Sevierville, Tn Review

OK, really long review, more of a synopsis.

Some memories 1st off. Ober Gatlinburg, 4.8 miles to McDonald's, How do we get to the middle of nowhere?, Taking 7 hrs to find the show site and getting lost in Sevierville & Pigeon Forge.

PS, Sorry it took so long, I got back to my house at 5:30am and then had to move out of my apt. at school.

Ok, now that that stuff is taken care of...ON TO THE REVIEW!

Venue Info:

Very well planned out. Only kink was the parking lot filled up and we had to park across the street, but for free. No biggie though. All staff for event was very helpful and pleasant. Enough room to move about. This was my time to this site. Will more than likely return for years to come. Only complaint was traffic, but that wasn't their fault now was it?

Souvies:

Didn't get to browse since Hallberg and I were infashionably late.

Memphis Sound:

Missed the show.

Carolina Crown:

Missed the show.

Magic of Orlando:

Opening set starts with 2 blocks. One larger than the other divided by the side 2 25 yd line. On side 2 25 yd line, the entire hornline leaves it's horns and moves to 2 block form set. Guard is mingled throughout large block. Show starts with some alto solos each playing a different whole note on a whole note scale. Guard had these green rectangualr things that are mirrors on one said and green on another which are used to a limited scale, but still a nice effect. The corps has a good full sound, but was missing some impact. I feel that this problem could be fixed by adding more guard on flags rather than only 2 or 3 for a big hit by the brass & percussion. Nice opening.

"Abram's Pursuit." Guard moves to flags & rifles. Some nice battery licks by the percussion really keeps this piece moving, but I found this arrangement of "AP" to be somehwat choppy. just as I was getting into it, it chg'ed and kept doing so. No real melodic line could be heard from this piece. There is a passage which is played to the backfield which is used perfectly. Solos during this time are a little shakey, but hey, it's the 1st show, what's new? There were some attack problem throughout the ending statement, but again, early season/1st show jitters I think. Drill during ending statement was good.

"Easter Symphony." During the opener, I was distracted by the guard's abrupt chg'ing of equip. This was made even more obvious during this number. There were about 4 equip. chg's in a very short time. From short silver poles, to sabers, to rifes, to mixed weaspons and flags, to flags. Too busy for this piece.I found this part of the show to be rather boring and redudnant. Same melodical line throughout this segment and still lacking any real impacts. There is a lower brass feature which is really nic. The guard I am guessing is still being taught as little was done during this portion of the show. Remeber Spirit's 02 ending with the alto rips. Same thing for Magic's closer. maybe a little faster and drill really took off here ending in 2 company fronts.

Overall, I found this show boring. None of the songs really develop well. The percussion seemed to be the outstanding section for this corps. The guard stagging and equip. chg's were too distracting. <**>

Spirit:

To begin, I know there has been some rehashing of the guard uni's and that this probably won't be their uni for the summer, but I have to say that something just looked weird. The legs were just alittle too short. I am sure this will be fixed with the new uni's on the way for the guard?

Opener. Chimes & pit opening statement with tags from the brass to Auld Lang Syne & Time in a Bottle to the backfield. Turn & Impact. Very nice guard work during the push. Watch for all the time references. A clock, and hr glass, etc.

"Vertical Momentum." Very equip guard equip chg! Nice impacts by the brass and percussion. Blue flags compliment corps uni's. This piece really moves. Still in need of some cleaning, but we know they can do it. There was ont passage where the song gets pretty quiet, but the guard is on full flags. It was really distracting. I think maybe they shoul dhave added more members on flags as the gradually got louder. Wonderful lower brass sound.

"October." I noticed the guard was carrying white flags, but not doing any work, but Hallberg said that stuff will be added, so OK! Some nice small ensemble work. This piece really build and the drill by the corps really wrosk and adds to the intensity this piece has. Very dramatic ballad. Hornline demonstrated good control in a dynamic piece. Watch for the old school uni and the "Let It Be Me" Sop solo. Not much of an impact here, but I can already hear the cheers from the Atl & J'Ville shows, not to mention Champ's.

"Nutville" & "No Jive." b**bs Guard enters from back sideline with some additions to the uni's I didn't really understnad why, but it was fun for the piece. This is going to smoking soon - not that it isn't already. Everyone really gets to shine in this piece, especially the lower brass. Som fun percussion licks and then into a park & bark segement. The guard wasn't doing much here if I recall. You can tell that the kids have fun with this. I can't wait to see this at the J'Ville show next month!!!

