Favorite Drum Corp Record

"Fave Drum Corps Record(s):

WAY too many GREAT albums to even TRY to "Pick Just One". The 1964 World Open is high on my list of "Outdoor" shows. EVERYBODY was "On Fire" that night and ALL the Finalists were very deserving of thrie "Night Show" placements. The contest was in Bridgeport CT's "Hedges Stadium" at Harding H.S.

"Concert Recordings" were also a staple of Fleetwoods early 1960's efforts and among the finest are the 1961 Hawthorne Caballeros "In Concert & Competition", and the "Brass By Night" album with four of the NYC juniors. Fleetwood's 1962 "An Evening with the Cops at Carnagie Hall" series were also really great.

Elphaba

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1969 Evening with the corps was awesome!!

When I first found drum corps I ordered some tapes from Mr Ken Kobold. I think I found an ad in an old issue of Drum Corps news my band director had. I ordered 76/77 Cadets and Guardsmen. Never knew why those corps. I liked the Guardsmen unis with the big shakos but Cadets are still a mystery. I know I wore the tape out listening to Seahawk.

1974 DCI Ithaca:

"From Hawthorne New Jersey, the Mucha....ROARRRRRRRRRRRR"

The most electric corps performance and electric crowd I can remember. I still get chills when I think about that recording.

BTW: The Purple Lancers received a ovation just a decibel or so lower than Hawthorne!

The crowd was LOUD for Purple Lancers when they were announced. "EAST, EAST,EAST", but before half-way thru their show the crowd was silent. Some people a few rows in front of us turned to us and yelled (and I'll never forget it), where's your Eastern crowd now. We were so embarassed, until Muchachos came out! Then the crowd went wild for the whole show (including those mid-west people in front of us).

This is the recording I've played the most (close 2nd is 64 DREAM - Jrs.)

For me Brass By Night...all neighborhood corps all good players.

the first favorite was the album with Hawthorne and Reilly.

1965 Royal Airs, Cavies, Kilties

1974 DCI Purple Lancers, Blue Devils, Kingsmen, Madison, SCV and of course Muchcachos

1975 Phoenix at DCA

1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994 Empire Statesmen

the first favorite was the album with Hawthorne and Reilly.

1965 Royal Airs, Cavies, Kilties

1974 DCI Purple Lancers, Blue Devils, Kingsmen, Madison, SCV and of course Muchcachos

1975 Phoenix at DCA

1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994 Empire Statesmen

75 Phoenix !! I am a huge fan of them and what they accomplished

• 4 weeks later...

My favorite was "State of the Art" for 1979 with BD. This was an early, I believe, March recording which just blew my doors off! I remember having our high school band director ( an absolute hater of anything drumcorps) listen to this and he loved it (until we let him know it was drumcorps)! What an ###!