Cavaliers hornline

2009 Bluecoats definitely had variety. Each piece was completely (COMPLETELY) different from the one before it.

IU? Yeah, I know a lot of people from IU. Also know a lot from UNT. And from a lot of other great schools across the country. It's not so uncommon to know people in corps who go to good music schools.

Sorry i should've been more specific.

Im sure there are corps that have players from good music schools, but how many do you know that actually come from conservatories?

they had atleast 7 during the 2002-2005 era, and only a handful during 2008.

Although, im sure every corps thinks they have the most talented players, so no point in arguing anymore

• Like 1

dont knock their staff that year. they were good. Their approach just wasnt what drum corps fans/judges wanted but they were good.

i dont know what corps you were looking at, but that corps was pretty clean in 2008. Much cleaner than the champions that year.

as far as cleanliness goes, they were 2nd only to Blue Devils. Phantom had no business winning, even with their epic ending.

BD owned them and so did the cavaliers.

Phantom 08 was the dirtiest championship show since cavaliers 2001

Totally agree with you....I thought Cavies had both BD and Phantom beat visually. IMO 2008 overall: BD 1st/Cavies 2nd/Phantom 3rd. LOVED Phantoms ending but agree that overall it is the dirtiest championship show of the decade as well as having the weakest guard of any recent championship shows.

Edited by GREENBLUE
  • Like 1

Im sure there are corps that have players from good music schools, but how many do you know that actually come from conservatories?

Although, im sure every corps thinks they have the most talented players, so no point in arguing anymore

This is the kind of talent Crown is attracting because of their unique (not so much with SCV and BlueStars following now) approach to the horn arc. Every corps has their conservatory players, and you better believe that top schools like IU, UNT, NEC, Eastman, and the like are sending kids all over, not just to the Cavies. I happen to know that a lot of UNT kids go to Cavies, Coats, and Phantom. Talent pool is no longer an excuse in the top 5, as there have been many corps with terrible talent pools to win brass and championships over the past ten years.

As for 2010 - I definitely think it was a step in the right direction. The musical book was boring, and not too too different from the typical cavies recipe (Hornline plays standing still, horns go down, cool visual thing happens, staggered attacks, horns go back down, huge visual impact moment built in to get a standing o, drum feature, staggered attacks, hornline plays a massive hit, horns go down for last cool visual thing, horns go back up for final hit moving and playing). That said, it was LIGHTYEARS better than the 2005-2009 era, and was reminiscent of the 03 line. I don't know how people can comment on the great or terrible brass sounds of 08 and 09 when they played for about 20% of the show.

Lets see em keep this up in 2011

• Like 1

2002 was 8 years ago. not relevant.

You just got, pwnd.

As for the Cavies mumbo jumbo.

I loved their sound in '09 and in '10. I think that they are on the right path for sure!!! I can personally predict them to be in the top 2. I'm hoping that they'll rise ahead of the Blue Devils.

We had players from conservatories in the bluecoats hornline back in the mid 80s when I marched.

• Like 1

The point here is that there is a lot of talent throughout drum corps. Talent is great, but as it has been said before, it takes more than just that to do great things.

i dont know what corps you were looking at, but that corps was pretty clean in 2008. Much cleaner than the champions that year.

as far as cleanliness goes, they were 2nd only to Blue Devils. Phantom had no business winning, even with their epic ending.

BD owned them and so did the cavaliers.

Phantom 08 was the dirtiest championship show since cavaliers 2001

Maybe visually, but certainly not musically. Phantom's overall musical package was LEAGUES better than anyone in DCI in 2008. Their brass was top notch (arguably could have been first), their percussion was arguably one of the best lines in DCI history (ridiculously hard book, super-duper clean) and their ensemble sound was terrific. Blue Devils were their equal in brass. No one else in DCI was even close to Phantom's quality in the other music captions. How they didn't get 20.0 in musical effect I'll never understand.

Visually? Yep, Phantom was weak. You can't compare scores from year to year, but spreads I think are more comparable. Phantom's visual was 0.65 behind the high visual score in 2008; going back to 1985 in recaps I don't see another championship corps that was more than 0.2 away from high visual. Then again, Phantom was 0.625 ahead of the 2nd place high music score, the biggest spread since 1997 Blue Devils (0.7 ahead of SCV in Mus Ens, Brass, & Perc).

I loved BOTH of the Top 2 shows in 2008. Phantom was musically strong, Blue Devils were visually strong. Being a musical guy, I liked Phantom better. MUSICALLY, I think Phantom was indeed one of the best shows in DCI history.

• Like 1

MUSICALLY, I think Phantom was indeed one of the best shows in DCI history.

I just don't get how anyone can say that. There were so many poor musical moments throughout Spartacus. They were nothing compared to the EGREGIOUS visual disasters, but when I first heard the end of their show and I realized that these college-aged musicians couldn't match unisons and octaves on a concert F, I thought they should have been fourth (yes, fourth...BD, Cavs/Crown, Phantom).

I learned how to do that in the sixth grade!

(Not to mention they hold that stupid note for like 30 seconds and they NEVER fix it...and I won't even get into the mistakes that happen when the other chord members enter!)

• Like 2

I just don't get how anyone can say that. There were so many poor musical moments throughout Spartacus. They were nothing compared to the EGREGIOUS visual disasters, but when I first heard the end of their show and I realized that these college-aged musicians couldn't match unisons and octaves on a concert F, I thought they should have been fourth (yes, fourth...BD, Cavs/Crown, Phantom).

(Not to mention they hold that stupid note for like 30 seconds and they NEVER fix it...and I won't even get into the mistakes that happen when the other chord members enter!)

Hey if you don't mind, can you please provide me with a specific time in the finals recording when they sounded like 6th graders? I can't find it.

(This actually isn't a sarcastic post. I'm far from a music major.)

THANK YOU!!!!!

• Like 3