The DCI rule book

We all scream about wanting more of the "OLD DAYS " how about members be members , designers be designers, directors be directors, parents just fundraise ,alumni support your corps and SPECTATORS BE SPECTATORS :rolleyes: lol

Spectators be spectators? Name one business, especially a competitive activity focused on audiences where the audience doesnt get basic info about the direction of that activity. Most drum corps (and dci) are incredibly closed-off to outside information, from the secrecy around uniforms, show designs, etc, to basic competitive components such as the rulebook and scoring sheets. Hell, its easier to get inside information about multi-million dollar athletic programs (where keeping info private actually has some big financial benefits) than it is most drum corps.

• Like 3

Spectators be spectators? Name one business, especially a competitive activity focused on audiences where the audience doesnt get basic info about the direction of that activity. Most drum corps (and dci) are incredibly closed-off to outside information, from the secrecy around uniforms, show designs, etc, to basic competitive components such as the rulebook and scoring sheets. Hell, its easier to get inside information about multi-million dollar athletic programs (where keeping info private actually has some big financial benefits) than it is most drum corps.

All I'm saying is gone are the days spectators just went and enjoyed, or not.....Everyone has to be the designers , and know more about running corps than the directos and of course have all the answers to where the direction should go. :lookaround:

• Like 1

All I'm saying is gone are the days spectators just went and enjoyed, or not.....Everyone has to be the designers , and know more about running corps than the directos and of course have all the answers to where the direction should go. :lookaround:

maybe knowing the rules would help people understand what DCI is going for and maybe make it more entertaining again.

WGI isn't shy about putting their info out there

maybe knowing the rules would help people understand what DCI is going for and maybe make it more entertaining again.

WGI isn't shy about putting their info out there

WGI only puts out publically what they want you to know..believe me on that 1....lots of dirty play there....anyway as far as their rule book i know directors recieve them after paying dues I'm not aware of the public having access. I've not been in the position of not having access so I'm not sure on that 1.

Also Jeff.I like you are all for education all the way around and so many feel at times there is nothing more to learn which is crazy or some other idea other than their own is trash.....more crazy.....but as far as entertainment I don't think knowing any rules chages if a person is entertained by something or not. Entertainment is a like or dislike, an emotional feeling . Personally I don't think knowing why someone judged something a certain way changes if I'm entertained or not. either I like it or I don't and don't really care what a select few with digital recorders think. JMO

...but as far as entertainment, I don't think knowing any rules changes whether a person is entertained by something or not. ... Personally I don't think knowing why someone judged something a certain way changes if I'm entertained or not. Either I like it or I don't and don't really care what a select few with digital recorders think.

If the opinions of the select few lead to more shows that you dislike, you might want to know why those select few hold those opinions.

I really do not think that the DCI rules actually lend themselves to having designers go in the direction of “Modus Caelestis” by Schwantner or “Ionization” by Varese; I think it is just personal taste by the current academic minded musicologists within the judging and design community in an attempt to progress the art form and educate the audience. Remember, this push for the esoteric progression was actually started by Star in 1993, and the idea to explore the esoteric has grown more accepted within the design and judging community since that show was performed. Also, if Star had not performed the you-know-what out of that show in 93, it would not have been such a Catalyst.

Edited by Stu

Also Jeff.I like you are all for education all the way around and so many feel at times there is nothing more to learn which is crazy or some other idea other than their own is trash.....more crazy.....but as far as entertainment I don't think knowing any rules chages if a person is entertained by something or not. Entertainment is a like or dislike, an emotional feeling . Personally I don't think knowing why someone judged something a certain way changes if I'm entertained or not. either I like it or I don't and don't really care what a select few with digital recorders think. JMO

I think if people actually understood the judging process and criteria, far less complaints about who won would happen.

maybe the guard side on WGI has a lot of dirty play, my experiences with WGI percussion has been 100% positive in every area.

• Like 2

I really do not think that the DCI rules actually lend themselves to having designers go in the direction of "Modus Caelestis" by Schwantner or "Ionization" by Varese; I think it is just personal taste by the current academic minded musicologists within the judging and design community in an attempt to progress the art form and educate the audience. Remember, this push for the esoteric progression was actually started by Star in 1993, and the idea to explore the esoteric has grown more accepted within the design and judging community since that show was performed.

the corps set the direction for the judging community. The judges dont make up the rules as they go along.

the corps set the direction for the judging community. The judges dont make up the rules as they go along.

Jeff: That was true up until around the new Millennium. Judges "used" to just evaluate the quality presented to them; now, many of the judges actually do view themselves a part of the design team. And if corps today do not adjust to the judge's "suggestions" of design improvement, the corps' run the risk of not progressing in score over the summer.