Judging Amplification and Electronics

The problem I have, and always have had, is that electronic sound reproduction (which is judged and has a bearing on scoring outcome) is controlled by an "adult non-corps member"; which goes directly against the philosophy that only the youth performers can control performance aspects of the show which are judged.

If I could, I would give this comment an infinite number of positives.

I have similar concerns about the soloistic nature of synthesized sounds in general, but the non-member control of amplification is particularly troubling.

• Like 1

Unplug drum corps - for the love of God......

I think I've found my DCP family. I've been saying this ever since the rule was changed. Why do we need to make the loudest musical activity in the world even louder and only by artificial means? Especially if that comes with a risk of making it sound awful?

Why not just pre-record the whole show and have the corps play along at their softest dynamic level? Then we could boost the recording and have a perfect performance every time!

• Like 4

• 10 months later...

So you can discern the specific criteria of a performance judge's analysis just by sitting in the press box area and then seeing a recap? What are the voice recordings for, then. Why aren't you judging?

Yes, relative to the spread of scores around that corps' score within that caption

I'd like clarity on the electronic rule as passed. I recall the proposal was one stroke, one note, is that how it passed and is that still how it is written?

I have not seen any further proposals that would say differently, but without a copy of the rulebook, I have no idea if that;'s been modified

Unplug drum corps - for the love of God......

At the risk of being called a dino, I agree. If I wanted a rock concert I'd go see Kiss.

• Like 2

I knew it, I just knew it!!!!!:doh:

I have not seen any further proposals that would say differently, but without a copy of the rulebook, I have no idea if that;'s been modified

Just curious, then how does that work with vocal samples? Is there a clause for them or are they under a different category? A few corps have used vocal samples that contain more than one note, Blue Devils, Bluecoats and Cavies jump to mind.

Anyone know how that works?