The most overrated shows of the last decade

How many people would I insult if I told you I prefer SCV's thoughtful treatment - musically and visually - of Bartok's Music for Strings, Percussion, and Celesta to Star's wonderful, but overhyped, 1993 production? Lots, I hope. How many more people would I insult I said that, in my opinion, Bartok was the best-designed show of 2010?

I would hope none of us would "insult" anyone with our preference in music or show productions. For example, I wouldn't be " insulted " if you told me that you liked John Tesh and have every recording he ever made... or Lady Gaga, or listening to the accordian belt out a lively Polka, or Bartok's SCV 2010 show,... or anything else for that matter. I'm sure I have some diiferent tastes in music that might put some posters on here to sleep, or maybe make their hair follicles stand on end. But so what ? What any of us like and prefer in music is NEVER an " insult " to anyone else... nor should it even be considered as such. If somebody becomes " insulted " by somebody's elses preference in music, then it THEIR problem, not the person who likes a particular song, artist, genre of music, etc.

If somebody loves SCV 2010... or Star '93.... or "fill in the blank " Corps show from any point in history, it's THEIR opionion. Nothing more. Nothing less. You see, when it comes to music preferences there are no right and wrong answers. If, for example, somebody tells you that something you love is boring beyond belief, and you say it's interesting and captivating, the fact of the matter is,.. you both are " right ".

Edited by BRASSO

I would hope none of us would "insult" anyone with our preference in music or show productions. For example, I wouldn't be " insulted " if you told me that you liked John Tesh and have every recording he ever made... or Lady Gaga, or listening to the accordian belt out a lively Polka, or Bartok's SCV 2010 show,... or anything else for that matter. I'm sure I have some diiferent tastes in music that might put some posters on here to sleep, or maybe make their hair follicles stand on end. But so what ? What any of us like and prefer in music is NEVER an " insult " to anyone else... nor should it even be considered as such. If somebody becomes " insulted " by somebody's elses preference in music, then it THEIR problem, not the person who likes a particular song, artist, genre of music, etc.

If somebody loves SCV 2010... or Star '93.... or "fill in the blank " Corps show from any point in history, it's THEIR opionion. Nothing more. Nothing less. You see, when it comes to music preferences there are no right and wrong answers. If, for example, somebody tells you that something you love is boring beyond belief, and you say it's interesting and captivating, the fact of the matter is,.. you both are " right ".

And I agree 100%. My beef was with the comment:

Please don't insult people by attempting to say something positive about SCV's show last season that was in reality a joke in comparison to drum corps of the past.

Having one's own taste in music is expected and welcome, as is one's taste in any corps' interpretation of that music. However, touting one's opinion as more fact and not so delicately implying that any difference to that opinion is an "insult", well...

That's a tad over the line.

In my opinion. :)

• Like 4

BD 2007- Yeah..... How did this win now?

BD won because the Cadets' annoying narration killed their show.

• Like 2

Dude, where have you been? You need to read more than the 1st 2 pages on these boards. Let me help you out.

Moderators!...I dont know if this is the right way to do this but... can you un-lock,

What the fans want...2011.

Rivalries in DCI.

Just those two, they are on page 25, please and thank you.

"Just say, Yes!", "Just say, Yes!" - "Just say, Yes!", "Just say, Yes!" - or at least respond, a simple "Yes" or no will suffice.

Thanks, keep up the good work.

Most overrated show I ever marched- 1985 MADISON SCOUTS! I just never GOT that show, it could of and should of been so... much better, in reality we choked!

Most underrated shows I ever marched- 1982 Madison jr. Scouts, 1989 MADISON SCOUTS! That jr. Corps if you ever see it had 28 horns, we won high horns at CCI. Phantom Regiment Cadets I believe had a 60 man horn line(the long blue line). Played Ive got Rythum, Legend of a one eyed Sailor, Ice Castles. Loved that Show!

89 MADISON SCOUTS-That show stands on its own. It should have been on live TV. But... we all know that story.

Edited by thirdcoast

Dude, where have you been? You need to read more than the 1st 2 pages on these boards. Let me help you out.

mods...I dont know if this is the right way to do this but... can you un-lock,

What the fans want...2011.

