and share their experiences from over the years. I'm sure there would be some great stories. I was fortunate to have some wonderful role models to pave the way for me - Betty Reynolds, Terry English, Heather Kelly, Nancy Hanselman, to name a few (all St. John's dm's) and yourself - such a huge presense in such a small package, (and no one could make that skirt move the way you could when you were marching).

I know it doesn't count for this thread but I was dm for St. John's at DCI Finals in '76 when we played all the corps on for retreat. We even made the video - during Madison's performance you can see us setting up on the back side-line. Fun times.

Kelly

Hi Kelly. I've collected 46 DVDs since 2008, viewed 1976 last night and there you were, left side of centre during the first bars of Madison's drum solo. Very cool! :bigsmile: Respectfully, the DMs before me were Harry Francis (1969), Bruce Kirton (1970), Ron Smith (1970/71) and Art McCabe (1971). I was assigned the DM role April 1972, perhaps the first female drum major for our corps since it was founded in 1961. I was inspired by the polished, poised and classy DMs of the many Ontario and Quebec all girl corps that majestically marched in that era long ago.

I wore my navy guard skirt in 72 and 73 with a white tunic. The corps wore red shakos with white plumes. I wore a silver shako with a red plume. In 1974, the volunteers made me a black skirt with red lining that was a full circle with a smaller circle cut out for my waist. I felt I could fly in that skirt. I'm so grateful for our volunteers and their strategic sewing.

I can't remember if it was in NY, Ohio or Pennsylvania, might have been 1972; it was a DM only retreat; I was the only female and the shortest; I was so nervous, I was shaking in my boots. Our corps came in last but they gave me the best DM trophy, an awkward moment. Nice chatting with you Kelly :smile: