Firsts!

"Firsts"

First "Marching Tymps": 1967, Boston Crusaders. They were actually bass drums cobbled together and carried/played by Tony Smith. Another "Shellmer" inovation.

Elphaba

Believe Tony first carried them in competition at the Prince Standstill. He was heard saying if the crowd started laughing at him, he would keep right on marching to the opposite exit, in the arena, at the end of the OTL company front.

As far as actual Kettle drums there were quite a few corps in 1968 that had them so no one was really first.

• 4 months later...

"Firsts"

First corps "OTL" at 1972 DCI Prelims was the Hawthorne Muchachos.

First "Marching Tymps": 1967, Boston Crusaders. They were actually bass drums cobbled together and carried/played by Tony Smith. Another "Shellmer" inovation.

Elphaba

I believe the first corps to take the field on the first day of prelim competition at DCI in 1972 was the Queen City Cadets from Cincinnati, Ohio at 8:00am. It just so happens that the Director of DCI was in that corps!

Tom Slade

The Ludwig fiberglass machine marching tymps first appeared in the summer of '68.

In the Midwest, DP Vanguard brought out a set and RAs and the Kilties followed suit.

Out East, Boston led the way.

Somebody had to have tymps before 1968. As to the drums mentioned above ... Pick just about any corps in '68. We marched them and if we did, then just about every corps Hy and Eric worked with had them ... We had them at the Felt Forum

TympsatMadisonSquareGarden.jpg

(remember Madison Square Garden's Felt Forum?) for Evening With The Corps so that means we'd been rehearsing with them all winter ... remember rehearsals (not camp) in autumn, winter and spring before the season, anyone? BTT - But c'mon! 1968? Only Boston?

TymsOnTheField.jpg

Our tymp line in '68 - Barry and Rod - our last year as St. Joseph Patron Cadets.

By the next year we had 4 - all different sizes and those guys actually did a lot more than just help row a big boat, if you know what I mean. They played music!

Somebody from down East help me out here. Didn't SAC have them and the Bronx Kingsmen? Like I said, nobody was using them any more than the tuned bass drums that year - but they were out there. So find me someone from 1967

'cause there is no winner for '68.

But wait! Apparently someone did the research for us and even us old guys can find stuff on the web here's a page out of history so to speak.

drummersfirsts.jpg

What do I know? I played French Horn.

Edited by Puppet

I don't know the answers to these but thought it would be fun to find out.

Who was the first corps to step off at the 1972 DCI prelims?

Who was the first corps to play a rock song in their show?

Who was the first corps to have 60 or more brass? Number and year?

Who was the first corps to march timpani's?

Who was the first corps to have a themed show?

Great questions! But who was the first to use theatrics? :music:

The Chicago Royal-Airs played the Paul Anka hit song "Diana" for a number of years in the very early 1960's. Although in 1965 we were the first and only drum corps to ever win the Triple crown of the drum corps nationals (CYO, VFW & American Legion) in the same year we didn't have a Contra Bass to march with until 1966. In 1967 we marched with 59 players in the horn line. We were the first corps to start using various multi-pitched base drums in 1966 and we marched with tympani's in 1968.

Am I mistaken or are these guys them? Or the Appleknockers?

AKbigtriple.jpg

I think this is from 1968. Now that I'm old I can't see colors in B&W the way I used to.

Am I mistaken or are these guys them? Or the Appleknockers?

AKbigtriple.jpg

I think this is from 1968.

Anaheim Kingsmen, 1969. The bells were used at World Open, but not at VFW or AL nats.

Edited by HornsUp

Anaheim Kingsmen, 1969. The bells were used at World Open, but not at VFW or AL nats.

Now that's really weird. Why would I have a shot of the Kingsmen drumline?

Loved their hornline Loved the guard. Especially the rifles.

B&W doesn't do their uniforms any justice at all, does it?

Actually, Garfield had a theme show back in, I think, 1971.......

I have a contest program dated June 19, 1971. Page 27 headline reads 'The Cadets of Garfield present America the Brave - 1776'. Top half of the page is a photo, the bottom half is the libretto :smile:

I wonder if 1972 Alberta All Girls Drum and Bugle Band were the first drum corps to tour Europe. I wonder if I was the first female drum major in southern Ontario conducting a co-ed corps in 1972 :wink: