The most overrated shows of the last decade

Cavaliers 2002. Yeah, it's a great show, but 2003 was lightyears ahead in terms of show design and performance (with the exception of visual).

Phantom Regiment 2003. One of the worst musical performances of all time. "Real musicians" look down on drum corps because of performances like this, especially since so many consider this their "favorite musical show" of all time. Egads.

Cavaliers 2004. I dunno...I just didn't buy into the hype that year.

Blue Devils 2007. Hello?! Did you see what The Cadets did that year?! No, you didn't...because you blinked. There was a great time-lapse video from that summer of the top few corps from up above (maybe in Atlanta?). Most corps were normal, The Cavaliers and Cadets absolutely FLEW by, and, well...let's just say the Blue Devils portion of the video was very telling.

Phantom Regiment 2008. The worst guard, visual design, and visual performance from a champion since (ironically enough) Phantom Regiment 1996, and the brass wasn't much better. Sure, my blood was pumping like every one else's at the end of that show, but that's no reason to forgive all of their unbelievable errors during the previous 12 minutes.

Ditto...

Pretty much everything on that list.

Plus, Blue Devils 2003 - I thought that the Cavaliers show concept and visual design/execution was far ahead of the Blue Devils that year. Even though the Blue Devils did have a catchy book.

Santa Clara Vanguard 2007 - I don't get why Eureka got the hype it did. I felt bored while I watched that show.

• Like 1

Cavaliers 2002. Yeah, it's a great show, but 2003 was lightyears ahead in terms of show design and performance (with the exception of visual).

Phantom Regiment 2003. One of the worst musical performances of all time. "Real musicians" look down on drum corps because of performances like this, especially since so many consider this their "favorite musical show" of all time. Egads.

Cavaliers 2004. I dunno...I just didn't buy into the hype that year.

Blue Devils 2007. Hello?! Did you see what The Cadets did that year?! No, you didn't...because you blinked. There was a great time-lapse video from that summer of the top few corps from up above (maybe in Atlanta?). Most corps were normal, The Cavaliers and Cadets absolutely FLEW by, and, well...let's just say the Blue Devils portion of the video was very telling.

Phantom Regiment 2008. The worst guard, visual design, and visual performance from a champion since (ironically enough) Phantom Regiment 1996, and the brass wasn't much better. Sure, my blood was pumping like every one else's at the end of that show, but that's no reason to forgive all of their unbelievable errors during the previous 12 minutes.

Are you serious?? Cavaliers 2004 was the best cavaliers show ever. The hornline of that year got robbed out of 1st place brass. Such an incredible show.

As for the topic - Definitely PR 2008. The show was excellent musically, but I just didnt enjoy it visually hardly at all. Then again I could say that for almost every PR show.

BD 2009 and 2010 - Both good shows, just neither one were championship shows in my book. Not so much overrated by people as much as judges.

Cavaliers 2006 - Yes it was one of the best visual shows of the decade, but musically it just was flatter than a stale soda sitting on the ground in high humidity and heat for 2 days.

Crown 2007 - Just never thought it was that good, the horse segment also was one of the cheesiest moments in the decade for me.

• Like 3

Blue Devils 2010

Blue Devils 2009

Carolina Crown 2009

Blue Devils 2008

Blue Devils 2008

Blue Devils 2008

Blue Devils 2008

Blue Devils 2008

Blue Devils 2008

Blue Devils 2010

Cadets 2005

Cadets 2006

Cadets 2007

Blue Devils 2008

Blue Devils 2008

Blue Devils 2008

and lastly...

Blue Devils, generally

• Like 3

Edited by BlooContraGuy
  • Like 2

Man, this whole thread is flame bait. Anyway, everything I am about to say is said with the utmost respect for any who may have marched in said groups. If you marched drum corps, you worked your butt off, and deserve all of the credit someone will give to you. My comments are strictly design oriented, and frankly, if the designers of these shows can't handle criticism, they shouldn't be in the arts.