Appalachian Morning." This piece really let's the guard shine. Recapitchulation of first big puch, but this time in company front with guard in front (and in back???) of corps. Watch again for the time references. Ntoce the guard moves up the hr glass. My only complaint to this show was the silent ending. I understand the whole time thing, but there just isn't enough there (now) for this kind of ending. Hopefully soon this show can grow even more and this silent ending will be perfect. We'll see.

Overall: The most outstanding section for this corps is the low brass followed closely by the percussion section. Most impressive!

Bluecoats:

Opener. Entire corps is setup in what I describe as a ying yang on its side - sorta looks liek the Pepsi ensignia. Some good and strong sop and bari solo. The guard is really smoking and does some tremenous work, but there were just a few drops, but this was fixed as the show went on. The corps has a great top to bottom sound. You really can hear each section clearly. The corps plays to the backfield, which works great and build to impact. Nice opening statement complimented again by the smoking guard work. there is a short percussion statement and the corps moves into a block where a guard member is captured (hence captrue and escape) in the center.

Ballad. Beings with a bario solo accompanied by the lower brass. Corps moves into another block form on side 2 and does some tango'ish moves. Really nice work visually. As I have mentioned about other corps though, when this corps is quiet, the guard is doing full flags and way too busy. It really distracted from the music. There are some nice guard pass throughs and then the corps makes their final statement for this number.

Closer. Begins with a percussion feature (I think?) The guard is on rifles and gold poles (think PR 96, but copperish) Awesome guard work to the percussion feature. The guard moves to the back and does some dance stuff in a place where it seems really out of context. The poles are replaced with flags. The poles were never really used to their full potnetial. Maybe more is to come? Big push in company front was nice, but the ending statement was musically weird. It was this weird rhythmic tag. Didn't do it for me. My only question was the show is entitled Capture & Escape, but the guard guy ends still captured in the corps block?

Overall: Very good show. Maybe better than last year's well received show. Most outstanding section is the guard. they were really together.

Cavies:

OK, so we've all put in our 2 cent about the guard's uni's :ramd: Here's my thought after seeing them live. They aren't so bad as you'd think, BUT I don't see why they couldn't have done something along the same idea, but without the biker reference. The number and knee pads just seemed silly to me, but we have like 1 million topics on that stuff.

Opener. The opening set is a + (plus sign) consisting of the brass and most guard with the percussion in 3 lines in the back. Why do they call the show Spin Cycle. Well the opening move is just that. 4 guys start rotating, then 8, then 12, etc. The most similar move was in PR 01 opening more, but not so ridig here. Very free flowing. It's great. They move into form (can't remember what) and then they are off. Not to mention the intense alto work. WOW! So you're still confused why they call the show Spin Cycle. Watch the opener and just try to coun all the spinning references. Too many. The guard spins, the percussion spins, the brass rotates. I was almost dizzy after the opener, but it was fun! The marching is nearly perfect - what else wold you expect from the Cavies?

Ballad. Abrupt guard off field for equip. chg to being ballad piece. You know that crazy run stuff the Cadets usually do? Well the Cavies do it here and it is pretty darn tight. The green flags didn't really work. Too much green on the field. Now they really are the green machine. Green grass, green uni's, green guard uni's and green flags. Too much I say. Watch the guard for this number. they have some remarkable work. They do a cart wheel (i told you they spin a lot!) with flag in hand. It has quite the impact. you could hear to "Oh's" from the crowd. Very powerful and typical Cavies ballad of late.

3rd Number. corps sitting on ground facing backfield. guard in front and percussion behind. guard & percussion moves though corps and individual member stand and play short staement (4-5 notes) I can't explain it, but then during a slightly restrained percussion feature, the brass moves from a block into a block in amazing fashion. It was way too complex to describe. Maybe after Monday. You though Madison & BD were the only corps with screaming sop's...you're wrong!

Closer. Another difficult to describe move with circles everywhere. Each section has a part to play. Sorta liek the chant thing rom last yr, but on horns rathe than vocalized. gets louder and more intense. Good response from crowd. The closing guard work is very together, very difficult, and very complimentary to the music. STANDING O!

