Judging Amplification and Electronics

demand really isn't an issue as anything electronic is mostly covered by upstairs sheets, and on GE, it's more of did it make it effective regardless of needing 1 finger or 8 fingers to push the buttons,.

balance should be addressed on ensemble, tho it can bleed to effect is there are balance issues. To this day, I still suspect balance is an issue skirted by the judging community

• Like 2

I guess that's the case but I would find it kind hard to get into the end of the show when I've only got one finger in play....

Maybe that's old school where you expected to play loud and ram a lot of notes (battery) at the big finish.

I guess that's the case but I would find it kind hard to get into the end of the show when I've only got one finger in play....

Maybe that's old school where you expected to play loud and ram a lot of notes (battery) at the big finish.

well many people out there make millions using one finger in rock groups...and they can play for 3 hours a night

well many people out there make millions using one finger in rock groups...and they can play for 3 hours a night

John Entwistle, bass player of the rock group The Who, during live versions of the song Magic Bus was anchored on one note for over ten minutes!!!

... To this day, I still suspect balance is an issue skirted by the judging community.

Curious thought... Could it be that the balance issue is skirted or avoided by the judging community because the sound is controlled through the sound-board which is ran by an adult and not a youth member?

Curious thought... Could it be that the balance issue is skirted or avoided by the judging community because the sound is controlled through the sound-board which is ran by an adult and not a youth member?

This is actually another issue I have with the electronics thing. The show on the field should be purely the members - no adult intervention.

This is actually another issue I have with the electronics thing. The show on the field should be purely the members - no adult intervention.

Weren't marching bands the first marching groups to use electronic "enhancement"? Just sayin'...

• Like 1

I don't want to stray into yet another "I hate amps - I love amps" match up, but coming back to the judging intent of this thread, my concern is that the only people being evaluated at showtime should be the kids, and no adult should be influencing what happens on the field. If the guy on the mixing board screws up, is it reflected on the sheets? In my mind, it should be, but that means you're hitting the corps for what an adult did. Best answer in my mind is to eliminate the source of the controversy. I don't think electronics can be fairly judged.

• Like 2

I don't want to stray into yet another "I hate amps - I love amps" match up, but coming back to the judging intent of this thread, my concern is that the only people being evaluated at showtime should be the kids, and no adult should be influencing what happens on the field. If the guy on the mixing board screws up, is it reflected on the sheets? In my mind, it should be, but that means you're hitting the corps for what an adult did. Best answer in my mind is to eliminate the source of the controversy. I don't think electronics can be fairly judged.

THIS: (An adult in control of the sound during a judged performance when the performance/outcome is only supposed to be controlled by the performing youth) has been and will continue to be my main contention with the use of electronics in DCI.

• Like 3

it wasn't addressed when it was handled in the pit, by the sound guy on the field, or now by the ipad. Why start now?