Will thunderous goo become less of a problem?

Poll  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Will thunderous goo become less of a problem in the coming years?

• Yes
    • No

Why would they EVER do such a thing. It would be like saying that at one show there are no trumpets allowed, or no snares.

Im sure that around half the people in this thread asked themselves "Why would the EVER do such a thing?" about allowing it in the first place.

Why would they EVER do such a thing. It would be like saying that at one show there are no trumpets allowed, or no snares.

Ok, how about a day show...no electricity involved...but you can set up the amps and synth if you want.

Are you people still talking? :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Of course they think its an issue. Why else would they discuss a rule change proposal about it?

yeah they think it's an issue. and the one time a corps risked a DQ to do what is now the new rule resulted in their worst balance of the weekend. man if that doesn't seel you on the fix this will provide :rolleyes:

How can someone so IN to drum corps find it so hard to be positive about it?

Are things really that bad?

Most of you kiddies just don't get it.

Yes, to the majority of us T-Rex's, Raptor's and Brontosaurus's, things really are that bad. Something we used to love watching and/or participating in has changed into something that we don't. We have seen it from the 70's (And some before that) on up to the present, all first hand in the flesh. Most of you kids weren't even in existence in the 70's and 80's, so all "yall" have to go on for comparison are tapes and dvd's.

Believe me, if you weren't there in person, you have no idea what a great G Bugle hornline blasting out some of those Drum Corps classic songs were like. Shows were more music oriented back then. They were more "Concerts in motion." Any cool drill moves were just considered Lagniappe. (A little something extra) We were there for Park and Bark, Squat and Blow, great Guard work and drum solos. Didn't NEED wretched excess pits, amps, synths, voice, themed story telling and 11 minutes of non-stop fast tempo drill while playing mostly unrecognizable musical phrases.

It's just NOT entertaining TO US any longer. Get it............

• Like 3

Yes, to the majority of us T-Rex's, Raptor's and Brontosaurus's, things really are that bad. Something we used to love watching and/or participating in has changed into something that we don't. We have seen it from the 70's (And some before that) on up to the present, all first hand in the flesh. Most of you kids weren't even in existence in the 70's and 80's, so all "yall" have to go on for comparison are tapes and dvd's.

Believe me, if you weren't there in person, you have no idea what a great G Bugle hornline blasting out some of those Drum Corps classic songs were like. Shows were more music oriented back then. They were more "Concerts in motion." Any cool drill moves were just considered Lagniappe. (A little something extra) We were there for Park and Bark, Squat and Blow, great Guard work and drum solos. Didn't NEED wretched excess pits, amps, synths, voice, themed story telling and 11 minutes of non-stop fast tempo drill while playing mostly unrecognizable musical phrases.

Fair enough. Don't go to shows. Don't follow the activity. No one is forcing you.

The quote of mine you referenced was directed to people who DO still love the activity (or at least claim to), but seem to focus primarily on the negative. If you don't find anything redeeming in today's drum corps whatsoever, I wasn't talking to you. I'm well aware that it's different from back in the 70s. Wouldn't even need to have seen or listened to anything from back then to figure that out. Just about everything in this world is different from what it was 40 years ago.

... Crazy, I know.

• Like 2

Fair enough. Don't go to shows. Don't follow the activity. No one is forcing you.

The quote of mine you referenced was directed to people who DO still love the activity (or at least claim to), but seem to focus primarily on the negative. If you don't find anything redeeming in today's drum corps whatsoever, I wasn't talking to you. I'm well aware that it's different from back in the 70s. Wouldn't even need to have seen or listened to anything from back then to figure that out. Just about everything in this world is different from what it was 40 years ago.

... Crazy, I know.

Talk about negative...yeah, they don't need your money..don't go. :rolleyes:

I would like to point out the different does not always = better. The mere fact drum corps is still around is a single enough redeeming factor in my book. In the last 11 years the changes in current from corps (as we know it) are so great and sweeping to the activity that it is becoming less drum corps ever year. The changes being made every year smack of desperation..and less on thought and marketing a distinctive, competitive product that is entertaining to the masses.

What would impress people more:

a) Synth player presses a key, cranks amp up to 11 and parts the stands.

b) 20 Tuba players, play their rear ends off..and remove that key from the synth with the sound and energy they are projecting.

• Like 1

What would impress people more:

b) 20 Tuba players, play their rear ends off..and remove that key from the synth with the sound and energy they are projecting.

and...

c) 20 Tuba players, play their rear ends off... and a well balanced synthesizer blends and enhances the overall sound and energy they are projecting.

Because you gotta have that third option.

• Like 2

Yes, to the majority of us T-Rex's, Raptor's and Brontosaurus's, things really are that bad.

Feel free to speak for yourself, but don't try and make your POV mean more than that...it is your opinion.

To this Bronto things are far form being "that bad"...in fact, IMO show design and performances are the best there have ever been.

People thought things were "that bad" in 1971...some thought things were "that bad" in 1976...or early 60's...or...pick a year.

Something we used to love watching and/or participating in has changed into something that we don't. We have seen it from the 70's (And some before that) on up to the present, all first hand in the flesh. Most of you kids weren't even in existence in the 70's and 80's, so all "yall" have to go on for comparison are tapes and dvd's.

I was there in person...one of those before the 70's people. Sure, there were some great corps back then. In my area, Blessed Sac year in and year out...Garfield, St Lucy's...Blue Rock...2-7, Boston...lots of wonderful corps.

Cool drill became far more than 'extra' just before DCI. Designers like Bobby Hoffman and Pete Emmons revolutionized drill. Our peace sign starting in 70...the splitting of our corps into the Colonials and British in 1971...drills like these were as big a factor in our shows as the music. The Troopers sunburst is another...I still remember Blue Rock's center wheel to get their corps off the field in their 1971 closer, Requiem for the Masses. Through the 70's guards did more and more and became critical to the success of corps like 27th and North Star, among others. A big part of the attraction of Bayonne was visually oriented. 27th's wheel in Danny Boy...the guard laying down and the horns stepping over them. Lots of other visual moves were far more than 'extra'.

OTOH...as for the music there were lots of terrible corps bleating out lame versions of pop and show tunes and the 1,000,000th version of Battle Hymn.

Again, speak for yourself.

• Like 2

Talk about negative...yeah, they don't need your money..don't go. :rolleyes:

Or go then. Spend money on something you no longer enjoy. Is that any less negative?

Sorry, but drum corps will never be (and I'd bet has never BEEN) everything to everyone. Folks will always have something they don't like about or wish was different/better/etc. LSU Grad doesn't seem to find them entertaining at all. So....

I would like to point out the different does not always = better. The mere fact drum corps is still around is a single enough redeeming factor in my book. In the last 11 years the changes in current from corps (as we know it) are so great and sweeping to the activity that it is becoming less drum corps ever year. The changes being made every year smack of desperation..and less on thought and marketing a distinctive, competitive product that is entertaining to the masses.

Never said that different is better. it's a matter of taste though. Likes/dislikes.

What would impress people you* (fixed as I don't portend to speak for anyone other than myself) more:

B