Rivalries in DCI.

Just those two, they are on page 25, please and thank you.

Thanks, you all.

• Like 1

It should be the default understanding that what someone says and writes is their opinion. Not having that as a default is how we ended up with the terrible popular style "IMHO it could be argued that...".

NB, when I say it's a terrible style, that's my opinion, not a universal truth or peer reviewed fact cited in a published journal.

See?

But back on topic, if SCV 2010 was a "joke," then I think that joke was lost on a great many people. Regardless of one's opinion, having some tact can go a long way. Hopefully he'll realize that in the future.

While I do understand your feelings, as a band director I'm always hearing both students and teachers stating their feelings as facts. So much so that I had a discussion with a history teacher ( friend of mine) regarding some so called facts he was teaching the kids. Instead of him telling the kids that it was he own personal feeling, he stated them as if they were facts. Yes, I know it's a PITA but we really do need to be clear about the difference between facts and opinions. But what the heck, thats just MHO.

I am wondering, for all the SCV 2010 show lovers, why did SOI place a close 2nd in 1993, while SCV 2010 only got 92pts and took 7th? And I do think that these shows really had not much in common anyway.

I was one of those last summer who were really pumped up for SCV's 2010 show, only to see it and be utterly disappointed. I was really hoping for a 1999-like show. Instead, what I saw last year, well, I don't even know what I could compare it to...popcorn?

I remember thinking about how the show was supposed to be about Bartok's music, when in reality, the music may have indeed been arrangements on Bartok's music, but it had in no way anything in common with Bartok's style, orchestration, theme, intent, etc. I really think it was a very good show idea gone awry...

I'm not going to go into detail what I didn't like about their show, but I really don't think it was in any way revolutionary...in fact, the music almost reminded me of something the Blue Devils might have played...not much melody, but even the visuals were...well...symmetric? Didn't they get the Cavaliers' old drill writer?

Oh well.

I hope their show this year is a lot more entertaining for me. Their percussion should be better, anyways.

Let's not forget though, when we argue with each other, that the drum corps activity is for the marchers, and in no way, shape or form, should we ever 'dis' the way the kids performed. THey work very hard out there.

When I complain about a show, or a corps, it's always directed at the staff. LOL! But it's true, they are the ones who write the shows.

BW

I am wondering, for all the SCV 2010 show lovers, why did SOI place a close 2nd in 1993, while SCV 2010 only got 92pts and took 7th? And I do think that these shows really had not much in common anyway.

While I'm not a big fan of SCV 2010, I think you mostly answered your own question: Star was a close second because they performed the snot out of the show. If GE judges would've gotten that show, they likely would've won (and this is coming from someone who puts Cadets 93 on a pedestal).

SCV didn't come CLOSE to executing that show at a Top 5 level, let alone a Championship contending level. Also, their show design wasn't as revolutionary as Star's was, and at times felt like "Themes and Variations on Star of Indiana 1993" IMO.

I'm not going to go into detail what I didn't like about their show, but I really don't think it was in any way revolutionary...in fact, the music almost reminded me of something the Blue Devils might have played...not much melody, but even the visuals were...well...symmetric? Didn't they get the Cavaliers' old drill writer?

No, Pete Webber isn't Cavaliers "old drill writer," though he is a Cavalier alum. He never wrote drill for Cavaliers, though he did teach their brass line.

And I agree 100%. My beef was with the comment:

Having one's own taste in music is expected and welcome, as is one's taste in any corps' interpretation of that music. However, touting one's opinion as more fact and not so delicately implying that any difference to that opinion is an "insult", well...

That's a tad over the line.

In my opinion. :)

Yes, that poster did cross the line, as the poster left the safe harbor where he had his ship docked and told others where to tie up their boat. The fact of the matter is, its not his call as its not his boat. The " insult " is not that some one did not heed his advice on where to put the boat. The real" insult " is that he's telling other people where they should harbor THEIR boat.

Edited by BRASSO