Favorite Drum Corp Record

My favorite junior corps albums of all time: 1969 Shriners International, Volume One:

• Kilties
  • Boston's Articulate Crusaders,
  • Mighty St. Joe's
  • Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights

My favorite renditions of musical program of the Crusaders and Sac.

It captures four different slices of Ol' Skool fine drum corps programming, style and artistry of the end of that decade. In particular, this was the zenith of the Ed Denon era with BAC; his highwater mark as a music man.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was in the Army stationed in Germany....Ken sent me the recordings I requested a price on and did not charge me. He was a wonderful man and I wish he was still around so I can buy those recordings again as mine were lost or ruined.

When I first found drum corps I ordered some tapes from Mr Ken Kobold. I think I found an ad in an old issue of Drum Corps news my band director had. I ordered 76/77 Cadets and Guardsmen. Never knew why those corps. I liked the Guardsmen unis with the big shakos but Cadets are still a mystery. I know I wore the tape out listening to Seahawk.

• 1 month later...

the first favorite was the album with Hawthorne and Reilly.

1965 Royal Airs, Cavies, Kilties

1974 DCI Purple Lancers, Blue Devils, Kingsmen, Madison, SCV and of course Muchcachos

1975 Phoenix at DCA

1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994 Empire Statesmen

I don't know which recording you are referring to in '65 but if it's the VFW Nationals recording by Fleetwood in McCormick Place, then you've got my vote. Cavaliers were awesome and given the technology of almost 50 years ago) my favorite of all time.

I don't care which year you choose - ANY Evening with the corps recording has to be mentioned if you are a certain age. :worthy: I forgive you if you weren't alive during those years and I gotta say that if DCI really wants to build a following a night of indoor playing at Madison Square Garden's Felt Forum would do a lot to bring Drum Corp back to the East where it belongs. (sorry for the editorial)

World Open: '71 for sure but the Kilties and (yes!) :bigsmile: the Brassmen in '72 pretty much kicked it up a notch.

'91 & 93 both Phantom and Star Of Indiana made some of the best sounding shows ever recorded (taped / digitally captured) I've said it before but it bares repeating on this thread Star's The Music of Barber and Bartok show will never be topped for it's in your face verve and technical executional superiority ... any time, any where, by anybody ... and I've been waiting :exclamation:

Oh yeah, there are many, many Dream shows that are darn good - something about that place made good better and great even greater!

Puppet

Edited by Puppet

My favorite was "State of the Art" for 1979 with BD. This was an early, I believe, March recording which just blew my doors off! I remember having our high school band director ( an absolute hater of anything drumcorps) listen to this and he loved it (until we let him know it was drumcorps)! What an ###!

I bought this record at the 1980 DCI championships in Birmingham, and listened to it that night. Today I listened to it for the second time. This could have been the best ever. The performances are stunning, but the recording is second rate. Generally, it is the echo that destroys this recording for me. It sounds as if they put the corps in a big shower room. Sounds get muddled and indistinct, especially in the low brass and bass drums. Maybe the Concord pavilion was the wrong venue, or microphones were placed wrong. Who knows. But I can't listen to it without thinking of how much better it could have been. Anyway, I do understand about band directors. I almost got kicked out of my HS band for marching DC.

My list:

1. Hawthorne Cabs standstill recording done by Fleetwood in I think 1961 or 1962, with their 1961 field performance on side B. This record introduced me to state-of-the-art DC, and listening to it you understand why the Cabs were the best. Great soloists and enough standards to make the Beatles jealous.

2. 1965 VFW Championships, McCormick Place, Chicago. This is the only instance that I can think of where a national championship was held indoors, on a hard service (tile over concrete as I remember). Some of the best performances you will ever here from most of the Corps, especially the Royal Airs, Kilts, and Cavies. A seminal show.

3. 1972 DCI championships. I think this is one of the best quality DC recordings ever made. Too bad you can't get the LP version anymore.

Two recordings stick out as my favorites. One is a 1968 recording of Troopers, Des Plaines Vanguard, DeLaSalle Oaklands, and the Toronto Optimists at CNE Statdium in Toronto. North American Invitational sound familiar? The overhang of the stadium caught a lot of the sound and made the corps sound as if they were in a recording studio. Troop, Vanguard and DeLaSalle were really good!

Another favorite is a preview album DCI produced before the start of the 1972 season. I think we have two volumes with Santa Clara, Blue Stars, Madison, DeLaSalle, Boston, among others. All the corps are quite good, especially considering the recordings were probably done in the March-April time frame. Del was the real surprise of the group. Screamers for days during Channel One. They really sounded ready. Given what I heard then, I always wondered why they didn't finish higher that August. They sure sounded finalist caliber to me.

