General Putnam's Men

GPM

That's '81. You can tell from the opener "Carnival Overture" and the DM uniform. Thanks for posting (I had asked for a video of this show a few posts below).

You Are the Sunshine of My Life...a year before the big corps played it!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to undergrad (BG) with more than a few kids who marched GPM.

Just everyday kids from Northwest Oho marching in their local drumcorps. But let me tell you, they could put on a show! I miss those days. 1981 was the last year they fielded and in 82 there were GPM kids that I know of at Madison (Nick), 27 (Chris and Carolyn), Memphis (Dizzy) and a slew of kids marching Troop.

Edited by MikeinCMH

That's '81. You can tell from the opener "Carnival Overture" and the DM uniform. Thanks for posting (I had asked for a video of this show a few posts below).

Still looking for an '82 Kilt video.

Hear, hear. There are folks here on the forum who enjoyed the good fortune to have marched in one, or many, finals competitions, or to have won it all, or to have taken high this, that or the other - and all due respect to them for their accomplishments and the amazing ride that was their visit to the pantheon.

But for the thousands of kids who played out their drum corps careers in the obscurity of the lower tiers and, for whatever reason, never had the chance to grab the brass ring, GPM's simple statement speaks volumes. To have worked hard and had a great time in the process is a most worthy accomplishment, at any level of achievement, in any field of endeavor.

Peace,

Fred O.

Well, if you remember correctly, we were very competitive in our own circuit and level. We won our first show out in Frankenmuth, MI, defeating the reigning Class A champs and several other top competitors. It just did not hold through the season. We came in 12th place at DCI in Montreal. Because the All girl corps out scored the Class A corps, six of each were taken into finals, bumping us out of a finals spot. Our management had also failed to have us registered properly and we were first on the field in prelims. No announcer and I am not sure if the judging panel was intact.

The hornline played "Big Spender" and wore big suspenders.

Big red sparkly ones. The only corps pic I have, Brice Musser decided to take in that stupid A@@ uniform.

I went to undergrad (BG) with more than a few kids who marched GPM.

Just everyday kids from Northwest Oho marching in their local drumcorps. But let me tell you, they could put on a show! I miss those days. 1981 was the last year they fielded and in 82 there were GPM kids that I know of at Madison (Nick), 27 (Chris and Carolyn), Memphis (Dizzy) and a slew of kids marching Troop.

and a couple in the Kilts (Dale and Jim).

Edited by BigDale

I am sure there are other corps as well I just mentioned the kids that I knew. :) I believe that I have a few pics of GPM (Putt-Putt as we called you) from the 1981 US Open. I will try to get them up here.

Three came to Glassmen first (Dale, Jim and Greg). We were finally harassed so much we quit. That summer I had learned GPM's show, learned Glassmen's show and went on to learn the Kilts show to be ready for DCM. Standing there at one of those early shows, in that stupid looking Glassmen uniform, with two kilted corps on either side was just too much! We were little country kids for the most part and were only beat by Glassmen late in the '81 season, much to our surprise too!

General Putnam's Men Drum & Bugle Corp

General Putnam's Men was founded in the spring of 1975 by Dr. Brice Musser. The corps was established in Ottawa, Ohio, which is in Putnam county. The county and corp were named after Revolutionary War general, Israel Putnam. Gong with that theme and with the approach of the bicentennial, the corps uniforms were based on colonial costumes; knickers and vests with tri-corner hats.

In the beginning the corps took boys with little or no training and completely taught them. The corps first year was spent as a parade unit. In 1976 they began competing in class A. In 1978 they added girls to the corps.

The corps traveled and competed primarily in Ohio, Michigan, and Ontario. In 1979 the corps made class A finals at the U.S. Open, the highest achievement of the corps at the time. In 1980, the corps traveled to New York state to complete in Drum Corps East. In 1981 the corps made its only appearance at DCI finals week placing 12 in class A.

In the spring of 1982, due to financial considerations, the director and staff made the difficult decision not to continue the corps.

Shawn C. McDowell (11/30/2004)

Contra, 79

Staff member, 80 and 81