The most overrated shows of the last decade

There are way too many kids that idolize these two corps that don't know anything about the others. It annoys me when I hear my younger sister's band friends saying things like "Phantom and Crown are the only corps who play real music." And then when I ask them what any other corps played they don't know the answer.

Well there you go.

• Like 1

The irony is that this "real music" is often precisely the opposite. Let's remember the 2008 Phantom DVD debacle.

From what I've been told, the composer gave temporary permission to use his music, pending his approval of the final product.

When he saw/heard his music being played, he thought it was an absolute ATROCITY, both from an arranging and performing standpoint, and reneged his permission to put that part of "his music" on DVD.

It's odd that a composer objected to an arrangement of his music on DVD rather than CD.

It's odd that a composer objected to an arrangement of his music on DVD rather than CD.

Fair point. I believe it has something to do with copyright.

A CD recording is simply the music itself.

A DVD, however, includes a visual presentation, a color guard, and overall theatrics. If I understand it correctly, the copyright laws for creating this "dramatic" presentation differ from the simple musical presentation. Maybe that has something to do with it?

I should mention: the thing about Phantom is just what I heard from a number of (good) sources, including members that marched that year. I haven't verified it.

The copyright stuff, however, is my own conjecture.

Edited by Room_101

Fair point. I believe it has something to do with copyright.

A CD recording is simply the music itself.

A DVD, however, includes a visual presentation, a color guard, and overall theatrics. If I understand it correctly, the copyright laws for creating this "dramatic" presentation differ from the simple musical presentation. Maybe that has something to do with it?

I should mention: the thing about Phantom is just what I heard from a number of (good) sources, including members that marched that year. I haven't verified it.

The copyright stuff, however, is my own conjecture.

If your information about the composer is correct, then what happened presumably is that the recording license was secured before he heard the arrangement, but the synchronization license was not, and he refused to allow the latter. Something similar happened with the Troopers' use of Bon Jovi's music this year, except that the composer was presumably not involved: it was simply a matter of different companies holding different rights, and one of them refusing to allow the video to include the music without a fee DCI couldn't afford to pay.

Mind you, I don't think Phantom's "Spartacus" is overrated -- of course, I suppose that depends on how highly it's being rated! But I do believe it was the best show of 2008, and that was immediately apparent to me the one time I saw it and its competition that year, at the Quarterfinals theater-cast. Though I found later that I had underrated "Constantly Risking Absurdity" and "Samurai", which were not filmed to their advantage, at all.

• Like 2

Edited by BlooContraGuy
  • Like 3

BD 2000 :

No explanation as to why the arrangement makes me experience side effects commonly associated with taking antibiotics

Phantom 2005:

I've heard the source music performed by almost every other corps prior to that year anyway

Crown 2009:

Just a drop in entertainment value from the previous 2 years

Cadets 2009:

It just didn't match up to what they did in '84 and '94, but still entertaining

Bluecoats 2010:

Way too many electronic sound effects for my taste. It took away from my enjoyment of the brassline.

SCV 2010: Same problem almost. I still can't get used to a piano sound in drum corps, and the fact that it carried the melody so often, ruined it for me. Replace the synth with a brass book in those parts, I would be a fan.

The reason I believe some shows mentioned above (ie. Phantom 2003/2008) is overhyped is due to the fact that so many people can relate to the music being played. The music makes sense, is easy to follow, and creates a sense of satisfaction for so many listeners that some other corps did not offer that year. It's just that alot of shows have been so intellectually constructed, that the output can make the brain hurt. Maybe I sound like a moron to some of you, but I am like most people that judge entertainment mainly by if I like what I hear, aesthetically. Just give me something I can follow and put some power and emotion behind it! Don't think I'm complaining about others' lists, it's just why I believe certain shows are overhyped.

Edited by BrianM
  • Like 1

I don't quite understand why Phantom 2009 keeps showing up here. I've never heard anyone really give it much props outside of great organization/talent, bad design problems.

In response to the ZOMG CROWN PHANTOM camp, They are 2 of my top 3 corps (SCV being 3). I love Crown for the sound that their brass makes, the technique in impecable. Phantom, some of the greatest moments of the decade have come from his corps, imo. 08, killing the DM, 07 running firebird, 10 the soloist, the intro and the chevron, 03, like, the whole thing. I know that they aren't visually at the top, but I still love what they do. SCV is show concept/design love, for the record.

BD 07, 09, 10

Cadets 07, 08, 10

Crown 10

Cavs 09, 10

BCoats 07, 10

Glassmen 01-10

BStars 10

Troop 09

• Like 2