Overall: I haven't really gotten into The Cavies shows since 00. I didn't really like the original music shows, but this year is different somehow? The sound more like the corps from 97-99 ( my fav yrs for them). Nice well balanced sound. This show also seems to be much more beatable than the ones in yrs past. While I may not have liked the shows, I realized that they were deserving of 1st place. Most outstanding section. Tie btwn percussion and guard. Brass sound seemed somewhat diminished from yrs past also. :huh:

Cadets:

You know they way the Cadets have entered the field in yrs past. Well guess what, they do it again this yr, but with a twist. Just when you think that they corps is going to start an on field warmup, WHAM! They are marching and playing and they are into "My Favorite Things". So they are playing and marching (quickly I might add) all while the guard is doing their typical pre show setup. Also, the announcer says "Are the judges ready? Drum Majors, is your corps ready". Corps still playing and now the drum major is actually directing too. Annoucner: "Cadets you may take they field" Too late, they already have! No salute or anything. Just Bang. Show started. I'll comment on this in another thread (it sorta make sense, but it's WAY TOO WEIRD FOR ME). <**>

"Fanfare & Allegro." Corps starts on side 1 20 (?) yd line and the contras being opening statement as the corps marches toward the 50. The altos play same statement only in new key and faster. Then the baris. Then the sop's Constantly getting louder and more aggressive. Corp moves to impact and guard adds to the impact. Some nice drill moves including some pass thoughs. The guard work in the circle is really awesome. Percussion break with some tight guard work into closer's statement with some amazing sop & alto licks.

"Malaguena." I was't sure if this corps could play this convincingly. Let me put all doubt aside, THEY CAN! :huh: Entire corps to backfield with sop solo - nice! Some other solos were struggling, but early season tend to do that. Remember that move in Madison 95 when they are all in a line and they move from being perpendicual to the sideline to being parallel to it. Well they Cadets do that too, but only like 12 counts. Got a good look right down the line, it looked pretty good too. There was one impact somehwere after that move and the guard wasn't complimenting the corps impact. I dunno. I'll try and find more on next viewing. Pit Stuff really added to this show and especially this piece. Now moving into percussion break. Watch the snares. He plays the solo laying down on the field. b**bs Guard work was tight and varied during the percussion feature. Park & Park section, but no guard work. Hmmm. What's going on here? Also question on the color of flags. Blue for Malaguena? Sop solos were good, but resrved. Standing O. looks like Hoppie got what he wanted, a fan's show. Standin O!

"Rocky Point Holiday." Remeber in yr's past when the Cadets had amazing alkto line. Theeeeeeey're baaaaack! b**bs It was clear that this piece had been worked on the least. Rough marching and even rougher playing. :huh: Drastic chg from the other numbers. But the tune is on it's way to being all there. Percussion really keeps this piece moving. Some great licks from the battery. Trademark Z pull and moves into a recap musically of show. Nice loud ending to a great show. Standing O #2!!!!

Overall: This show is fun and is directed at pleasing the crowd. You know how we have been asking why the Cadets have been stadning so much in recent shows? Well they are putting that to a stop this yr. Most outstanding section: Music & Brass. IMHO, The Cadets were louder than the Cavies, but the Cavies had a more full and rish sound.

Scenic City:

missed show.

Captions (IMO)

Brass: Cavies

Guard: Cavies

Percussion: Cadets

Marching: Cavies

Music: Cadets

Go to "Cadets' Opening" to learn more about...well...The Cadets' Openeing

Sean,you have an amazing memory.Thanks .We happened to be in Southern CA visiting my son and were able to catch the Norwalk show.Having seen the Cadets and Crossmen in concert and with that show plus the other reports of the early shows from the Mid-West (especially good news about Scouts), I think we are going to have a fabulous season of drum corps.BD and SCV were spectacular for a premier show.Blue Knights are very strong musically and the book will earn critical acclaim.Madarins are going to push a lot of the second tier with their entertaing show.Finally got to see Pacific Crest.They look great and have potential for top of second tier.By the way they had a very nice size crowd at Norwalk at $19 a pop yet

Frank

Great Review. I am glad you enjoyed your trip to my part of the country. And traffic is always like that in the Sevierville/Pigeon Forge area. Something about being the honneymoon capitol of the wolrd will do that. Plus this is the start of the summer vaction season and it is really crowded everywhere.