Two recordings stick out as my favorites. One is a 1968 recording of Troopers, Des Plaines Vanguard, DeLaSalle Oaklands, and the Toronto Optimists at CNE Statdium in Toronto. North American Invitational sound familiar? The overhang of the stadium caught a lot of the sound and made the corps sound as if they were in a recording studio. Troop, Vanguard and DeLaSalle were really good!

Another favorite is a preview album DCI produced before the start of the 1972 season. I think we have two volumes with Santa Clara, Blue Stars, Madison, DeLaSalle, Boston, among others. All the corps are quite good, especially considering the recordings were probably done in the March-April time frame. Del was the real surprise of the group. Screamers for days during Channel One. They really sounded ready. Given what I heard then, I always wondered why they didn't finish higher that August. They sure sounded finalist caliber to me.

I know that the Cavaliers "pre-season" recording that year was actually done after the season had begun, but still very early in the season. Most of the corps (as the Cavaliers did) recorded these sessions in standstill, arched-up horn line formation with several mics set up appropriately for sound balance. That's part of reason the recording sounded so good. You'll note that 27th Lancers' performance is at an early season show (on the field, not at standstill). We (Cavaliers) did several "takes" of different songs in order to get the quality as good as possible. I understand most others did it this way too, though probably not all.

One of my favorites is Bugles Up 4 All time greats Kevins Sac Cavies Garfield. Listen close to Kevins at the dream probably 30,000 fans at Roosevelt Stad NJ '59 ,Recording you can hear the crowd shouting for Wally ,DM before he does his sit spin to bring up the horns in the OTL. I saw him do this a short while later , he knew how to work the crowd! I have both Stereo and Mono. Stereo has much greater depth. Cavies and Sac are both great . Another favorite is 61 VFW .Great acoustics Vol #1 ,all corps are phenom. Black Knights vol2 Sherwood Forest. strangest concert ever and excellant, they must have had lovers in the stands as you can hear the ladies in the stands swoon for "It had to be you" ,soloist. Brass by Night Queensmen are clean as a whistle that year they beat Sac And Garfied which was an accomplisment. Check out Hightowers solos on Bari. Seldens Poinciana rocks ,they were recorded at the Hills supermarket parking lot in Oct 61 Heard them from my house close to 1 mile away! Hey how about Seniors, Cabs 61' Skys, Portrait in Brass check out the solos on side two superb. I dont believe that was ever done again all these on GD bugles. For a change try 69 Fresh air Fanfare . GF bugles ,very clean recording awsome acoustic sound for this opening season at Hamden Ct. Favorite is Suns dynamic horn repetoire most likely John Sassos arrangements. and rough but absolutly rockin drum line. Yankee Rebels Never My Love closer played with expression I never forgot. Sorry, Just a few...

I know that the Cavaliers "pre-season" recording that year was actually done after the season had begun, but still very early in the season. Most of the corps (as the Cavaliers did) recorded these sessions in standstill, arched-up horn line formation with several mics set up appropriately for sound balance. That's part of reason the recording sounded so good. You'll note that 27th Lancers' performance is at an early season show (on the field, not at standstill). We (Cavaliers) did several "takes" of different songs in order to get the quality as good as possible. I understand most others did it this way too, though probably not all.

I don't remember this album, but would like to own it. Anyone know the exact name of it?

1964 Dream-the ovation at the end of St. Kevin's show is astounding! One of the penultimate moments in drum corps.

1965 New York State American Legion Championships on Fleetwood. Roaring from the depths of old War Memorial Stadium on Buffalo are some mighty fine sounds from St. Joseph's of Batavia, Utica's Magnificent Yankees, Rochester Crusaders, and Syracuse Brigadiers.

St. Joe's delivered a real blockbuster performance. Check out the lead sopranos giving a clinic in old time G bugling and some very tasteful and refined french horn solo work. The drumming is an absolute masterwork of spirited rudimental work delivered at some breakneck tempos.

The Utica Yankees played a demanding book and put on display some impressive bugling talent. I always felt that this was an under rated corps. I always loved their jazz renditions.

Rochester Crusaders were the merger super corps that year and on this recording demonstrate some of the momentum which would carry them to their first American Legion national championship that August.

Syracuse Brigadiers had some sparkling bugle work and a lively and interest repertoire. They had a unique and refreshing sound.

2. 1965 VFW Championships, McCormick Place, Chicago. This is the only instance that I can think of where a national championship was held indoors, on a hard service (tile over concrete as I remember). Some of the best performances you will ever here from most of the Corps, especially the Royal Airs, Kilts, and Cavies. A seminal show.

Atlantic City ... 1957 ... AL Nats ... Holy Name edges the Bon Bons ... not sure if there are any audio recordings ...

:-)