Judging Amplification and Electronics

I for one bailed at the end of '05 and just went back last year - electronics to blame. You don't really think I'm alone in this, do you?

One quick question for ya then I will move on: Are Slide Whistles and Bird Calls actual "percussion" instruments, or are they non-bell front non-brass wind instruments used by percussionists?

One quick question for ya then I will move on: Are Slide Whistles and Bird Calls actual "percussion" instruments, or are they non-bell front non-brass wind instruments used by percussionists?

I've seen questions like this before. It has little or nothing to do with the question but it's intended to create an opening to make a point. Please just make it so we can finally step away to something else....

I've seen questions like this before. It has little or nothing to do with the question but it's intended to create an opening to make a point. Please just make it so we can finally step away to something else....

You already "know" the point; so what is the point in me pointing out the point?

Plus...the sound person can run the met at rehearsals!

how so?

sound should be balanced at all times. mics can go hot even if you pre-set everything.

the met is in the back of the field.

how can you balance sound from back there? That's worse than trying to do it from inside the pit.

Just to be clear I'm only talking about the production side as you put it. IOW the person up in the stands and not the on field performer. First I'm reading that the person in the stands does not have to one of the corps members and might be an adult. Second how complex is that sound board matrix and what does that person actually do? Does it control the volume of the main amps or does it also control the types and tone coming from the electronics being played by the on field member(s). If the on field members have total control than the sound board person controls volume and not much else. If the off field person controls/change the sound produced by the members, well that gets into an area I don't agree with. And by "controlling sound" I mean things other than volume and not volume.

Disclaimer: Not meant to be a flaming response, most of my post is questions as I read conflicting things in the posts on electronics.

Edit: After reading the above post I have another question: Who actually does the things you described to MikeD? Is it a student or an adult....

having helped run sound in indoor from the stands, things can and do need to be tweaked all the time. mics can go hot. someone can accidentally step ona wire. it is electronics, and sometimes they can blank out.

depending on the set up, you can control every mic individually. The members are taught to play the show the way it's written and given todays drill demands, they can't always tell if something behind them is out of balance. the focus of the pit should be listening back for timing.

In fact, if youwant to run the sound properly, you don't even get a chance to enjoy the show, you're too focused on the sound being right.

they a re commonly referred to as percussion accessories

how so?

sound should be balanced at all times. mics can go hot even if you pre-set everything.

the met is in the back of the field.

how can you balance sound from back there? That's worse than trying to do it from inside the pit.

Look a couple of posts up...forgot a :tongue: ...was supposed to refer to the person being in charge of anything 'sound-wise' in an apparently-not-so humorous way!

Look a couple of posts up...forgot a :tongue: ...was supposed to refer to the person being in charge of anything 'sound-wise' in an apparently-not-so humorous way!

that's what you get for trying to be funny

:devil:

• What's going to happen when a lesser corp puts a Rick Wakeman, or 2, or 3, in the pit and writes everything else in support of the keyboards ?
  • Heck, let's toss in mics on every instrument and a full sound setup like a rock concert and we'll really be getting some where.
  • Six Wives of Henry the VIII - here we come !
  • Too bad Star isn't still on the field to show us all - how to take this to the extreme.