Ok, that said, my overrated shows:

We'll start with a popular one. Spartacus. I loved this show. I still love this show. I still use it as an example of what drum corps music is supposed to be. However, it had its flaws, and talking to some people, you would think that it was the end all be all of drum corps and that all shows should be inspired by it.

Crown in general. 2002 (grass is greener) in particular. Again, I have tons of respect for the organization, and I think they've come a long way. However, I think they get a lot of hype because they are the newcomers, so they are the current bandwagon. They are certainly worthy of top 6 consideration, but some have tried to argue that they should have won in recent years, and they just aren't at that level from a design stand point.

Cascades 2002 (City Riffs). I didn't feel like this was a show worthy of top 12 consideration. There were definitely corps immediately outside the top 12 that deserved it more than they did.

Crossmen 2003 (colors). Didn't feel like this was cohesively put together. Certainly didn't think that it should have beaten Crown that year.

Pretty much every Cadets show since Stonehenge in 98. It always seems like there is one part of every Cadets show that I think it awesome, and the rest of it is specifically pandering to the judges. They always execute well, but pretty much since 2000 every drum solo has been the same, the drill writing has become stale and the conceptual parts of the program usually cross the line into gimmicky and (in my opinion) lame. I certainly didn't think they deserved to share the title in 2000. I'll probably get called a Cadets hater for this comment, but I just don't feel like they have pushed the limits of what is possible in the last decade the way they did in the 80's and 90's.

• Like 2

Why are shows like Blue Devils 01, 07, 09, 10, and Cavaliers 01 on here?

Overrated? Clearly this term does not hold the same meaning to everyone in this thread. While we're at it let's throw in Cavaliers 09, Phantom 09, Cadets 04, Crown 02, and SCV 05.

Now for the non-sarcastic part of my post:

Madison 2010- They cut off their sleeves and moved less, I do not see what's special with this show.

Cavaliers 02- It was cool to watch the first few times for Fight Club

Phantom 03- Bandos love this show, that is why it is popular

Crown 04- For the moderate amount of praise it gets, it falls short.

Cavaliers 2010- "How easy can we make the music book?"

Phantom 08- Great emotional connection, entertaining show but Legendary? Far from it. .026 lower and this show would be just another fun show.

• Like 4

Man, this whole thread is flame bait.

Not a single poster in this thread has gotten bent out of shape or flamed on anything. We're respecting each others opinions and sharing our thoughts on what we think are overrated shows.

• Like 1

I've never been able to get into Cadets 2000. It was a tremendous show that deserved to win outright (without the tie), and I understand why it is so popular. Just never flipped my switch, and I don't really know why.

That, and any show that goes out of its way to be "deep" or "dark". To me that's as fluffy as you can get. I can't think of a clumsier medium for expressing intellectual depth, yet some designers insist that that's what they're doing. But at least their shows usually end up being enjoyable on a superficial level.

Edited by Rifuarian
  • Like 1

Cavaliers 2010- "How easy can we make the music book?"

You really think this was easy huh? Interesting....

I got a chance to look at some of the music from last summer and it was far from easy. Don't confuse "hard" as meaning a group had lots of notes. Rhythm, counterpoint, harmony, tessitura, tonal language, timbre, and texture factor in to the equation there too.

• Like 1

band friends saying things like "Phantom and Crown are the only corps who play real music."

Exactly, Bloo.

The irony is that this "real music" is often precisely the opposite. Let's remember the 2008 Phantom DVD debacle.

From what I've been told, the composer gave temporary permission to use his music, pending his approval of the final product.

When he saw/heard his music being played, he thought it was an absolute ATROCITY, both from an arranging and performing standpoint, and reneged his permission to put that part of "his music" on DVD.

Also notice that Crown has been on a pretty big Bernstein kick recently, and the Bernstein estate JUST HAPPENED to quit granting performance rights to his music for marching groups, notably after some questionable arrangement liberties taken by Crown in the 2009 season.

What many drum corps fans consider "real music" is often considered a travesty by the actual composers and their families! Yikes.

• Like 1