The most overrated shows of the last decade

At the risk of repeating myself, I wish more current marching members took the time to post their thoughts on DCP.

It would be a real shame if they felt pressured to stop. This forum would be a much poorer place without them.

• Like 1

I agree with all of these except phantom 2006. I think that Phantom 2008 is falsely hyped as one of the best shows of all time, but I disagree. Not saying it should have been a BD win or phantom loss, but people hype this show like its their job

I recently did a Phantom marathon, where I watched every show. 2006 may be just as good as 89 and to me way better than 96. I agree on 08, but the last two minutes are what made that a great show. However, 06 was more of a complete show IMO. I think Crown 2010 is better than 09, but I can never watch that show w/o thinking about the accident much like BD 89 will forever be the frack reminder. Both great shows nonetheless.

I find it weird people get so bent out of shape over things like this.

It doesn't get *me* bent out of shape but I have to admit it *does* make me a little nervous. DCP is literally a minefield so whenever I see CMMs post (especially in thinly veiled "let's diss some corps") I'm just waiting for the "click -- BOOM!" to happen. And it *will* happen - always does :ph34r:

• Like 3

I don't think the issue is with the idea of current marchers commenting. The issue is that when you speak, and you are known to be a member of a particular organization, naturally, people will associate your comments with that organization. Many people here post credentials at the bottom of their posts and then comment however they please with no regard for the fact that they are representing all of the organizations in those credentials. I have marched many groups, and teach several as well, but I deliberately keep those organizations out of any conversations on this board because I know that I don't speak for them, and that I am often very opinionated. I am very proud to be a current or past member of those organizations, and wouldn't want to do anything to harm their reputations.

This is a similar concept to the speech I give my students every season about uniforms. The fact is, if people can see that you are a member of an organization, whether it be because you are in uniform, or because of a T-shirt you're wearing, or a jacket, or a list of things you've done on a message board, they will automatically perceive what you say as something that represents that organization.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

BD 2000 :

No explanation as to why the arrangement makes me experience side effects commonly associated with taking antibiotics

Phantom 2005:

I've heard the source music performed by almost every other corps prior to that year anyway

Crown 2009:

Just a drop in entertainment value from the previous 2 years

Cadets 2009:

It just didn't match up to what they did in '84 and '94, but still entertaining

Bluecoats 2010:

Way too many electronic sound effects for my taste. It took away from my enjoyment of the brassline.

SCV 2010: Same problem almost. I still can't get used to a piano sound in drum corps, and the fact that it carried the melody so often, ruined it for me. Replace the synth with a brass book in those parts, I would be a fan.

The reason I believe some shows mentioned above (ie. Phantom 2003/2008) is overhyped is due to the fact that so many people can relate to the music being played. The music makes sense, is easy to follow, and creates a sense of satisfaction for so many listeners that some other corps did not offer that year. It's just that alot of shows have been so intellectually constructed, that the output can make the brain hurt. Maybe I sound like a moron to some of you, but I am like most people that judge entertainment mainly by if I like what I hear, aesthetically. Just give me something I can follow and put some power and emotion behind it! Don't think I'm complaining about others' lists, it's just why I believe certain shows are overhyped.

What do you feel about 2007 cadets? They almost won with that show.

Every corps in 2010 except the Scouts. First time in 20 years I left a drum corps competition early.

BD 2007

Madison 2010- an alright show, but it wasnt gods gift to drum corps like some made it out to be.

SCV 2009

Thank you for mentioning Madison 2010 and SCV 2009. Two of the most boring shows in the last two years.

SCV 2009

I don't see what was so great about it. When your entire show is based around one moment and builds up to it, it isn't so great. The reason everybody stood up there was because it was like "FINALLY!" Too bad that one moment was like swiss cheese.

Edited by DCIfan90
  • Like 3