Cavaliers hornline

2002 was 8 years ago. not relevant.

Ignorance at its best. Maybe you should give that 'irrelevant' show another listen. Although I have not been a fan of the Cavies since 06, their 2002 show is one of my favorites to listen to. Have you heard the release in that ballad? You should go listen to the release in the ballad.

As previously mentioned, the last 5 years haven't done much for me. I do feel like they opened up some last year, but the brass book was far too dull. I thought they were lucky to get 2nd in brass last year.

• Like 1

Just my opinions....

I think the reputation of the Cavaliers' brass given here is exaggerated....in both directions. The lines of this past decade don't uniformly stand out quite as much to me as to some people (i.e. 2000 vs. 2001). Conversely, the 1990s brass sections were by no means "weak", unless failing to win captions as often as they did visually constitutes "weakness".

• Like 5

Their sound has been one of my favorites since the early 2000s. The only issues I've had were the arrangments and dynamics. Play more and play louder!

That said, I think 2010 was a great positive step forward for them and really look forward to what they put out on the field this year.

As far as sound level goes, they took a step in the right direction. They just sounded more confident.

I liked parts of the arrangements last summer, but as a whole, not so much. I liked 2008 more. And before that, 2004. Last year left me wanting in the brass section. I don't know why they got 2nd in brass. Obviously my opinions differ from the judges on finals night.

...which is fine.

How do you guys think the arranger and staff did compared to previous years?

I know people used to always complain about volume.. was this fixed?

Do you prefer the new or old?

Where do you predict them going in 2011?

Just haven't heard or seen much about the topic :)

IMHO, the answer is yes, the Cavies brass took a big step forward in 2010, after a few weak years.

But it took the percussion stepping forward as well to inch them towards the top.

If they do as well as 2010 in one of these captions, and improve the other again (toss up here), and all else is equal, they could win the Championship.

They are that close.

Which is not to say any of that will be easy. It won't be.

AJMHO

:-)

Last time I really enjoyed their brass sound was 04, and parts of 05. 06 they disappeared. And they are finally just getting back. 2010 was for sure an improvement over past years. It's still not big enough for me though. That might not be their style, but when they go on after BD and Phantom in 06.. it was like nothing. And it's been like that since then. I appreciate that they almost always play with good brass sounds, but go for it sometimes!! I felt that they did go for a bit this year, and I appreciated it. But it wasn't better than BD BC and Crown. And I'm speaking sound not how clean the line plays.

• Like 1

Just my opinions....

I think the reputation of the Cavaliers' brass given here is exaggerated....in both directions. The lines of this past decade don't uniformly stand out quite as much to me as to some people (i.e. 2000 vs. 2001). Conversely, the 1990s brass sections were by no means "weak", unless failing to win captions as often as they did visually constitutes "weakness".

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. The late 80s/early 90s Cavaliers brass lines were almost perennially "weak" (meaning poor quality as opposed to volume). Poor tone, bad ensemble balance, missed attacks, etc. You can listen to those shows and hear the mistakes pretty regularly. Comparatively, you figure from 1986-1992 The Cavaliers were Top 3 in six of those seven season, but they weren't Top 3 in brass until 1992 (3rd in brass, and still 0.6 behind Star).

1986: Corps 3rd, Percussion 5th, Visual 2nd, Effect 3rd, Brass 4th

1987: Corps 3rd, Percussion 5th, Visual 3rd, Effect 3rd, Brass 5th

1988: Corps 5th, Percussion 3rd, Visual 2nd, Effect 5th, Brass 6th

1989: Corps 3rd, Percussion 2nd, Visual 3rd, Effect 3rd, Brass 4th

1990: Corps 2nd, Percussion 2nd, Visual 3rd, Effect 1st, Brass 4th

1991: Corps 2nd, Percussion 1st, Visual 1st, Effect 3rd, Brass 4th

1992: Corps 1st, Percussion 1st, Visual 1st, Effect 2nd, Brass 3rd

When the same caption is your lowest scoring and lowest placing caption for six consecutive years, that's a sign that it's a weakness.

• Like 1

Maybe because the 2010 book was harder than anything the Cavies have tackled since 2004 (and possibly 2007/09), but I thought their brass sound was inferior to past versions of the decade (although still excellent overall). I heard a lot of overblowing, and seeing Cavies at semifinals sandwiched between BC and BD really revealed a difference in quality of sound. I strongly disagree with their 2nd place score in brass on finals, as I would have had them 5th (albeit neck and neck with Cadets/Crown). But I'm no judge, nor do I pretend to be one.

I would take a 2002-2006 hornline over 2010 any day. Just my preferences I guess, but I always thought the Cavies brass sound from that era was unique and made them stand out. But maybe SCV will take over in that department now, considering their new brass staff.

All my opinions of course.

Edited by Catan
  • Like 1

Maybe because the 2010 book was harder than anything the Cavies have tackled since 2004 (and possibly 2007/09), but I thought their brass sound was inferior to past versions of the decade (although still excellent overall). I heard a lot of overblowing, and seeing Cavies at semifinals sandwiched between BC and BD really revealed a difference in quality of sound. I strongly disagree with their 2nd place score in brass on finals, as I would have had them 5th (albeit neck and neck with Cadets/Crown). But I'm no judge, nor do I pretend to be one.

I would take a 2002-2006 hornline over 2010 any day. Just my preferences I guess, but I always thought the Cavies brass sound from that era was unique and made them stand out. But maybe SCV will take over in that department now, considering their new brass staff.

All my opinions of course.

When I think of the Cavaliers, I always think " Visual "... " Guard ".

This is where they've made their mark in my opinion since the late 80's.

So long as DCI rewards a weighted judging system toward the Visual and the Guard, over the Brass and Percussion, and the Cavs keep their Visual Staff designers in place, they'll remain a legitimate contender every year, imo.