Crusaders choose Jupiter/Mapex/Majestic

It has been said many times before, but I will say it again. It is not the instrument which makes the performer, but the performer makes the instrument. This applies to the vast majority of instruments short of obviously flawed design.

I completely understand what you are saying, but at the same time...

You can't tell me (when just considering the hornline) that Phantom '09 and '10 were at the same level as '07 and '08. I'm not talking about the talent. I'm not talking about placement. I'm not talking about the brass book. I'm talking literally about the sound. The king mello. You can't beat it. Wait till you hear the Blue Stars mello line this summer. It just won't be the same.

Yes, Jupiter has come a long way, but not enough to equip 3 of the top 10 hornlines.

• Like 3

I think you get what you pay for, and i'd much rather spend the extra money and get something that will last.

I don't know a whole lot about Jupiter's horns as I'm a percussion guy, and obviously Mapex is just getting started in the whole marching scene so its hard to really make a judgement call on that. However, as to your statement, I can tell you that I spent maybe half the money on my Mapex drum sets that I would have had to spend for similar sets from Yamaha or Pearl, and they have lasted me a long time. I squeeze those things in and out of my little 2 door hatchback on a daily basis gigging around town in soft cases, and they still look, and sound amazing. The hardware has also lasted much longer than anything else I've ever owned. All of this coupled with the fact that Mapex's service guys are always interested in feedback and suggestions, and do their best to make that feedback show up in their later models, and I would definitely consider their marching equipment. If they put as much energy into that side of the company that they do into their drum sets, the marching stuff should continue to improve and they will be the company to beat in a few years. High price doesn't always mean high quality. Just look at Pearl's marching hardware. Its a complete disaster.

I completely understand what you are saying, but at the same time...

You can't tell me (when just considering the hornline) that Phantom '09 and '10 were at the same level as '07 and '08. I'm not talking about the talent. I'm not talking about placement. I'm not talking about the brass book. I'm talking literally about the sound. The king mello. You can't beat it. Wait till you hear the Blue Stars mello line this summer. It just won't be the same.

Yes, Jupiter has come a long way, but not enough to equip 3 of the top 10 hornlines.

Plus, if those 3 have the same equipment, won't they sound the same...? :lookaround: Whatever happened to that "unique sound of ____ corps?"

I'm talking literally about the sound. The king mello. You can't beat it. Wait till you hear the Blue Stars mello line this summer.

You need to try a few more mellos. The King has a few issues of it's own. Curious to try the System Blue variant to see if they have been addressed. As to the Quantum Mello, yes there is some challenges. But let's be real, mello is a challenge unto itself. It is all about compromise and adaptation.

I know for a fact there are some mello-heads trying to work on some ideas to tame the Quantum Mello as we speak. Time will tell.

Plus, if those 3 have the same equipment, won't they sound the same...? :lookaround: Whatever happened to that "unique sound of ____ corps?"

Ahhhhh. No.

There are several factors other then equipment choice to creating a 'sound'. Hornline make-up, technique, and approach come formost to mind.

Boston has its own sound not the others.

I am not privy to the endorsement agreement which BAC signed. But, knowing the management in Boston-which I do-I am certain that the choices were made based on what was best for the drum corps, both financially, and in terms of support after the sale.

In my non-drum corps life, I am a manager at a new car dealership. Some of you guys here remind me of some of our customers.

"I ONLY drive Fords......"

"I ONLY drive Chevys....."

"I only drive Hondas...."

Guess what....they are all made well. The difference lies with the drivers.....

• Like 1