Cavaliers hornline

Maybe visually, but certainly not musically. Phantom's overall musical package was LEAGUES better than anyone in DCI in 2008. Their brass was top notch (arguably could have been first), their percussion was arguably one of the best lines in DCI history (ridiculously hard book, super-duper clean) and their ensemble sound was terrific. Blue Devils were their equal in brass. No one else in DCI was even close to Phantom's quality in the other music captions. How they didn't get 20.0 in musical effect I'll never understand.

Visually? Yep, Phantom was weak. You can't compare scores from year to year, but spreads I think are more comparable. Phantom's visual was 0.65 behind the high visual score in 2008; going back to 1985 in recaps I don't see another championship corps that was more than 0.2 away from high visual. Then again, Phantom was 0.625 ahead of the 2nd place high music score, the biggest spread since 1997 Blue Devils (0.7 ahead of SCV in Mus Ens, Brass, & Perc).

I loved BOTH of the Top 2 shows in 2008. Phantom was musically strong, Blue Devils were visually strong. Being a musical guy, I liked Phantom better. MUSICALLY, I think Phantom was indeed one of the best shows in DCI history.

I agree with this guy.

any placement other than 1st is irrelevant

When i said no brass trophy, i was speaking in terms of this decade. Not 93487987 years ago

Move goal posts much?

• Like 3

It was MUCH better than how absolutely AWFUL BD sounded on their last note in 08. I heard that lead Euph in the stands.. and it was even worse on the recording. Not to mention bad sounds and some shoddy intonation. Personally, the last note of phantoms show was TONS more in tune, and I didn't here any intonation. I'm sorry but you HAD to have confused the two hornlines. When the BD leads cap it at the end it sounds AWFUL... which is a shame, because everything before the last 30 seconds of the show sounded pretty awesome.

And throughout Spartacus... there were many AMAZING musical moments. And that show came together VERY WELL visually. Not at the level that BD achieved, but good enough to win the championship It won a championship on finals night for a reason.

I do agree that the final note of BD 08 was pretty rough, too. However, I definitely didn't confuse the two hornlines. Listen to the ends of both recordings. If you don't hear what I'm talking about in Phantom's show, then you aren't listening!

But to me, being a bit above the ensemble like that BD guy is WAY less offensive than being 30 cents out of tune for 15 seconds straight. (His volume might also have been made more obvious by the recording, but it sounds like you heard it live, as well...so that can't be it.)

Also, the rest of BD's show was so great brasswise. Phantom, I'm just not a believer in their sound since the 03 debacle.

Of course, something tells me that I will never agree about Spartacus with a guy named "kickhaltsforlife" :thumbup: Agree to disagree!

• Like 1

But that Cavies hornline...

I'm with ya man! Well being a hard core Cavies fan I have always stuck with them, even when they had a show that wasn't up to par. They are my favorite corps and I will always give them praise. However, facts are facts and I will admit that the horn lines in the past were not as powerful as they should be. 2010... YES! It was a much more improved horn line! I can't wait till I see them again this summer. (so how about that show announcement Cavies?)

any placement other than 1st is irrelevant

When i said no brass trophy, i was speaking in terms of this decade. Not 93487987 years ago

That's obnoxious.

• Like 6

• 6 months later...

Who was the brass caption head in 2002 and 2006?

Peter Bond of the New York Metropolitan Opera.

Also a PR alum and soloist in Pagliacci in the 70's.

I remember seeing a vignette about him on the 1997 finals broadcast if I remember correctly.