Will thunderous goo become less of a problem?

Poll  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Will thunderous goo become less of a problem in the coming years?

• Yes
    • No

Surveys can be great or mean nothing at all...only as good as the ones filling them out.

I've been involved in political surverys alot and it usually wasn't very accurate and for sure only told a small part of the story. Oh well, it gets some people heard I suppose. :smile:

those same people also pointed out they are already tired of Indy and programming is turning them off and they aren't spending as much on DCI as a result.

I'd say the surveys are pretty good

Are we talking about using amplified low end in general, or the mix of the amplified low end? I don't think it's going away, but I do think the mix/balance will improve. I can't imagine that staffs would listen to the APDs from this past year in Indy and say, "Yeah... that sounds good. Let's keep doing that."

I agree that judges need to get involved, but I don't think corps are going to purposefully go super gooey for the sake of going super gooey and #####ing judges out for docking them.

I'm on optimist in that I feel most of the corps out there want to sound good.

amping and electronics isn't going away, so it's all about the mix. However, the corps that risked a DQ last year mixing off of the field was one of the worst offenders.

But the staffs have been continuing it. Listen to the 09 cd's. Part of the problem is that you're in an enclosed stadium. All year, except for SA and Atlanta, they're outside. Then for the biggest week of the year, they're inside. That's a huge difference. It's not like WGi where you're always inside, you just have to adjust to the venue. You're still inside.

and no judge has been booted yet. Why? because everyone tip toes around the elephant in the room.

then again, my band was at a show in a circuit they normally do not compete in, and they were encouraged to be even more electronic. In fact, one judge even told us to blow the budget on the stuff.

I don't expect us to go back there any time soon

Edited by Jeff Ream

I hear this point of view expressed a lot here but don't understand it. Someone help me out. Is there anything fundamentally wrong with drum corps and band becoming more alike in the abstract? Say for instance in the 70s and 80s, high school bands succeeded in emulating drum corps more profoudly, would we be complaining about that? Or is it just electronics in the 21st Century that's at issue?

HH

to many fans, they liked drum corps because in many ways, it was different. Most fans could give a rats ### about the tour, the life on the bus. They want to go to shows to be entertained. if marching band was so popular, show me a show that draws the crowds DCI gets now, let alone what it used to get. I'm talking paid, not kids who didn't make finals filling up the outside sections.

Many of the world's most successful products are virtually indistinguishable in the fundamentals of the product. Coke and Pepsi are distringuished primarily by their marketing. Mercedes vs. BMW. McDonalds' vs. Burger King vs. Wendy's. Or going back to the heyday of drum corps - NFL vs. AFL.

We might have an opinion on the quality of or preference for one or the other. I mean, who in his right mind wouldn't think McDonald's fries are best? But all three sell hamburgers and fries the way drum corps and band sell music and marching. And there's not a thing in the world wrong with it. Nor is there anything wrong with us liking drum corps more than substantially similar marching band, particularly when we think one is more excellent than the other.

HH - might be having McDonald's for lunch

yet many drum corps fans don't go to band shows, and traditionally never have like they would for drum corps.

I love low end synth when done well - see Crown 2009, Cadets 2010 (at times), SCV 2009-2010, BD 2009.

Also, many BOA bands integrate the synth fantastically - I wish more corps would pick up on this. PCEP 1999 comes to mind immediately.

shame is, many of those corps mentioned sound like #### on the cd because of the low end overpowering everything

/agree

Marching band has a revolving door of fans. They can change whatever they want, and as long as they have kids marching, parents will go watch.

Drum corps? not so much...

actually, DCI is getting more like that. As they keep getting in new kids and new parents, old ones leave and don't have around like generations past did.

Band emulating drum corps isn't a problem...drum corps emulating band is. In the 70's, marching band was changing to be more like drum corps. Drum corps wasn't changing to become more like marching band. Marching band was decidedly "inferior" in the 70's, so in no way did drum corps want or need to emulate marching band.

Today, the gap in talent is much smaller, but drum corps is still superior. Why on earth would you want to emulate something that's still "inferior"?

Electronics is just the current problem to argue about. 10 years ago, it was G/Bb. Lately, it's been electronics. In a few years, it will be woodwinds. Each element is bringing drum corps down to marching bands level. Yes...bringing it down.

:worthy: