Drum Corps Repertoires 1980 vs. 2010

it's all in the arrangement. and the need for visual speed is the biggest issue in arrangements being as they are

• Like 3

"Through the Eyes of Love" is Film score. ("Ice Castles")

And "New Country" would be more Jazz than anything else.

But good work. And Jeff and NR_Ohio are both right.

• Like 2

Has anyone thought that it may be easier to get the performance rights to the classical pieces than anything newer?

Since 1980 we have seen a large increase in the number of composers who are NOT allowing their pieces to be used.

This could have a large inpact on why repertoires have changed.

• Like 1

Arrangement, visual speed, performance rights: These are all very good reasons. As I was watching the Super Bowl, I had this thought, and posted it on my facebook page:

"I'm glad to hear classical music backing up many of Super Bowl commercials. The contrast to Aguilera and Black Eyed Peas is almost funny, if not sad."

Seriously, are those "artists" the best we have going? No wonder classical/orchestral music is safe for awhile. Popular music seems to be designed for "listening to whilst doing something else." The music itself is almost always secondary to the marketability of the front person.

• Like 1

I think the greatest difference between 1980 and 2010 is the varied musical selections in each show. Look at Bridgemen, orginally written in 1910 classical opener, into Funk Jazz Fusion drum solo, (please check out the orginal by Weather Report) Then an Earth Wind and Fire song followed by band band music and finally a civil war medly. The only them there is have fun and listen to some good music.

Bluecoats, Theme Metropolis The future is now - 160bpm from Angels and Demons, AHA! by Imogen Heap, Metropolis by doug Thrower and finally Asphalt Cocktail

I understand that musical taste change but I found many of my favorite pieces of music listening to drum corps. Theres been very few over the past decade that has fallen into that catagory with Asphalt Cocktail being one of them.

I think theres to much reach to fit a theme then entertain an audience.

Funny I found their show to be very entertaining and it introduced me to a song I had never heard. I downloaded AHA from Itunes and love it everytime I listen to it.

it's all in the arrangement. and the need for visual speed is the biggest issue in arrangements being as they are

Jeff, arrangement is a different consideration than genre, especially if, as you and Lance seem to prefer, the arranger

stays true to the original source music. You simply cannot stay true to Shostakovich and sound like Earth, Wind,

and Fire. They are different genres that express different things in different ways.

Nor is the issue the superiority of one genre over another. Any genre can be done with depth and sophistication. The

issue is the homogeneity of musical styles that one has to endure over the course a 2-3 hour drum corps show. From

this perspective, genre matters. It is like watching Casablanca, and every role is played by Humphrey Bogart.

But kudos to the Cavaliers for putting out a true multi-genre show last year. And interestingly, all of the top three

corps last year strayed outside of the classical/symphonic box. So maybe the judges are looking for a little variety too.

I do believe we need a little more variety. But it really isn't the rep choices that bother me.

It is the arranging. Much arranging is done with visual ideas in mind.

Much of the problem is visual designers (or design teams in general) who feel like the corps always has to be moving. There always has to be motion. There can always be motion... but the corps can stand in one spot and do fun body movements... or my favorite.. stand there, play loud, let the guard do some spinning, and the drummers some drumming.

It doesn't have to be potato notes. How about just playing some really moving music. Whether it be jazz, classical, wind band stuff.

I feel like this is more of a problem outside of the top corps. And it holds a lot of these corps back. It held back the Crossmen in '09. The music was motionless so the drill was (now that I blame on the music arranger and pretty much him alone... since ALL of his marching arrangements have the same issue).

I just feel like corps need to take a step back. It's okay to standstill for an extended phrase. Bluecoats '08 anyone? Yeah! BD '09 when they were on the chairs jammin' out? GIVE ME MORE OF THAT BD!

I just don't see a huge problem with the rep being done now. I love the classics. I feel like we need some more from the jazz genre. But the Symphonic/Wind Literature has SO much variety in itself. I loved Phantom's show last year. Music I've never heard before that show. But it fits in that symphonic literature category.

I don't know. Just play music and arrange it in a way that will move me. It's a hard job to move the masses. I feel like designers just aren't working hard enough.

EDIT: OR are they working TOO hard???

Edited by kickhaltsforlife
  • Like 1

I do believe we need a little more variety. But it really isn't the rep choices that bother me.

It is the arranging. Much arranging is done with visual ideas in mind.

Since this is an activity of music and movement, IMO both should always think of each other.

• Like 1

Jeff, arrangement is a different consideration than genre, especially if, as you and Lance seem to prefer, the arranger

stays true to the original source music. You simply cannot stay true to Shostakovich and sound like Earth, Wind,

and Fire. They are different genres that express different things in different ways.

where did I say that hey had stay 100% true to the original? I didn't. if they want to delve off into new explorations of the original fine...just give us complete musical thoughts, not a snippet of melody rushing to the power chord that is played not marching with the requisite body work underneath.

Nor is the issue the superiority of one genre over another. Any genre can be done with depth and sophistication. The

issue is the homogeneity of musical styles that one has to endure over the course a 2-3 hour drum corps show. From

this perspective, genre matters. It is like watching Casablanca, and every role is played by Humphrey Bogart.

But kudos to the Cavaliers for putting out a true multi-genre show last year. And interestingly, all of the top three

corps last year strayed outside of the classical/symphonic box. So maybe the judges are looking for a little variety too.

and they key to cavies appeal last year.........

the arrangement