The DCI rule book

Jeff: That was true up until around the new Millennium. Judges "used" to just evaluate the quality presented to them; now, many of the judges actually do view themselves a part of the design team. And if corps today do not adjust to the judge's "suggestions" of design improvement, the corps' run the risk of not progressing in score over the summer.

since the advent of the build up system judges have felt like they were part of the design team. hell, it happened under the tick system.

But, while judges do suggest things, the criteria is set forth by the corps, which is DCI. Rules proposals, sheets proposals...all come from the corps.

since the advent of the build up system judges have felt like they were part of the design team. hell, it happened under the tick system.

But, while judges do suggest things, the criteria is set forth by the corps, which is DCI. Rules proposals, sheets proposals...all come from the corps.

True; the exact wording and criteria for the DCI rules is set forth by the WC corps' directors. And within those rules Judges for Brass, Percussion, and Guard are supposed to evaluate demand vs performance quality; and Music/Visual GE Judges are supposed to evaluate presentation vs performance quality. However, over the years Judges began taking on the role of "consultants" instead of Judges by telling the design teams that they need to change this, move that, alter the interpretation of the movement for the mid section, arrange the music differently going into the push, add some flare here, change the music there. The corps' which follow those "taste" suggestions score higher not on demand v performance or presentation v performance but on following the consultation tastes of the judges (and to me That is the main flaw in the current DCI judging system).

Edited by Stu

Ladies and Gents, I hold the secret:

They keep the rule book secret for the benefit of DCP.

Yes, that's right.

They keep it secret so we have more things to bicker about.

You give us rationale and we won't have sixteen pages of circular reasoning.

Be thankful.

• Like 3

Yes, that's right.

Be thankful.

I KNEW IT!!!

:ph34r:

Edited by 3rd Glasgow BB
  • Like 1

Yes, that's right.

Be thankful.

Now here I thought there wasn't a rule book and the BoD just throw dice from Drungeons & Dragons to decide the changes for the coming years. "Troll advances with amps... need a 15 or higher to succeed."

Funny part is I asked about rules years ago and Scribetoo took my head off saying I should buy the rule book if I wanted to know anything. Some people are still grumbling if people want to find the rules. :doh: Hey if you're interested in Drum Corps why not find all you can?

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

I tried several times over the last couple years to submit the online question form and never got an answer. The customer service representative told me the rule book is only available for order over the phone. I'm cool with that. Soon, I'll have all the answers!

To order: call DCI at (317) 275-1212, wait for the menu and press 1 for a representative, tell the representative you'd like to order the rule book, the representative will tell you that the rule book costs $35.00, and order the book. UPS ground shpping to my neck of the woods was $9.07, for a total of $44.07.

I tried several times over the last couple years to submit the online question form and never got an answer. The customer service representative told me the rule book is only available for order over the phone. I'm cool with that. Soon, I'll have all the answers!

To order: call DCI at (317) 275-1212, wait for the menu and press 1 for a representative, tell the representative you'd like to order the rule book, the representative will tell you that the rule book costs $35.00, and order the book. UPS ground shpping to my neck of the woods was $9.07, for a total of $44.07.

That sounds like a plan.

Thanks!

Spectators be spectators? Name one business, especially a competitive activity focused on audiences where the audience doesnt get basic info about the direction of that activity. Most drum corps (and dci) are incredibly closed-off to outside information, from the secrecy around uniforms, show designs, etc, to basic competitive components such as the rulebook and scoring sheets. Hell, its easier to get inside information about multi-million dollar athletic programs (where keeping info private actually has some big financial benefits) than it is most drum corps.

My advice:

If you really want to know more about a specific corps, by all means volunteer. Volunteer to work camps: you'll hear about show designs, see ensemble & sectional rehearsals, talk to director & staff, have the opportunity to ask the director any specific rules question you have, etc. Volunteer to run for a Board position of a local corps, where you'll be more privy to financial information.

You're entitlement as a spectator is to view a public performance. That's it: you're entitled to nothing more. If you want further, 'inside' information, then volunteer for a corps and learn practically anything you want.

You're right, it is easier to get information about multi-million dollar athletic programs: of public colleges or pro teams who are reported on largely via the freedom of information act. If drum corps were as popular as those sports, and were covered in the mainstream media, there might be more information. As it stands, you can find financial records of any of the drum corps, since they're non-profit. What you won't find, are head coaches sitting down with the media and laying out their game plan for winning the Super Bowl (as you're wanting, apparently, corps to lay out their design plans when right now it would be VERY easy for competitors to steal ideas).